Christ Alone

Interesting stuff in the November WT. Note this dishonest quote:

During his ministry, Jesus
    Christ usedGod’s personal name and helped sincere
    people to gain an accurate knowledge of Jehovah’s
    attributes and His purpose for mankind.
    Jesus also lived in harmony with what he taught
    about Jehovah.

When did he use God's name? I thought he always called God "Father", not "Jehovah". In fact when using the word "name" as in "Let your name be sanctified", he never said Jehovah. The word name can have many meanings, one of which is "Power" or "Authority". This is true in Acts 4:7 where it says: "They had Peter and John brought before them and began to question them: "By what power or what name did you do this?""

Also, notice the painting on page 12. (I will upload it when I get a chance). It portrays Jesus with wings like an angel. I would like to find a single place in the Bible that describes Jesus in the way that it presents it here...

• Christ Alone
  • sir82
    sir82

Their rationale for saying "Jesus used God's personal name" is based on Luke 4:16-21, as it reads in the NWT:

And he came to Naz′a?reth, where he had been reared; and, according to his custom on the sabbath day, he entered into the synagogue, and he stood up to read. 17 So the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed him, and he opened the scroll and found the place where it was written: 18 “Jehovah’s spirit is upon me, because he anointed me to declare good news to the poor, he sent me forth to preach a release to the captives and a recovery of sight to the blind, to send the crushed ones away with a release, 19 to preach Jehovah’s acceptable year.” 20 With that he rolled up the scroll, handed it back to the attendant and sat down; and the eyes of all in the synagogue were intently fixed upon him. 21 Then he started to say to them: “Today this scripture that ?YOU? just heard is fulfilled.”

The reasoning goes that Jesus would have been reading from the Septuagint, which had the tetragrammaton in the verses from Isaiah that Jesus was reading from ("Jehovah's spirit", "Jehovah's acceptable year"). "Surely he would not have followed the erroneous and superstitious custom of the 1st century Jews who would not pronounce God's name" they say.

Considering he would have been at least bodily thrown out of the synagogue if not stoned, well, yeah, he would have followed Jewish custom. And the thickheads at Bethel know it too, at least some of them. But it is convenient for them to make $#!+ up if it advances their agenda, so they do it.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Christ Alone - you have absolutely no proof of either one of the claims in the title of this thread.

No proof whatsoever.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

If Jesus really was to make God's actual name (YHWH), then teaching people how to pray would have been the perfect place to do it. However, He did not tell people to pray to Jehovah. He told them to pray to their Father.

And you are right, sir82, the Jews would have stoned Him for using the name. And yet, that was never a problem that they had with Jesus. They accused Him of being a drunkard and glutton and associating with those same types. They accused Him of claiming to be equal to God. But they never had an issue with him using God's name.

I believe the reason Jesus did not use the OT name of God was because that was no longer to be the focus. Phill 2:9 shows this. It says: "Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name". If He has a name above EVERY other name, that would be above even the name "Jehovah".

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Christ Alone:

"If He has a name above EVERY other name, that would be above even the name "Jehovah "".

In the Greek of Php 2:9, "above every other name" is huper [above] pan [every] onoma [name].

The word "other" has been inserted by the NWT precisely to negate what you just said.

Here is an interesting curiosity: Pioneers routinely do not identify themselves at the door as "one of Jehovah's Witnesses" for the very reason that they do not want to turn off any interest right at the start of the conversation. They are taught this. And if you work with a pioneer in door-to-door and you identify yourself to the householder as "one of JWs", they will point that out as a mistake in tactics.

But like the Society says, 'Jesus would never neglect to use God's name.' No, they would never credit Jesus with the ability to have any tact.

Take Care

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

I think you guys misunderstood me. I'm not saying Jesus was an angel or used the name Jehovah. I was saying that the wt was wrong in making those claims. Also it's funny that you corrected me on saying every "other" name. That was a mistake. My jw upbringing took over and I misquoted the scripture.

• Elephant
    Elephant

Christ alone -

question for you, is your argument that Jesus is greater than Jehovah? Or that Jehovah is a myth?

on a side note, since i dont believe you've ever seen Jesus in a spiritual state (at least i dont think so) how do you know he doesn't look like an angel?

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

Elephant says

i dont believe you've ever seen Jesus in a spiritual state (at least i dont think so) how do you know he doesn't look like an angel?

. . .but evidently the WT illustrator has?

• Elephant
    Elephant

retrovirus-

but since christ alone hasnt, he cant positively confirm there are no wings...see my point buddy? unless i misunderstood christ alone's complaint with the picture...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit