Duane Magnani and the "no meetings" child custody injunction

by outsmartthesystem 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Just here casually. I suspect someone like my father might have a no meetings injunction against him but not b/c of the Witnesses. He was pathological and that could be proven. He used the Witnesses as a cudgel to back up his authority. His authority was self-styled and had no reality in law. Of course, tell a little kid being beat and punished that.

Someone not willing to compromise on either side might earn the ire of a judge. It is dependent on the facts before the court. Applies to JWs , in particular, is not const'l.

Any Roman Catholic, Baptist, or Pentecostal could earn demerits, too.

Zealotry, at the expense of the child's welfare, will not pay. It will penalize. I must state that my JW aunt and uncle would have made great parents.

The Amish Supreme Court decision, allowing them to not finish mandatory state education, infuriated me. I wanted to devote my life to evening the playing field. The sad part is that parents carry emotional baggage. It is hard to walk away from them, even if you know you must or you will die. Education is so central in civil rights law but Amish children have no rights.

I stopped attending KH by announcing that the police would have to handcuff me and take me there. And I was very serious.

This entire area continues to excite me, revolt me, and leaves me confused.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I remember more than ten years ago, can't remember which cable channel it was, but it showed the court case of a JW mom and nonJW dad fighting for custody. The JW mom loss, can't remember all details at this point, but the dads complaint was that his son was being taken out on just about a daily basis in FS and to the evening meetings and he was concerned about the child being fed properly, etc. I clearly remember the judge asking the mom if he was fed properly, what time were his meals and what she fed him, also remember her typical JW attire of the "Stepford wife" floral, long sleeved, below the knee dress.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

James Woods asked, " BTW - who exactly is this Duane Magnani?"

Duane Magnani was a member of the Jehovah's Witnesses for eighteen years. After he became a Christian (Roman Catholic) in 1974, he founded Witness, Inc. He has also published a book, THE WATCHTOWER FILES, which can be purchased used on Amazon for as little as $0.01. He has an ENORMOUS collection of Watchtower publications and WATCHTOWER criticisms. He is extremely knowledgable but prefers that anyone dealing with him fully agree with and support his opinions and choices, in my opinion. If you choose to work with him, agree with everything he says, and do not dare suggest that you might be an atheist.

A google search on his name will reveal so me of his more recent activity and some photos.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    He is extremely knowledgable but prefers that anyone dealing with him fully agree with and support his opinions and choices, in my opinion. If you choose to work with him, agree with everything he says, and do not dare suggest that you might be an atheist.

Very interesting - sounds like maybe he still has some residual control-freak issues himself.

I still doubt that the society would willingly support having a JW parent sign off on volunarily signing a document saying they would not take their kids to meetings - but of course the JWs have done some crazy things.

And, I agree with BOTR - this would have to be EXTREMELY rare if it were an order from the court. Too many constitutional issues.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit