Jehovah's Witnesses Watchtower SUICIDE . How many JW suicides can you recall?

by Anti-Cult 62 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Zordino
    Zordino

I could think of 4. one was an MS in his 30's, another was a woman who was a single mom who was having sexual relations with a "brother" After he dumped her and hooked up with another woman, this poor single mom ran in front of oncomng traffic and was hit by a truck going 80km/hr. Very sad! Another the disfelowshiped son of an elder. And the last was a man in his early 50's who's wife left him for his best friend (all were JW's) and drowned himself in a lake. There are several other stories I've heard of severely depressed JW's. The WT brainwashed ones would say stupid things like " Critical times hard to deal with are here" "proof that we are in the last days" or " Satan is working over time on J's people" The list of retarded sayings goes on and on.

• Elizabeth123
  • PrincessPeachz
    PrincessPeachz

2 who went through with it, several who tried and failed/gave up, many who contemplated including myself

• Kool Jo
    Kool Jo

I knew a brother in local congregation (former MS) who had some issues with his wife. His wife turned his two kids against him and became distraught. She left him and went to another part of the country while trying to suck every penny from him....he had a very low paying job, so he did what he could...even his own JW family treated him like crap. Many others in the congregation showed little or no regards for him, because they thought he was the problem...the stress built and a few months ago, he was found by a relative hanging from the roof of his own house

Can you beleive that the wife didn't want the kids to attend the funeral?

• Branded Rebel
    Branded Rebel

I knew a few and have also contemplated ending my own life. I can understand why people in the org do it. It's an escape from all the crap and guilt you get put through. It's the worst feeling when the only thing you've ever known has been raised as a JW and conditioned from birth and then if you screw up or realise it's not for you, you're stuck for good. If you leave, you lose everything and everyone you've ever known. Thrown to the wolves is not a nice feeling. Being beat up by those in the congregation you trusted and stabbed in the back really hurts. Gossip, mean heartedness and spiteful sarcastic comments all hurt and drove me so low that I sought professional help for depression. Surprise! They gave me drugs which depressed me more because the congregation didn't understand how I was feeling. I needed spiritual help and had a CO and PO give me s 'sheparding call' that was nothing but the final nail in my coffin. They refused to give me spiro help when I asked for someone to study some basic truths with me to rekindle my love - nope - nada - nothing! I was told I should read my bible and go preaching. Two things I coldn't do. I couldn't even pray. I was low - real low. They didn't care. I felt that death was the only place I'd find peace. I got in my car and turned on the engine. Sat there in the garage and then one thought went through my head that made me press the remote control button for the garage door:- 'Jehovah won't forgive you if you do this'. Boy did I cry and cry and cry. I felt like I was living in limbo. The pain was unbearable. I threw the medication out. I believed it has started me on this dark path. I sought cognitive councelling to help unbrainwash me. It worked. I came to realise that how the org treated me was not right. I started to realise there were others like me who has similar experiences of being put down and treated unjustly. There are so many of them out there and the comforting to know is that there are so many JWs who think they are going to make it, but because they caused other members to leave will have blood on their hands. Even though I am not a practicing witness and don't go to meetings, I still believe Jehovah is the only true God and he will give me justice. I don't have to answer to imperfect men and refuse to do so. If I'm such a wicked, bad person in my heart, then Jehovah can see that and either way at Armageddon all suffering will end. I'm happy now I have come to realise I don't have to be imprisioned by the guilt mind games they hand out to control you. I've discovered I do have a choice. I'm still a good person even though I don't go to meetings. For the first time in my life, I have started to love myself. Only ever knew what that was like after I left. At 34, I'm starting to live!

• BlindersOff1
    BlindersOff1

I deal with suicidality and know of 6 around here .

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

I was in from birth until I was about 26, and I can only think of two cases. One was a young brother with small kids who decided to become a police officer and was constantly getting crap about it from the elders. They tried to counsel him not to do it, but apparrently he really wanted to be an officer, and they couldnt' DF him for it even though it's discouraged, so he just did it. They kept playing games with him, like taking away his "privileges" one at a time - not letting him carry the microphones, not letting him even give #2 talks, and so on. I think there were other factors as well in his suicide, but I felt bad about the hassle and embarrassment they were constantly putting him through for just doing the freaking job that he wanted to.

• booker-t
    booker-t

When I was in High School in the early 80's a friend of mine was a "devout" JW's and one day the elders announced the police found him hung in an alley. I was in a state of shock because he seemed so happy. I do not know if it was murder or suicide. I believe the police ruled it a suicide. His family feel apart after this. His younger brother hates JW's now.

• frankiespeakin
  • Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

3 of I know personally, including my little brother because, even tho he was never baptized the family was shunning him because he was gay.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit