Divine name debate - Greg Stafford v Paul Lundquist etc

by yadda yadda 2 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• dog is god
    dog is god

So if "new" discoveries of "older" texts have the devine name....what is it?

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

I meant to say it's Lynn Lundquist, not Paul Lundquist.

If one day ancient manuscripts of the NT are discovered that contain the divine name then the Watchtower would be justified, if they followed correct hermeneutics, only in inserting the divine name where that newly discovered MSS contains it.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

May I raise an easier point? What does it matter? A rose by another name would smell as sweet. Jehovah is not YHWH! Jewish scholars refer to YHWH, not Jehovah. The Witness place enormous importance on God's personal name, Jehovah (again, manifestly incorrect). I submit God would be God if we called him Al or Murray.

I am confused by "I am what I am" which seems more logical for a transcedent God who is not human (the OT God) than Jehovah. Naming something limits our conception of the entity in some ways. The Jewish God cannot be catagorized. I wonder if YHWH having a personal name is a carryover from other Canannite religions. What is so godly about the term Jehovah or even YHWH. It reminds me of magic. Place a spell with a magic name or incanatation.

Once I was very interested in such debates. Now it merely reminds me of Christ died on a cross or torture stake. Is the important fact the Nicene formulation. That God was born God and human. Died, and was Ressurection. Will come again. or that Jesus' eyebrow had a certain arch on the day he was crucified.

Anyway, we all know the Virgin Mary only wore Virgin Mary blue and that Jesus had blue eyes, blonde hair, and the voice of a Royal Shakesperean actor.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit