What Proof Is There That Rutherford Was Responsible For The Pyramid Monument Near CTR's Grave?

by JWB 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JWB
    JWB

WHAT PROOF IS THERE THAT RUTHERFORD WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE PYRAMID MONUMENT NEAR CTR'S GRAVE?

"Charles Taze Russell died in 1916, the Pyramid marker was installed in 1921 (5 years after his death), and the The Masonic Temple was built in the mid 1990s, these items have nothing to do with Pastor Russell's grave. The Masonic Temple is not even on the cemetery grounds, it is a different property altogether. In fact, the Rosemont United Cemetery was never a Masonic cemetery. Many do not want you to see the first photo from 1916, showing that Pastor Russell was dead long before the Masonic Temple was built." - Extract from pastorrussell.blogspot.co.uk/2008/09/was-charles-taze-russell-mason.html

"What many misrepresent as being Russell’s gravestone, pyramid tomb or tombstone, grave marker, etc., is the pyramid monument that Joseph Rutherford had constructed in the year 1919, about five years after Russell died. This pyramid monument is not Russell’s gravestone, tombstone, or grave marker. Rutherford had this monument constructed in the middle of the plot owned by the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society, not just to honor Russell, but to honor all who died while working at the Watch Tower headquarters. There are many names inscribed on that monument, not just Russell’s. Nevertheless, there is no one buried in or under that monument." - Extract from ctr.reslight.net/?p=1212

I would be very interested in finding out if the above statements concerning the Pyramid marker's installation date and Rutherford's involvement can be corroborated by written or and/or oral statements from anyone who was in a position to know.

• oompa
    oompa

ive been there...at 18 but dunno...why are you so interested btw...........oompa

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

True some of Russell's followers which may very well included Rutherford, built the Pyramid monument close to Russell's actual grave stone

a few years after his death. The nearby Masonic Temple may just be a coincidence.

The connection being of course Russell's screwed up belief in the Great Pyramid of Geze, which was also propagated in this books and other

pieces of literature . Since Rutherford took over the operations of the WTS. and the organization was still identified as being the IBSA at that time,

it would be easy to assume that Rutherford was involved with putting up the Pyramid monument.

Irregardless there still is no documentation to say he was or wasn't though.

What difference does it make anyways, its still a historical monument to the indulgent ignorance of the WTS.

• JWB
    JWB

Thanks oomps and Finkelstein, I'm just curious that's all. Of course you probably know that many years later the WTS literally demonised the Great Pyramid. I wonder why they didn't put their money where their mouth was and remove that representation of such a demonic edifice?

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

My gosh! You guys have to stop posting items of interest to me! I think I only have one more post! LOL

According to Allegheny County's real estate records, the property that sits about 100 feet from the pyramid was acquired by the Mason's on October 17, 1994 for a mere $610,000.00 I have a REALLY tough time believing that almost 42 acres of land a few short miles from the heart of the city was only worth a half million dollars. There are homes within minutes of this property sitting on less than an acre that are valued at a million+. The previous owner is obtainable, just not online. If it's important to ya' I can find out who owned it before the Mason's. I might be wrong, but given the price I would not be surprised if it were someone who may have had ties to the Masons.

I have pictures of the grounds (which can be found on googlemaps) but I have to figure out how to post them. I can attest to the following:

It's not his gravestone. His remains are about 30 feet from the pyramid.

There are not MANY names inscribed on the pyramid. There are probably less than 5.

As for Rutherford's construction of the pyramid? well... I offer the following detailed information taken from a Watchtower document (would they be "in a position to know"? ):

I haven't figured out how to insert documents or .jpgs stored on my computer so I retyped this... (please forgive the typos)

Taken from page 7 of the "Souvenir Report of the Bible Student's Convention held in Pittsburgh, PA - January 2-5, 1919." (bold emphasis mine).

AT THE GRAVE

On Monday, a party of about 150 was conducted by Brother Bohnet to the grave of Brother Russell. Upon a hillside, sloping towards the south, we joined hands around the grave and sang:

"Blest be the tie that binds

Our hearts in Christian love;

The fellowship of kindred minds

Is like to that above.

"Our glorious hope revives

Our courage every day,

While each with expectation strives

To run the Heavenly way.

One last lingering look upon the scene recalled the peaceful manner of our Pastor's "passing beyond the vail." Brother Rutherford's words came to mind: "I am glad this prison experience was reserved for us, rather than for our dear Brother Russell."

We visited the marble works and there watched the workmen, slowly but surely chisel out the monument to be erected as a memorial to the Society.

The Watch Tower Society burial lots in Rosemont United Cemeteries, five miles due north of Pittsburgh City, contain simple grave space for all the members of the Bethel family, and the Pilgrims and their wives - in all more than 274 adult graves. In the exact center of the Bethel lot will be erected diagonally the Pyramid Shape Monument as designed by Brother Bohnet, and accepted by Brother Russell as the most fitting emblem for an enduring monument on the Society's burial space. The size of this structure is nine feet across the base, and its apex stone is exactly seven feet above the ground surface level. I rests upon a comcrete foundation five feet deep and heavily reinforced with barbed wire, the work of Bother Bohnet, who would not entrust this important task to anyone else so we are assured the job was well done. The brother gave a full despcription of the securing of the rock material (after fruitless attempts extending over a period of about five years) at the time he piloted the conventionists to the cemetery and urged us to help ourselves to souvenir chips in the shop of the granite worker near by. These monster blocks of pink (Borther Russsells favorite tint) granite were brought all the way from Granite Mountain Quarries near Marble Falls City in Texas, on a special flat car and are said to be about 95 percent flint rock.

Each slope of the pyramid will face one of the large lots and on each of these slopes is cut in four inch embossment a Teacher's Bible on the pages on which will appear the names of the ones buried there. The burial space for Brother Rutherford was indicated and his name, like that of Brother Russell will be at the top of opposite Bible pages. A Bible space being set apart for the Pilgrims all in one lot of forty-eight grave space, so all their names will appear on the same Bible.

Above the Bibles are spaces for inscriptions in full, W.T.B.& T.S., I.B.S.A., "Dead with Crhist," "Risen with Chirst, " etc. And above these the Cross and Crown and Wreath, and the whole capped with the apex stone, highly polished- its shape of course being pyramidal.

Within the structure, incased in a block of granite, will be a sealed metal box, in which is a complete set of Karatol(?) Scripture Studies, the Memorial Tower, and one of every tract, photographs of Pastor Russell, a copy of the Society's charter, and many other things to interest the people who at some future date may open the pyramid and find them.

Brother Wm B. Hurst, of Pittsburgh, who was assistant superintendent of the United Cermetraies under Brother Bohnet's general charge, will have the care of Brother Russell's grave in the pilgrimage absence of Brother Bohnet. It is expected the monument will be in place before the next Decoration Day. Any people desiring a chip of the stone may send postage enough to carry a piece about the size of an egg, with enough additional to pay the Society for the trouble of having it wrapped for the mail. Best for class members to order collectively.

• JWB
    JWB

NeverKnew, I'm signing off now, but thanks very much for your info which I've made a copy of and will be reading later!

• Farkel
    Farkel

I have it on good authority that Jimmy Hoffa is buried under the Russell pyramid; in a toga, with a compass and ruler in his hands.

Farkel

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=UlVs2DqPFXA

very interesting video regarding this...undeniable facts

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

If the monument is on land titled to the WTS. you would think they would have the common sense to remove the Pyramid being that its

existence is being spread around on the inter-net, much like the way most of Russell's old books are put away under lock and key.

I know intelligence and the WTS. are not playing in unison, never really had come to think of it.

• JWB
    JWB

So, let's see if I've got this right! According to the convention report, the pyramid monument had been "designed by Brother Bohnet, and accepted by Brother Russell as the most fitting emblem for an enduring monument on the Society's burial space", but the construction for it was delayed for five years due to problems in "securing of the rock material". CTR died at the end of 1916 and the convention program came out at the beginning of 1919. Five years prior to 1919 brings us to 1914. Therefore, CTR must have known about and approved the proposed pyramid shaped monument designed by Bohnet at about that time. Rutherford, as president of the WTS, was simply facilitating what had already been arranged five years earlier by CTR.

Thanks again to NeverKnew for bringing the 1919 Convention Report to my attention.

An e-format copy of the convention report can be obtained here:

archive.org/download/1919BibleStudentConventionReport/1919SouvenirReportColor.pdf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit