Detail SIMILARITIES between JWs and Mormons

by Black Man 13 Replies latest jw friends

• okage
    okage

Both share the impossible belief God set up headquarters in America. Both are figureheaded by humans claiming to be channels of God, the JWs have their Governing Body while the LDS have their interchangeable prophet.

Neither believed black people were equivalents to white people until long after the Civil Rights movement, and then claimed that their change of stance was ordained through God, not through pressure from social progression. Most Witnesses deny the WTS ever held a negative view toward black people.

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

Rebel8 did a chart displaying the similarities between both. I lost the file and the link somehow.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Here is a comparison chart from jwfacts.com

MormonJehovah's WitnessesSeventh-day AdventistChristadelphians
    Origin1800's America1800's America1800's America1800's America
    FounderJoseph SmithCharles RussellEllen WhiteDr Thomas
    TrinityNoNoYes, though some groups reject the TrinityNo
    Narrow SalvationOnly one true religionOnly one true religionOnly one true religionOnly one true religion
    Salvation RequirementsFaith, repentance, baptism, continued righteousnessFaith, repentance, baptism, continued righteousnessFaith, repentance, baptism, continued righteousnessFaith, repentance, baptism, continued righteousness
    ArmageddonNot the end of this earthNot the end of this earthNot the end of this earthNot the end of this earth
    ArmageddonDestruction of most of mankindDestruction of most of mankindDestruction of most of mankindDestruction of most of mankind
    Time PropheciesYesYesYesYes
    SabbathYesNoYesNo
    Soul MortalNoYesYesYes
    Go to warYesNoNoNo
    Promote Love and Strong CommunityYesYesYesYes
    ShunYesYesNoYes
    Strict Moral CodeYesYesYesYes
  • james_woods
    james_woods

OK, we had practically this same thread a few days back - and I am going to repeat here what I said on the first one: I do not think that there is too much specific similarity between the JWs and Mormons.

I am not so sure that there is really all that much similarity, except that both are pretty well out of the mainstream:

The JWs are absolutely driven by a fascination with the "Jehovah-God" and that name. The Mormons at least name themselves "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints". References to Christianity in JW ordinary worship is always subjected to the Jehovah fetish.

The JWs are also completely consumed by an obsession with the end of the world, "Armageddon", "Great Tribulation", and setting false prophetic dates for all of these. I have not seen the Mormons doing anything of the sort.

The JWs are, again, different because of their absolute fear and loathing for anything "of the World". No college, no politics, no involvement with community, holding mainstream jobs is suspect, and so on. The Mormons seem very active in trying to blend in with general society.

One of the primary distinguishing factors of the JWs is the deadly "blood doctrine". The Mormons have nothing of the sort - (no alcohol, no coffee does not even start to come close)

Perhaps the closest parallel would be the Mormons door to door ministry (which Witnesses also do) - but here again there are differences; the main one being that Mormons do this as a voluntary "missionary" and it is viewed as an expression of service to their church, not so much at all as an effort to gain recruits; certainly not as a warning to the world of some impending end.

As has been noted - both JWs and Mormons have some VERY ODD doctrinal teachings. Very odd at least to people who have applied independent critical thought to both teaching systems. But then, so do practically every other major or minor religion you can name.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit