Why does anyone EVER use the "J" sound when translating YHWH?

by sabastious 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks Sab and to all posters, as you rightly say, the JW/WT religion has totally missed the message of Christianity, and tries for a return to the horrible religion of early Israel.

The pronunciation of the Tet. (YHWH) is lost in antiquity and of course does not matter, if an Almighty God existed He/She/It would not need a personal name, even Jesus recognised this, and trying to get people to feel closer to God gave the example he wanted his followers to follow by using Abba/Father, not some "name".

The name of a person in ancient times was contingent upon what they were as a person ,what they achieved, or aimed to achieve, so a name could change Abram to Abraham for example.

When God explains about YHWH in Exodus it seem to me that He is saying there that He can be whatever is needed for Israel, God of War, Teacher, Guide etc etc , when assuming the diffferent roles it would be appropriate for Him to have the Name that went with the role. So "I AM the God of Armies" "I Am the God of Wisdom" etc etc

To hang a name pronounced with the Anglicised hard J on Almighty God is an insult to Etymology, Theology and Common Sense.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

The reason why I made this thread was because the Watchtower taught me as a kid that the name Jehovah was the correct way to say God's name.

I believed that all witnesses prounounced Jehovah the English way too, until we went to Spain.

The Spanish pronounce it Heh-o-va and Jesus becomes Hey-zeus!

Why did they not use letters that would cause the name to be pronounced the same world-wide if it was sooooooooo important?

#itsacult

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho
    I (pronounced Y ) was the first letter. V was pronounced as U so IEHOVAH in latin was originally pronounced

this was proven by Indiana Jones himself and is therefore an irrefutable fact

Indiana Jones proves Jehovah!>

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Why are they "supposed" to prenounce it with a J when Strong's concordance says it's phonetically pronounced with a Y sound (Yeh-ho-vaw). That's what I dont get.

For exactly the same reason that you pronounce other names in English with a J that start with a Y sound in Hebrew. There is nothing magical or special about this name in particular. If you don't like it, don't say it. There's plenty of other fictional characters to admire.

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho
    For exactly the same reason that you pronounce other names in English with a J that start with a Y sound in Hebrew. There is nothing magical or special about this name in particular. If you don't like it, don't say it. There's plenty of other fictional characters to admire.

• kepler
    kepler

Phizzy,

Thumbs up here too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit