email from father in law

by outsmartthesystem 42 Replies latest jw friends

• dreamgolfer
    dreamgolfer

Well put - 00Dad - I agree, a little long, and not good at defusing the very volitile situation that has come around.

Short and Sweet is the bestest way,

You are good Son in Law!

Take care

• sizemik
    sizemik

outsmartthesystem . . . it might not be what you had in mind . . . but the previous two posters are right.

Debating doctrine, policies, mistakes, scandals etc., just doesn't get through. A shutter goes up like one of those bank-teller anti-robber shields . . . your lips are moving but they can't hear you. The best it will produce is a stand-off, an uneasy truce . . . at worst (and most likely), you will quickly be viewed as an active apostate and dangerous. That wall can then become rather permanent . . . without options. It's not a hand you necessarily have to play now.

Give 00DAD's suggestion on simplicity some serious thought. A strongly held position can still be articulated briefly with a kind tone . . . and probably has a better chance of being actually absorbed. Parties end up less "entrenched" than with a protracted challenge on multiple issues. Relationships soured unecessarily can work against us. Been there.

It depends what you wish to achieve for your particular circumstances . . .

• DilemmaGF
    DilemmaGF

The Bible told me to put my faith in Jesus and no one/nothing else. And Jesus didn't say anything about Jehovah's organization...

• smiddy
    smiddy

Black Sheep

I know I`m a bit dense sometimes ? but could you elaborate a tad more please ? What`s the ONE question he has to answer ?

Just asking

smiddy

• irondork
    irondork

tag

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

It's a very well expressed response, but I agree that it is way too long and will be overwhelming for your FIL. He said:

"You choose to believe the secular side of things while I choose to accept the information provided by Jehovah's organization. Both sides make assumptions to get to where they end up."

There's your opportunity. Black Sheep and others have said to ask a question and get the JW to teach you, and not let him deviate from giving a direct and truthful answer to it. Discuss nothing else until that one question has been satisfactorily addressed.

If he chooses to accept the info provided by Jehovahs' Org., then he can use its publications to provide a list of all the Babylonian rulers and their lengths of reign from 625-539 BCE. Get him to explain it to you and do the math. Get him to explain why there's a 20 year discrepancy when the WTS's regnal years are used.

Just a suggestion FWIW.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I cant understand why suggesting reading the book of James would in any way benefit anyone in accepting a dangerous cult back into their lives.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Even without all of the secular evidence, the Bible contradicts the JW doctrine.

• Sulla
    Sulla

I endorse Ann's recommendation. The JW plan is to offer up full-spectrum defense -- otherwise known as changing the subject. You have your opening with the comment about "assumptions," grab hold of it and don't let go.

"You mentioned assumptions that everybody uses. Can we go through the list of kings to see what those assumptions are?"

Good luck, you'll need it. Just make sure you don't go talking about more than one thing at a time. That's the JW game.

• jemba
    jemba

Great facts 'outsmart' a really good read. I love how you ended on such a kind note. I hope he doesnt send this to the elders, it would be great if he could start to do some research to prove you 'wrong' and end up seeing TTATT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit