How Come Mendelssons Wedding March.....

by Englishman 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

…..is never played at witness weddings?

It’s not a hymn, after all. Also, I recall that in my dubbing days, the WT said it was OK to play classical music over the PA system. However, Mendelssohn’s Wedding March was a no-no, according to the PO of all the witness weddings that I attended. http://www.jacarandastrings.com.au/mendwed.htm

Strange.

Englishman.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Yes, I've always wondered that. I get the impression that in the Witness's zeal for rooting out all things pertaining to false religion, Mendelsson got swept out by accident by a well meaning but poorly informed overseer.

On the other hand, why miss an opportunity to show the worldly relatives that you are a religious freak and outcast?

• Xander
    Xander

What, you all didn't find the inspired writing of the society's wedding tunes to be spiritually uplifting and fulfilling?

You could almost hum the lyrics while the bride walked up the aisle - remembering how submissive she should be and how a good 'christian' husband would treat her as an inferior vessel - the weaker one.

It just filled you with such romant--- sorry, I mean SPIRITUAL feelings.

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana
  • blindfool
    blindfool

Just curious,
    What percentage of JW weddings occour at the KH?
    How aboout the percentage of funerals?

In the years I've been associatied with the witnesses, I've only been to a few weddings at the KH, and I've never been to a funeral at the hall.

• Xander
    Xander

Don't know about you, but 100% of the weddings in our congregation (well, except me and my wife's) were in the hall. The elders REALLY frowned on weddings outside the hall - in fact, one wouldn't give the wedding talk if it wasn't in the hall.

Never been to a witness funeral, though. Can't help there. Did go to a military funeral once - my grandpa was a WWII vet.

Don't think I've ever cried so much in my life. Those guys know how to honor their dead.

--George Santayana
  • metatron
    metatron

Ironically, I think "Walking in Integrity" sounds a great deal
    like "What Kind of Fool Am I"

metatron

• Angharad
    Angharad

When we got married, there was one elder that was really put out that we we not using 'Marriage is God's Arrangment' like everyone else did- I hated that song.

• Kaethra
    Kaethra

Mendelssohn's Wedding March is part of the theme music from Shakespeare's "A Mid Summer Night's Dream". The pagan nature of this play is no doubt what makes the Wedding March a no-no for "true" Christians.

You may be interested to note that the Catholic church does not allow the Wedding March to be played at their weddings for similar reasons.

• Xander
    Xander

Hmmmm...wonder if that's why a handfasting or 'jumping the broom' is right out???

ROFLMAO!!

I just LOVE that "oh, GOD, it's PAGAN!!! AWAY HEATHEN!!! {makes cross sign} hssss hssssss"

--George Santayana
  • Dutchie
    Dutchie

They used to bring the body into the Hall at funerals, there would be a funeral talk and then the "friends" would go and view the dead in the casket. Most of the time the casket was open although there are sometimes closed caskets. It depends on the preference of the family. Brothers would be designated to carry the casket out to the limousine and then again carry it in the cemetery to the burial site, to which almost all in attendance at the Hall would go. Now when someone dies the body is not brought to the Kingdom Hall and after the funeral talk and short talks by members of the family, only family and close friends go to the cemetery. At least, that has been my experience.

When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion. Abraham Lincoln

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit