"Social Retardation"

by Alana 12 Replies latest social relationships

• Alana
    Alana

Question for those who were raised as JWs.....after you left, especially if as an adult, did you ever feel like you were "socially retarded"? I was married twice to JWs, yet when I was single again as an XJW, I really felt like I didn't know how to get to know someone of the opposite sex, how to date, what to do or not do, what to expect or not expect. My ex-husband talked to me the other day and he stated the same thing. Fortunately, I have made some very good 'worldly' friends over the past years who have helped me learn some very basic things and my current boyfriend has been wonderful......but, I look back at what I wished I'd learned when I was a teenager, not just sexual, but even just how to interact in a more normal manner.....I'm amazed at what I've learned just from this forum! LOL I think I will try to get my ex to check this place out, too....he's having trouble adjusting to relationships outside of being a JW (even though he never was a good JW to begin with..LOL).

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Yes.

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

ABSOLUTELY!

• Introspection
    Introspection

Well yeah, but I think it has worked out for my benefit, I've gotten more of a clear head in the end, and being social doesn't exactly do that. But as far as dating and socializing in general, I've come to appreciate humor more, and chicks dig that - I mean uhh, it breaks the ice. Seriously though, people .. take themselves too seriously! It's like they're a poser for the TV show Blind Date or something.

"I'm we todd did, I'm so fun king we todd did.."

• comment
    comment

Definitely. I still do on many occasions, even though objectively I'm more intelligent than most of the people I end up socializing with. You can feel like a) you're still in junior high b) somebody's still looking over your shoulder to see how you're conducting yourself c) when you do succeed socially, you're just faking your way through and it can't last.

comment

• Nicolas
    Nicolas

Definitely yes, I develloped a kind of social phobia because of this fucking WatchTower. For me, it was forbidden to associate with a worldly people because they weren't a "good example".

We become more attuned to the human condition when we recognize that God is not going to fix our problems.

• siegswife
    siegswife

From the other side of the coin, I wasn't raised to be a JW, but I come from a 'disfunctional family' and I always felt socially retarded as a teen. I don't know that being unequipped to deal with the world is something exclusive to JW's. I know it isn't, but the 'other' social retards seem to be who JW's attract, so you may be onto something. LOL

Just rambling....

• taoInitiate
    taoInitiate

Soshul? What's Soshul?

Is that where you do things with people and stuff?

I didn't know we could do that? [8>]

taoInit

• Gopher
    Gopher

Yes, I feel that same 'social retardation'. It's hard to know HOW to act around people, sometimes.

The most understanding mate may be another ex-JW, if you can find a compatible one.

-J.R.

This post was not evaluated by any mental health professionals.
    Any opinions expressed are those of a fuzzy, cuddly rodent.

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

Yes it is awkward sometimes, but you know I think 'wordly' people feel that way too. I know the first night I was out with some wordly people at a club I was like ok, this is fun, now what do we do. I felt kinda like I was watching everything but not really there, you know just taking it all in for the first time. Like some B movie or something. and thinking, hmmm this isn't bad at all, the JW kids back home were worse then this haha!!

Ven

"Come and GET em while there hot, take one and pass it on"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit