AGEING CONGREGTIONS

by sieborg 24 Replies latest jw friends

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I'm not so sure that's true about our Cong. But when you go to the Cir Assm or Dist Conv -- look at how much seating is reserved for "Elderly" -- It is clearly 1/2 the auditorium. At the facility we rent for Dist Conv, it is the entire floor area and the first 10-20 rows or so of the lower sections of seating.

Go to an Elders School and take a look from the back of the Assm Hall -- a sea of gray (or male pattern baldness).

They are losing the youth and they know it, thus they seize them as soon as they can. (1) Baptise at 10. (2) Put on mics and sound dept. immediately. (3) Asst with mags & literature by 14 or 15. (4) Appoint as MS by 18. (5) Stint at Bethel or Pioneersing even if just temp or for 1 year. (6) "Groom" for Elder by 28. Problem is, they still lose 2 out of 3 of them.

Doc

• harleybear
    harleybear

It has been right at 10 years since I have been in a KH. Even then the age was much higher than in the 70's and 80's. The other thing I noticed is the economics of attendee. At least where I lived there were a lot of pretty wealth JW's. From what I can see with my limited exposure these day the economic picture is pretty grim. A couple that lives in my neighborhood who are in their early 50's just sold their house at a lose and moved about 300 miles to a small town and will be renting. He was not a born in so had a college education and retired from a good job with a pension. Going to where the need is greater. They are both going to pioneer. When they were packing up I dropped by to say hi and they went on and on about the big A was just around the corner......blablabla. They were selling all they had and focusing on the preaching work. I smiled nicely and said "yea, I did that back in 1973...how'ed that work out???" Deer in the head lights!!!! Subject was quickly changed

• Giordano
    Giordano
    Welcome!
    Natural Ageing, so many born-ins leaving. How many died because of blood from 1945 on? So many DF and DA, shunning, the internet and the growth of non believers in the younger population makes it difficult to recruit. High control religions 'capture' their followers but turn off many more. JW's in particular have no plan for the future much like the Shaker's they have a built in mortality factor.
  • steve2
    steve2

The loss of younger ones is probably more monumental than "mere" numbers show. Following the 1975 fiasco, birth rates exploded among New Zealand JWs: there was a veritable baby boom for years and years. Although there was a fall off in the number of active witnesses following 1975 (as reflected in the yearly worldwide reports printed in the Watchtower and Yearbooks), this decline was accompanied by the remaining witnesses having more children. Consequently, Kingdom Halls throughout the country reported a huge influx of younger ones and at conventions, it seemed that prams and pushcairs were everywhere.

Yet, some thirty or so years later, where on earth are all those born into the religion after 1975? They should be at the age - if males - of filling the ranks of the dwindling older ones, stepping up into ministerial servant and elder roles. But congregations struggle to get an adequate number of males stepping into these roles. It is more usual to see older - and elderly - males in these roles.

Is the organization aware of this loss of younger ones? No way can the organization be ignorant of this - it stands out in practically every congregation throughout the country (perhaps it is not so pronounced in larger population centres like Auckland). I was surprised to learn that, a year or two ago, the kingdom hall in one of the smaller towns in New Zealand, Shannon, was no longer in use; the few mainly older JWs now meet in the kingdom hall in a neighbouring town, Foxton. Yet, the Shannon kingdom hall which is visibly located on the main highway out of town is maintained as if it is still in use - a convenient fiction for a slowly dying religion. Witnesses were supposed to have explained this closure as a sign that younger ones have moved away from Shannon to find work in larger population centres. That's rubbish. The nearby city of Palmerston North is only 30 kms away and is one of the largest employers in the region. Besides, the Palmerston North congegations (I think there remain two in that city) are not reporting any influx of witnesses from other regions.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Hello and welcome to you. It's called natural wastage lol.

Loz x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit