update on my hellish life

by outsmartthesystem 10 Replies latest jw friends

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

I think I am going to have to change my name to screwthesystem. I just couldn't take it anymore. Knowing full well what would happen.....I let my FIL know how I felt about the organization. He promptly called the COBE from the KH I faded from and the COBE called me asking to set up an appointment. When I inquired why he said, "oh...you know we like to make visits to the sheep every now and then". I said, "well, I'm good. thanks anyways." He said, "well, um....er...um...we um...heard....ya know...um that you....ya know...um....". I said "Ah.....so this ISN'T just an out of the blue shepherding visit like you tried to indicate?" He said..."well no.....we just want to ask you some questions and you know.....see how you're doing....spiritually". I said, "well.....it's a good thing I cleared that misunderstanding up, isnt it? Tell you what. I am going to send my materials to Bethel. When they answer my questions (which they wont' even attempt to do), I'll call you back." He said....'um....ok that sounds fine....um.....when will you be sending the material?" I said "pretty soon......nice talking to you".

Here is what I am going to do. Effective immediately I am joining the YMCA and taking my oldest daugher with me to play raquetball. Previously I used to walk on eggshells....and would never dream of doing such a thing so as to not upset the wife. I am going to strongly urge her (my child) to sign up for fall/winter basketball. I will take her to practice and games. In three weeks will be my birthday. I will buy myself a cake and celebrate in front of them. And they are no longer allowed to go to every meeting. They can go with my wife every other time she goes. I am tired of her controlling what the children watch.....what activities they do....what they learn etc. I am tired of worrying that I've pissed off the queen bee that I've been too liberal. I am doing things my way now. I am giving my children the opportunities that were stolen from me. And if she doesn't like it....she can walk. I will call Duane Magnani.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Good for you. Glad you put the calling elder on the spot. They think they can just drop by to shepherd, when in reality they want to harass you and belittle you. Keep us posted on how the future goes after you open the doors to freedom to celebrate birthdays and enjoying after school events.

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

You are now on the radar. Or at least more so then before. I would cease to communicate in any way shape or form with the BOE from this point forward. They can and will act on anything out of your mouth whether you are present or not at a JC.

How do your children feel? To what extent are they controlled by mom and what are their inclinations towards spiritual activities?

My two youngest children strive to please their mom by going along with meetings etc. to keep the peace in her home. They also look forward with a passion to spending time with me when they are allowed to do all the things their peers are doing, i.e. extra cirricular school activities, BD parties, holidays. I encourage them to cooperate when they are with mom and at the same time I diligently strive to provide them with the alternative when they are with me. It is my firm belief that any child when given the opportunity of "choice" when it comes to their maturation process and an allegience to the WBTS, will clearly discern the motivations of each parent and their ideals of upbringing. Without "alienating" the mother you can still show a life choice to your children allowing them to have a more balance view of their personal belief system.

What has been in my corner is unconditional love and displaying to them that they truly come first in my life. While I may not agree with some of their decisions, I would never abandon them hook line and sinker. Without so much as one single effort by myself they have been able to discern that they are not truly the first place in mom's life. Mom has even spelled it out for them...first is jehovah, then the organization, the elders, my new husband and then you. While she attempts to convince them that they are all important to her, her choices display otherwise. Some would argue that children can be petulant and manipulative. That may very well be true. But as they grow older, will they not seek out parental guidance that clearly gives them unbiased stimulation to promote wise and personal choices unclouded by rigid dogma and pressure at the hands of highly indoctrinated spiritual leaders? It is a choice I was never afforded.

I believe children need both parents even if both parents can not agree on a world view. I do not believe children should be used as pawns in order to irritate another parent who has a differing world view. Communication with children without derailing their other parent is possible. Asking them viewpoint questions is far more productive then dictating what they have to do, when, where, and how. Maybe they dont want to play sports, or celebrate birthdays, holidays etc? Maybe it is because of the indoctrination they are still receiving? But maybe the dont want to go to meeting, field service or participate in family bible study either? Once they learn to use a respectful voice, they can lobby for themselves. They are going to mature, and given the right tools of discernment and analyzation, they are going to break free from the bonds a religious sect, cult or creed places upon them.

My greatest fear is that upon their path to adulthood, they would ever blame me for disrupting a relationship with their mom. Kids change. What means a great deal to them today could mean the opposite 10 years from now.

I think what I am trying to say is, leave the religion and the chess games with the elders and mom out of the equation with your kids. And if you insist on going there, try to shelter them from the fact that the game is actually taking place. I am not naive. I know the type of brainwashing they are no doubt getting from mom. But dont stoop to her level. You are not Satan. Your kids will know this for certain as they become adults.

I get the feeling from your OP that you are still together with mom? What are the chances that a sit down and discussion about your views would yield favorable results from her to avoid YEARS of misery moving forward apart?

I genuinely feel for you. I wish you the best. I apologize if my comments seem off base or cause you irritation. I am living it and thought my experiences could provide material for thought.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Great job, tylin.

It's a no-brainer for your kids: they see who has the TRUE fruitage of love for them.

Only thing I'd advise is making sure to do all of that Worldly stuff with them on the down-low, as if they are seen eg celebrating a birthday with you, that places them in a tough position when they're back in the congregation with her (that's my own experience as a kid speaking). The more time they have living outside of the cult in Normal World, the easier it'll be for them to simply fade as they get older, and go their own way in life.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

OSTS, sounds like you're leaving hell and moving to more temperate climes!

Good for you on no longer agreeing to be bullied by the elders. You've taken control and they don't like that, but there is really nothing they can legitimately do.

Fortunately you've done it before your family was split apart. Of course, your wife may choose to leave you, who knows, but that is VERY different than you leaving them.

Keep us posted!

00DAD

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

YESSSSSS!!!!

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Well done to you! I wish I'd known the TATH while my kids were still young so that I could have saved them from the WTBS. I didn't get it until far too late. All credit to you for taking a strong stand now. I wish you the very best.

Loz x

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

More power to you!

http://scottleblog.wordpress.com

The Odd Life of Jehovah's Witnesses

• carla
  • blindnomore
    blindnomore

You are taking your power back. Good for you! I agree with you 100%.

While Tylinbrando made some good points and sugessetions, they apply more to older children like teens, in my opinion. I understand your children are still very young. Another thing, never walk away your home especially without your children. What 00DAD said. Stand your ground for your children sake.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit