Conti update article: "Watchtower Loses Conti Appeal - But Fights On"

by cedars 147 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• cedars
    cedars

Hi everyone

I've published a new article on my blog explaining where things are up to with the Candace Conti case.

As well as detailing the latest developments, I also summarize the events since June and reveal some of Kathleen Conti's thoughts on what's in store for the Watchtower.

Here is the link:

http://jwsurvey.org/cedars-blog/watchtower-loses-conti-appeal-but-fights-on

As always, if you can think of a way that the article can be improved, I would love to hear feedback!

Thanks!

Cedars

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Thanks for all your hard work,Cedars.

Bangalore

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Great article, Cedars! Your reporting style has really improved.

I would suggest you change the word "sanction" in the first paragraph of "The Losing Battle" section:

"... a known pedophile could potentially call at anyone’s door on a Saturday morning with the sanction of his or her local elders."

Although you used it correctly to mean approval, it's a problematic word, especially in this legal context as the word "sanctions" can mean: "penalties imposed by courts."

sanc·tion

noun

• authoritative permission or approval, as for an action.
    • something that serves to support an action, condition, etc.
    • something that gives binding force, as to an oath, rule of conduct, etc.
    • Law
      • provision of a law enacting a penalty for disobedience or a reward for obedience.
      • the penalty or reward.
    • International Law
      • action by one or more states toward another state calculated to force it to comply with legal obligations.

Because of its multiple contradictory meanings depending on the context, it's just unnecessarily confusing. Probably if you said "blessing" or "approval" it would be better. Personally I like "blessing" as it has that oh-so-appropriate religious flavor. But some might feel that's "yellow journalism".

00DAD

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks 00DAD, I appreciate the compliments!

I actually used the word "sanction" because it was used by Rick Simons in the same context.

He said:

"He [Kendrick] could come to my house on a Saturday morning, and all of the jury (none of them were Jehovah’s Witnesses) were aghast that people could be coming to your door with the sanction of a religious organization who knows they are convicted child abusers."

See my pervious article: http://jwsurvey.org/cedars-blog/the-girl-who-took-on-the-watchtower-candace-conti-speaks-out

What do you reckon?

Cedars

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Your article, your call. I just know that most people do NOT speak legalese and are NOT likely to look up the meaning of the word.

Again, you used the word correctly, but since it has a multiple meanings which are completely contradictory depending on context it will likely confuse many readers.

Remember, 50% of all people are of below average intelligence and the majority of all people are lazy!

Your article, your call.

00DAD

• cedars
    cedars

Yes, I understand it needs to be readable to everyone. I do love my words though!

Would "consent" be better do you think?

Cedars

[edit post: or maybe "backing"?]

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Cedars, do you know for a fact that " by hiring another attorney .. Candace is 'raising the stakes' and taking a considerable risk financially.

I would suspect that in a case like this Mr. Falk would be working on a contigency basis.

00DAD

• 00DAD
    00DAD

You said,

She [ Kathleen ] has revealed that an increasing number of similar lawsuits are now being planned, inspired by the Conti case, that the Watchtower Society is presently unaware of.

Is it a good idea to make this public?

00DAD

• cedars
    cedars

00DAD

Cedars, do you know for a fact that "by hiring another attorney .. Candace is 'raising the stakes' and taking a considerable risk financially.

All I can say is I have insider information to support that comment! Even if it's on a contingency basis, a more expensive attorney PLUS another attorney working on in an advisory role eats into the eventual payout.

Cedars

• 00DAD
    00DAD

I love your words too, but this isn't prose, this is reporting.

You probably don't know that I was a reporter and an editor for a Los Angeles based Film Industry magazine for a few years. I'm not just being flip or contrary.

Love your words, but this isn't about you my friend!

00DAD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit