Sneaking out the back door?

by ozziepost 11 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

The February issue of Kingdom Ministry for Britain informs that for "the past five years, more than 400 people each year have responded to help and been reactivated". (page 5, paragraph 14)

Interestingly, in that same period the average number of publishers has gone from 124,623 in 1996 to 119,655 in 2001. During that time around (say) 2,500 have been baptised each year.

Do you get the feeling that something doesn't add up?

Seems to me that a lot of people have sneaked out the back door.

Also seems that this KM is another example of the WTS giving a good spin on statistics!

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Well, in their minds, they're just 'accentuating the positive', because how good could a loss be on morale?

They can only blame losses on 'apostates' for so long.

ashi

• larc
    larc

Ozzie,

Interesting stats. So they are declining at the rate of about 1% per year for the past five years, despite all the door to door work, and trying to keep the kids in, interesting indeed.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

In Canada, it said that 1700 persons PER YEAR for the past five years were reactivated. When I saw that, I thought it was a misprint - maybe should have been for the five years in total.

The exodus out of the org must be bigger than even I had thought. On the other hand, I'll bet that most of those reactivated ones slip out fairly quickly. In fact, it may be the same 1700 persons every year.

• badboy
    badboy

I once calcuated(sic)that perhaps 20? a day were leaving every day in the UK alone.

By 2006, lets say they could B a CRISIS OF NUMBERS.

• 2SYN
    2SYN

The WTBTS know that there's a storm coming, but they haven't tell the R&F just yet. In a few years the brown stuff is truly going to become one with the fan

The earlier in the forenoon you take the sun bath, the greater will be the beneficial effect, because you get more of the ultra-violet rays, which are healing. - The Golden Age

• greven
    greven

in my cong an errata notification was read out saying that it should not read 400 each year but a total of 400 over the entire period.

very keen you noticed though. they juggle alot with numbers and statistics.

"Fear is strange soil. Mainly it grows obedience like corn, which grows in rows and makes weeding easy. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground."
    -from "Small Gods" by Terry Pratchett-

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Greven,

In some ways this makes it worse! Only 400 could be lured back in 5 years? And that in a country with over 100,000 active members. Not very good, eh?

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• sleepy
    sleepy

Have I done my figures right?

400 times 5 = 2000
    2500times 5 = 12500

Add together= 14500
    +124623
    =139123
    current figure
    =119655
    total of 20532 who have legged it.
    Average of 4000 a year leave 2500 bapt 400 return so figure goes down about 1000 a year, but as families start leaving this downward spire should speed up as most baptised are born witnesses.
    As more leave the number getting baptised should start going down along with it .
    There could be big drops in numbers only a few years away.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Whichever way you look at it, the signs are not good for the WTS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit