Question from Japan about "probation seat"

by jwstudy 14 Replies latest jw friends

• jwstudy
    jwstudy

Dear friends, This is my first post.

I like to ask all of you about custom among J.W.

I am from Japan. I have noticed several times in Japan

DisfellowShipped person who attends a meeting

is required to be seated at a "special seat".

That seat is separated from ordinal seats and

located mostly back of the hall.

Its something like "probation seat".

My question is :

Is this standard custom among J.W.?

or Just like "local rule" ?

If this is a standard custom,

Is there any written direction in Watchtower publication?

jwstudy

Japan

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

it is custom.

also, if you are disfellowshipped you are supposed to leave right away to avoid contact with others.

also, being treated like a leper is not good on you morale............ so you would want to be "not seen".

So back seat is done alot

• Listener
    Listener

You are expected to be obediant to the directions (orders) from the elders. This is another test and part of the discipline that is supposed to show your repentance.

• jwstudy
    jwstudy

it is custom.

Thank you for you quick reply!

I am searching the written direction with no success.

It might be in "Kingdom Ministry" or other member only publication.

I want to know how this custom was introduced in the past.

Its hard to believe it is just like a "Oral Law"

• WinstonSmith
    WinstonSmith

jwstudy-san yookoso! Moo sugu watashi wa anta ni 'personal message' o okuremasu.

Watashi no nihongo wa dame desu. Sumimasen. Anata no eigo wa totemo joozu desu.

Looks like my high school Japanese is finally coming in handy!

• blondie
    blondie

Seating df'd in the back is a decision by the local BOE. It is not a "rule" here in my region unwritten or written. A df'd daughter sat with her jw parents for the meetings. Does that mean that if a spouse is df'd and coming and their spouse is a jw, that they have to sit separately, or the non-df'd spouse has to sit in the back? I remember a question from the readers in the 50's that asked if a married couple could share the same car going to and from the meeting, or that could a df'd spouse sit with the jw spouse. The WTS said they could share the same car and sit next to each other.

Many df'd people sit in the back to be able to come in at the last minute and leave right away.

• Kaiser
    Kaiser

jwstudy?? ????!

???????????????????????????????

In my congregation, there is no "special seat" for disfellowshipped. Could be because it so small cong.

There is currently one disfellowshipped and he sits where he wants...

• WinstonSmith
    WinstonSmith

jwstudy-san, I just had a look in the elders book and there is nothing specific on it. In chapter 10.5 it talks about transporting a disfellowshipped or disassociated person to a meeting and says that if a JW transports a disfellowshipped or disassociated person to the meeting there should be no fraternizing or conversing. Sitting at the back of the hall might be an extension of this, but as Blondie said, will vary from place to place.

• jwstudy
    jwstudy

Hi blondie Kaiser WinstonSmith,

Thank you for your reply.

Now I understand there is no written rule

concerning separate seat arrangement.

It is likely there are exceptions when

spouse or other family members are "faithfull".

Df'd sit down next to them.

They may take a role of "probation officer".

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

In our hall they generally sit at the back, but not on a particular seat really. It's been a while since we had DFed come along regularly and now a lot of sick people tend to sit at the back in the DFed seats. I'm not sure what would happen now if DFed people were to turn up if the sick people would move to let them sit there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit