September 11, 2001- Where were you?

by SophieG 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Jaime l de Aragon
  • Jaime l de Aragon
  • cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

I was at work. When the towers fell my boss, who was also a JW, came running over to me with sparkling eyes and a big smile and said, "Oh, Sally, won't it be wonderful when your father is resurrected and you can tell him you saw the start of the GT?"

My mouth dropped open and I said to her, "Jean, thousands of people just lost their lives. This is a tragedy. You can't be happy about that!" She looked at me like I was a party pooper.

I knew it wasn't the start of the GT because it was local to NYC, not global.

http://scottleblog.wordpress.com

The Odd Life of Jehovah's Witnesses

• James Brown
    James Brown

I was at work in a machine shop making tools. The engineers came out of the office and told us a plane flew into

the trade tower. As the morning went on and events unfolded I remember telling my coworkers, the company and most of the workers

had been there for 25 plus years, I said we are all going to loose our jobs over this. And sure enough 2 years latter we were all

out on the street.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Heh, I was on USAF active-duty at Edwards AFB, CA that day. The planes hit the WTC before the duty-day started (6:30ish), and I remember thinking how odd it was that there was NO official notification as you'd expect (a recall is a notification system via phone, where military members are told to report to base, but pass on the recall message to those in their phone tree; all are told to report to their duty stations ASAP, usu within 30 minutes). We held many practice recalls before this, even going in at 2 am to test the system (and God help you if you didn't show up in the 30 minute window).

However, when a "real-world" event actually occurred, there was no recall! So we went in at the normal duty-time and carried out the regularly-scheduled duties of the morning (there was nothing which could be done if the response wasn't coordinated, and called from the top-down).

It wasn't until around noon that an official recall response thru the military chain-of-command occurred, and all military bases went into a high-alert posture mode, with security forces instituting tighter measures to protect assets, emergency response plans started, etc, command and control centers set up, mass-casualty centers set-up, etc. The concern was a dirty bomb, or need for decontamination if what happened in NYC happened in another city, too.

I later learned how the power structure had been caught completely flat-footed by the attack, and the military had been isolated from the Commander In Chief for a few hours (Bush took to AF One), and we're lucky the attack wasn't coordinated to strike more targets than it was....

Edwards is a test and eval center, so those recon drones which were being tested at Edwards the day before went from carefully being tested to "we need them NOW, whether they work or not!" deployment within days. We had troops who operated them who got on planes to head for "Southeast Asia" within a few days, putting Global Hawk into real-world use, and the rest is history....

• finally awake
    finally awake

I had taken the day off work so I could go to a doctor's appointment to get my depression and anxiety medications adjusted. We didn't realize what was going on until we got to the doctor's office - they had a tv in the waiting room. I was really freaked out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit