As A Jehovah's Witness Did You Never Accept Or Believe Something They Taught?

by minimus 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Ding
    Ding

I don't think I ever fully bought into the Jesus = Michael teaching or the anointed/other sheep distinction.

It wasn't that I thought they were definitely wrong (that development came later); it's that their reasoning seemed to involve a handful of scattered and tenuous prooftexts and a lot of supposition. "Evidently...," "Reasonably, then..."

In retrospect, I think I somehow realized that the publications were exalting the role of the organization and diminishing the role Jesus is supposed to have in the life of the average Christian. All the self-exalting "how grateful we should be for the faithful and discreet slave" ate away at me. The NT writers focused on Jesus, not on themselves or some organization.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I never believed in their anti education stance. In fact, I continued my lieftime commitment to life long learning as a publisher/ ministerial servant/ and elder. I was working on a doctoral degree whe I quit as an elder. I never talked to anyone about what I was doing, I just did it.

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

min-"I never believed chess was an improper game for "true Christians" to play."

i had heard about chess promoting war but chess was big with a few of us in our cong. oh, but the arguments that would break out after an epic win. the only WAR involved sore losers.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

That the resurrected ones would come back to never marry and have sex.

I always understood "return as angels" to refer to those resurrected in heaven, but not to refer to those on earth.

Now, I don't believe in any of it.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Male headship! Couldn't understand why Jehovah would do that to women when some men in the congregation were such $h!t$. I hoped that in the new system Jehovah would explain it to me. LOL! It was Desmond Morris that explained to me why some men treat women so badly in The Naked Ape.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

i never believed it was improper to dance (hold) with the op sex.

plus many others

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I never accepted that pious-sneering was of any benefit. Suppose you can get into the "new order" by doing just the minimum. Anything you do above and beyond that, except if doing so brings you other actual benefits, is a complete waste. Would you use 100 watts of energy to do the job you could do with 12 watts, just as nicely? When is the last time you paid double or triple, or more, the actual price of something on purpose? Would you pay 70 times the price of something on purpose? That is what you are doing if you pious-sneer.

Jehovah asking you why you didn't pious-sneer? Jehovah demanding an accounting because "you could have pious-sneered in February 1961. Why didn't you?". Is there a reason why Jehovah wants you to pay too much? Suppose you went to the store and something you need to buy is marked a toilet paper. You pay the marked price, and the manager demands "You could have paid 100 toilet papers for that item. Why didn't you?". Would you want to go back to that store? Most people wouldn't. Demanding why you didn't pay more or do more is just not fair.

I also never believed that I could be affected by music I had been listening to safely for 10 years or more. I have been listening to a favorite song quite a bit for something like 10 or 15 years. Why is that song now suddenly going to make me start drinking and fighting? And why are the Demons all of a sudden going to start attacking me for having a Ouija board or amulet or talisman that I have had since 1970? So it might be proper for me to do something--but I can't do it because I might make someone else think it's proper. Either it's proper or it's not, idiots. And, if I have been doing something for 15 years without any effect, why is it suddenly improper? People have different weaknesses--for instance, with cold and heat. One person might be freezing in 15 o weather while someone else might be fine. The person that is just fine in that weather needs to dress up so the person who is freezing won't think they can do it too? Doesn't personal experience count for anything, idiots?

Also, so what if I feel like wearing a different color shirt? What about if I feel like using a different style of field circus bag that might do the job better in my situation but not necessarily for someone else? I might be fine "underdressed" for the weather, particularly if I have to work out in field circus on a cold May morning when the sun is shining. I might be cold at 8 in the morning, but it will be more bearable by 9 or 10. By lunchtime, I am the only one not sweating, and I am starting to get warm by 2 in the afternoon while everyone else is miserable. Why should I do things the way that works for "everyone else" if I find something works better for me? Even if I am not perfectly comfortable at all phases, I am better off later in the game. Besides, flexibility is better if the unexpected happens--like having a flashlight that is "treif" because Brother Hounder thinks it might stumble others. Just wait until we are in a hallway, on unsteady stairs, lit only by a squiggly thing, and that squiggly thing suddenly blows out. Then, who is going to be stumbled?

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

Jehovah hates birthdays, college, beards, prohibited sex between married ones, etc. But i kept parroting the words from WT anyway.

Ironically, I "realized" their reasoning was plain weak, which is why I failed to believe, but I thought they must be right. So I proved to myself what they taught using good research and proper reasoning techniques.

That didn't last. lol.

• Woody22
    Woody22

That only JW's would survive armeggedon

• tornapart
    tornapart

Never believed only JWs would survive Armageddon.

Never believed it would come when they said it would.

Never believed I had to tell the elders if a friend was 'doing something wrong'.

Never believed I had to shun family if Df'ed.

Couldn't accept flood was a global one.

Could never accept that a 'creative day' was as short as 7,000 years

Never believed all the 'generation' changes.

Never believed all the Revelation prophecies they applied to themselves.

Lots of minor things that I couldn't agree with just because they said they were wrong or right.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit