Are YOU a Thinker?

by alamb 18 Replies latest jw friends

• alamb
    alamb

The Recovering Thinker

Hi, my name is Bob, and I am a recovering thinker….

It started out innocently enough: I began thinking at meetings now and then to loosen up. Inevitably though, one thought led to another and soon I was more than just a theocratic thinker. I began to think alone, you know, “to relax,” I told myself, but I knew it wasn’t true. Thinking became more and more important, and finally I was thinking all the time. I even thought at the Kingdom Hall. I knew thinking and my position in the congregation didn’t mix, but I couldn’t stop.

I began avoiding the friends at lunchtime so I could read Crisis of Conscience and other works that challenged my thought processes. I returned to the Kingdom Hall dizzied and confused, asking, “What exactly are we doing here?” Things weren’t great at home either. One evening I turned off the TV and asked my wife about the meaning of life guided by the FDS—she spent the night at her mother’s.

I soon had a reputation as a heavy thinker. One day the PO called me into the back room and said, “Bob, I like you, and it hurts me to say this, but your thinking is a real problem. If you don’t stop thinking, I’ll have to recommend you be disfellowshipped.” This gave me a lot to think about. I went home early after my conversation with the elder. “Honey,” I confessed, “I’ve been thinking.” “I know you’ve been thinking,” she said, “and I want a divorce.” “But Honey, surely it’s not that serious.” “It is serious,” she said, lower lip quivering. “You have been a fine window washer all your life and your service to Jehovah comes before the children and I having health insurance or educations.” “That’s faulty syllogism,” I said impatiently, and she began to cry.

I’d had enough. “I’m going to the library to look up what really happened in 607/587,” I snarled and stomped out the door. I headed to the library in the mood for enlightenment, roared into the parking lot, and ran up to the big glass doors—they didn’t open. The library was closed. To this day I believe Jehovah was looking out for me that night. As I sank to the ground clawing at the unfeeling glass, whimpering for a computer with an internet connection to feed my starving mind, a magazine caught my eye; a Watchtower left in a laundromat. The words “Friend, is heavy thinking ruining your life?” stood out in large letters. You may recognize the line: it comes from the standard issue “Thinkers Anonymous” poster. Today, I am a recovering thinker. I never miss a meeting . At each meeting we listen to a non-educational, self congratulatory public talk. I am again training my mind to be numb. Then we share experiences about how we avoided thinking since the last meeting. I still have my family and things are a lot better at home. Life just got easier, somehow, once I stopped thinking. Soon, I’ll be able to be an elder again…. Thanks, Bob

• jgnat
    jgnat

LOL

Where else is "independent thinker" a dirty word?

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

LOL! Thinkers Anon? Do they give you a keychain for X years of successfully remaining narcotized and brain-dead? :)

Unfortunately, the sad thing is simply leaving is no guarantee that one starts magically thinking. If someone wasn't a critical thinker while IN the organization and was DFed for non-critical-thinking-related offenses, simply leaving the org won't do it (it takes active effort to improve one's thinking abilities).

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

I think you have some thinking to do. Right now I think I'm going to bed. I think I need to get up early and continue reading my book, "The Anatomy of Thought."

Goodnight, PHG

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

That was good. Thanks for sharing that. Leslie

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

LOL. Okay, I'll play along.

Hi, my name is Billy and I'm a heavy thinker.

I spent 40 years trying to stop thinking. Then for another few years, I tried to think in moderation. But I've lost control and now the thinking has taken over my life. As soon as I get to the bottom of one book, I reach for the next. Since I've moved away to university, I disappear into the crowd of heavy thinkers.

I used to think in private and tried not to let anyone know about my frequent heavy thinking binges. But I soon got more bold and would begin thinking even before breakfast. Thinking has become so pervasive that I'll do it sometimes while fornicating. It's like, as long as I'm sinning, I may as well double down.

• ziddina
    ziddina

ROFL!!!

As you all can see, I'm a heavy thinker, too....

This is what I look like when the cognitive dissonance sets in...

funny faces

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I think I'm having a seizure now zid!

• ziddina
    ziddina

See! That's what you get for thinking so much, Billy!!

You should do what I do - don't think, just obey the Watchtower Gov.Bod....

ZOMBIE Jehovah's Witnesses!!!!

smiley zombiessmiley zombiessmiley zombiessmiley zombies

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

I am in the process of being disfellowshipped because of being a free thinker. It did bother me to start off with, but now I am getting use to the idea. If I stop thinking that means I am dead, and I'm not dead yet. So I rather spend the rest of my days in freedom than in Zombieland.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit