Can the Borg close down a Kingdom Hall because of low attendance?

by Heartofaboy 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• moshe
    moshe

It's not too late for your KH to get legal advice from a local attorney to protect it's membership. I am sure some "poison pill" language can be written into the congregation bylaws that would make it nigh impossible for the WT Corp to close down your KH and absorb it's assets.

Eureka!! I know what to do!!

Your KH bylaws should require that a legally recognized member of the Faithful and Discreet Slave class must show up in person at a KH meeting to request a vote on the dissolution of your KH, and it must pass by a 2/3 vote , before the WT could close your hall.

Has anyone seen one of the F&DS lately?

• james_woods
    james_woods

Some overly hopeful (or zealous, in JW-speak) brothers built an overly large and expensive Kingdom Hall in Kingfisher, Oklahoma in the late 1960s. It was not a society loan, but was financed by some initial contributions and a loan from one of the publishers.

Soon enough, it got into financial trouble.

This was before the Society was making Kingdom Hall loans - but the Circuit Overseer appealed to the society to refinance it for a longer term so that they could have lower monthly payments.

The Society basically said - not only NO, but HELL NO. "You should have 'counted the cost', etc. and this is your own fault."

Several congregations in Oklahoma City had to help them along by monthly contributions outside the Society official channels. There was a lot of negative feelings about that because the current (at the time) CO was one of the big supporters of this Hall being built in the first place.

I assume it was eventually refinanced by the Society after they started the loan program - but I was gone from the Witnesses by then.

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

Thanks for your thoughts everyone, I not sure how the borg got their thumd print on our KH deeds I'll have to do some investigation.

I think I recall something about insurance & that the borg could get us a better deal if we came under the umbrella of their scheme rather than going it alone.

They are some sneaky gits aren't they?

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

There was a youtube video from a guy who goes by the name propagandatechniques, that may not be the correct spelling. But any way I could have sworn that he had a video explaining how they change the bylaws, exactly what was added etc.

I can't seemd to find it at this point.

NJY

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

As answered yes they can.

Also they will close a KH if the congregations can not afford their KH remodeling scam

I know of 3 halls here in detroit (in poorer neighborhoods) that were shuttered when the RBC came thru and suggested a remodel to them.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Maybe now, quickly, your congregation could speak to a lawyer about protecting this asset from the WT if at all possible. Someone needs to find a way before they are already taking action against a congregation. It could be a congrgational Conti-style victory. Aren't you sick of the WT swallowing everything up?

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

Why does money matter so much to them after all Jesus told the rich man to give ALL his possessions to the poor & become his follower.

This religious organization seems to be clawing in all the worldly treasure it can...............not a lot of reliance on God me thinks.

• truthlover
    truthlover

As far as I know, the KH in Canada are deeded to the society. Where some are in close vicinity to others, I can see them being sold , the monies going to the society -but we paid for the renos of course, a new larger hall being built at our expense for the 3 congs which again, we will have to pay for and have the societys name on the deed, and travel farther to get to the new hall... Just waitin.. as we were hit the other night with more renos to come after we just remodeled a few years ago... I am not giving anything...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit