Have the GB wised up to the dangers of e readers yet?

by londonlady 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• londonlady
    londonlady

just trying out the new kindle myself and i realised that with its password protected facility, it would be possible to download all manner of forbidden books and magazines without the elders or jw parents knowing.

i'm surprised there hasn't been dire warnings issued about this yet? or have the GB yet to hear about e readers?

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

With the recent allowance of using them at meetings, via the letter to the body of elders, the answer is no, they don't understand.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

might (not) go back so i can read my books during those boring meetings,

truth is, i used to read other stuff anyways during the meetings LOL

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Hi londonlady! My cong is full of ipads, kindles and nooks. Everybody's doing it. It's the latest sensation!(Fad, craze, not materialistic)

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

makes for light meeting bags

• shamus100
    shamus100

The nice thing about it is you can have Angry Birds on them and play the theme song whilst the meeting is going on. It really goes well with it!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The GB are most older, uninformed men who are not really Tech Savvy. They have demonized the internet and technology for years, thus I think it must have been younger men in the writing or service departments who finally made inroads with the GB and got them to face the fact that this technology is not only just here to stay, it is the way of the future. Thus, the new efforts to promote and expand jw.org. No doubt, some of the sales pitch was that this enables JWs and interested ones to get literature at their own out-of-pocket expense. No paper cost, no printing cost, no labor costs.

Sure the internet is still the greatest source of "evil" against the WTS, but anything the WTS tries to do about that will have no effect. The Information Age is here and they must face the fact that they cannot control the information that is out there anymore. By utilizing it more themselves, it should mean more good or favorable "hits" than negative ones when someone googles JW or WT.

Doc

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

The Internet has definitely allowed us "mentally diseased" apostates to connect with each other and compare notes. I don't think the GB fully understands the danger of collaboration by thousands of ex-JWs worldwide.

It's kind of like using spy drones and satellite technology against a Medieval fortress.

http://scottleblog.wordpress.com

The Odd Life of Jehovah's Witnesses

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

We've got a handful of people in the congregation that use their Ipads openly from their seats. Can't do it on the platform per a recent letter though.

I like the fact that a JW can download a copy of Ray Franz's books, or Carl Olof Jonsson's books amongst others without actually having a physical copy to keep hidden. One can have a gangload of apostate material on their device unbeknownst to anyone else. It definately makes it easier to research TTATT on the low. Couldn't imagine someone visiting my pad and going, "what an impressive book collection. What's this one, Crisis of Conscience about?" "Oh nothing, nothing at all."

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They have denegrated everything that could have made it easier to take not at homes without pencil and paper. Typing it into an address book--you could lose them (like you couldn't lose a paper copy). You could make a typo on the house number (I have seen not at homes and calls with such sloppy writing that I couldn't tell if it was 54 or 64, and got sent to the wrong door). They say that batteries on those things die (as if pencils don't break or run out of lead, require sharpening, and eventually run out totally). And that was back in the 1990s.

Give them a few more years, and the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger will come out with something against the e-readers. They are always behind the curve--remember how they ranted against disco in 1983, after it was past peak? In theory, I could load an iPad with a few books and web sites, including this one, and read that during the boasting sessions. Or, I could download pages off of Joy of Satan, including Exposing Christianity, and study how to perform rune magick or other forms of witchcraft while everyone else is studying a washtowel rag that speaks against that very subject. I could download pages from both here and Joy of Satan, among dozens of other sites, or even watch videos during the boasting session on an iPad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit