Jehovah's Witnesses and Acts 2:17

by biometrics 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• biometrics
    biometrics

Does anyone know how Jehovah's Witness explain away Acts 2:17 is:

Acts 2:17 - In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams.

They admit we are living in the 'last days', yet they don't seem to have young men with visions or old men dreaming dreams (at least not inspired ones).

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

LOL, good point. That scripture sounds like a pretty good excuse for JW teens to experiment with hallucinogens: "But Dad! I was just trying to experience visions!!!"

Aren't Xians supposed to be able to carry out healings, speak in tongues, and perform other miraculous acts, as well? Maybe we should be on the lookout for a multi-lingual doctor who has a nightclub magic act?

• sizemik
    sizemik

Yes indeed . . . it should be like pentecost. They should all seem drunk to us spiritual illiterates.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I think they claim it means the preaching work. Don't ask me how.

• Listener
    Listener

It is a great scripture to be examining biometrics.

I've done a little bit of research on the WTBTS literature and it many cases they cite it in reference to the time when the holy spirit was poured out at Penticost 33CE and they were the last days to 70CE.

One of the references in which they relate it to these days, in which they believe they are in the last days is in "Jehovah's Day (jd) Chapter 13 para 4

'Now consider our time, Joel's prophecy has been undergoing its major fulfillment since early in the 20th centruy. Spirit-anointed Christians - male and femal, old and your-began to "prophecy," that is, to declare "the magnificent things of God." including the good news of the Kingdom, now established in the heavens.

Another quote from 'Kingdom Come[' Chapter 15 para 14

'Just as Joel's prophecy had been fulfilled at Pentecost 33CE during the 'last days' of the Jewish system of things, now that prophecy began to have a major fulfillment during the 'last days of Stan's world system. Enlightened and motivated by God's spirit, modern-day anointed 'sons and daughters' of Jehovah did "certainly prophesy," as they got busy in warning the world of mankind of the approach of "the great and illustrious day of Jehovah," and of the urgent need to 'call on the name of Jehovah' in order to be saved - Acts 2:16-21'

Interesting how they have changed the meaning of prophecy and that only the anointed are doing this (the other sheep are just helping or have declared that 'We will go with you people, for we have heard that God is with you people' - from the Jehovah's Day book), so it seems that they do not 'prophecy.'

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Watchtower can interpret scriptures any way they like, and if you don't agree with it, you're out, lol. Other prophets, like Daniel could see ahead to the 21st century- but Joel...he was strictly a 1st century man.

And yeah, slimboyfat is correct-

I think they claim it means the preaching work. Don't ask me how.
    Watchtower is careful not to interpret this individual scripture, but claim that all these 'signs' mean the house-to-house work.
  • smiddy
    smiddy

If indeed it did mean their house to house activity how can they explain their so many failed expectations,interpretations,prophecys,wishful thinking,evident fullfilments that never eventuated etc.etc.

smiddy

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

D2D is "prophetic work"?

Relating one's eyewitness testimony does not place you as equivalent as the predictor, the forecaster. Telling others what you heard the weather forecaster say on the radio does NOT make you a meteorologist, lol!

Heck, they cannot even foretell if it's worth walking up to the householder's doorstep to knock (ie if it's going to be a 'not at home'), much less prophecy future events relevant to Xian theology...

Early Xians are claimed to have performed healing, speaking in tongues, acts of prophecying, etc AS PROOF, as signs to establosh the validity of their message, during their preaching work. Currently JWs just wear their idea of fancy clothes as their "proof" of legitimacy.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I prophesied to the Elders when they were investigating me recently.

1) Get ready for some big changes in the organization and expect some refinements that affect you personally. I dont think they knew about the special Elder's school coming up. I have no idea what it will be about, but neither do they so i played the odds.

2) Expect to get some new light about child abuse.

3) Expect a very uncomfortable conversation to take place between us if my child is molsted on your watch, and thats just for starters.

Sounds like prophecy to me.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

That was a scripture that turned on the light bulb for me when I was still in.

How could the "last days" start in 1914 if they had started already in the first century, as clearly stated in the scripture; have the "last days" been going on for two thousand years, how can that very long period (longer than the Jews and Israelites existed as a people prior to Jesus) be at all called "the last days".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit