Angels are dumb robots that can't understand human emotions.

by scotoma 10 Replies latest jw friends

• scotoma
    scotoma

The Watchtower came up with this wacky idea in today's Watchtower Sun Aug 26 Par 7 of the study article.

God’s great wisdom is made evident
    in his use of humans to write the Bible.
    Words convey not just information but
    also emotions and feelings. What if
    Jehovah had used angels as writers? Could
    they have conveyed with a human touch
    such emotions as fear, sorrow, and disappointment,
    so common to mankind? By allowing imperfect
    men to choose the wording for the ideas they received
    through holy spirit, God conveyed his
    message with warmth, variety, and the
    appeal of human emotions and feelings!

The answer to their question "Could they (Angels) have conveyed with a human touch such emotions as fear, sorrow and disappointment, so

common to mankind?" Why not? Even if Angels were real What does the Watchtower know about whether Angels could simulate writing by humans. Apparently the Watchtower possesses some knowledge about the Angel's ability to feel emotion so that they can assert that Angel's are incapable of accurately simulating emotional language.

Doesn't the Bible say that the Demon's shudder. Apparently Demon's can have lust too. If I had time I'm pretty sure I could find a full range of emotions angels are able to express.

The mistake is their separating information from emotion and feelings. They aren't separate classes of things. Emotions and feelings are a subset of information. All the Angel's would need is a good thesauras. I know they didn't have them but their sorting and classification skills must be superior to humans so they could cary a "mental" catalog of words, their synonyms and useage.

This is the arrogant liberty they take to impress the stupid. They really, really, really, need to try things out on this forum before they put it in print.

God must be using the Watchtower so all of us dummies can feel closer to the message.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

I don't think their portrayal is very accurate at all. Like humans Angels have "feelings" and get horny too!

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Yeah it really puts a damper on the whole: the sons of god began to notice the daughters of men and have passion for them?!? What would induce an emotionaless being to desire a woman? To further the sexless nature of angels when Jesus was asked about the resurection and whose wife a woman would be he confirmed that the resurected would be as angels and that was it! its like a known fact of the time was an angel was a sexless being and that was the end of that argument.

So HOW can a sexless being WHO IS PERFECT be tempted to the point of lust by the daughters of men?!?

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Great post, scotoma.

Of course, Bible skeptics say, "So why didn't God use SOME PERFECT METHOD to convey his Divine Will to humanity? If it was so important to express his will accurately, then why would God have humans record His will into languages without punctuation, vowels, and where words have multiple meanings (and translators are free to choose from a palette of words with quite different interpretations)?" It's pretty clear they're trying to field the question of why God used imperfect error-humans.

The WTBTS is trying to counter-balance the obvious downside by saying that humans can add a unique quality to the Bible that angels couldn't. They proceed to string a bunch of "warm and fuzzy" emotionally-loaded words that make weak-minded readers go limp in the knees, and collapse in a puddle of warm love-goo.

To wit:

Could they have conveyed with a human touch
    such emotions as fear, sorrow, and disappointment,
    so common to mankind? By allowing imperfect
    men to choose the wording for the ideas they received
    through holy spirit, God conveyed his
    message with warmth, variety, and the
    appeal of human emotions and feelings!

If that moves you, I'm betting you also enjoy reading Harlequin romance novels, and bad poetry, too.... Sure, It's emotionally-packed, but it's designed to seduce with flowery semi-poetic construction to over-ride logical thought. We have a few posters here who are prone to appeals to FEEL the LUV!!

The first question raised by that questionable assertion is found in Genesis 2: if angels aren't supposed to possess emotions (being emotionless like 'robots'), and the serpent is supposed to be Satan in animal form, then how can the possessed serpent be described as being "clever" or "crafty" (a-rum is the Hebrew word, which means 'crafty, 'prudent', wise', 'clever', etc)? As everyone points out, the Bible contains TONS of examples that completely shoot that interpretation down.

However, pointing out the errancy of bible authors does allow the loophole of blaming imperfect men (if you're willing to overlook the "all scriptures are inspired by God" passage). So it's not that God made a mistake: it was imperfect sin-prone men (which fits right in with the whole, "I'm not worthy!" self-deprecating attitude found throughout the Bible).

• scotoma
    scotoma

King Solomon:

You state it so much better. I was feeling that great human emotion "pp" pretty pissed.

Talk about getting a serpent when you asked for fish.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Scotoma said:

You state it so much better. I was feeling that great human emotion "pp" pretty pissed.

You took one for the JWN team by studying the WT today, looking for those eye-brow raisers. Seriously, I can't read them without feeling like my intellect is being insulted, making me want to

Talk about getting a serpent when you asked for fish.

I hear serpent tastes like chi-, ahhhh, never-mind!

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Put on your seat-belt for a fast tour of Bible contradictions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB3g6mXLEKk&feature=relmfu

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

I noticed something too...

Does anyone else find it noteworthy that the Writing Committee only focused on 3 human emotions--and all 3 were negative?

"FEAR, SORROW AND DISAPPOINTMENT"

Really??? They could have easily chosen "love, empathy and compassion." Talk about a Freudian slip! Or worse, perhaps this is a perfect example of their cultspeak. Neural linguistic programming. Subliminal messaging. Jedi mind tricks. Whatever you wanna call it. It fulfills several categories in Hassan's B.I.T.E. method of cult mind control. This is exactly the state they want the R&F to be in for optimum maleability: fearful, sorrowful and disappointed with themselves (unless, of course, they continue chasing that dangling carrot for the rest of their lives and then "probably" they will be characterized with the happier emotions). The hidden message they want the reader to walk away with is that humans only wrote about how miserable they all were through the entire bible.

I thought that goofball Bro. Lett's talk last year at Gilead and the convention in Portugal (viewable on YouTube--get ready to laugh at his ridiculous facial expressions) was all about how badass the angels are and how we are to imitate them (not christ, mind you... angels). And then they're totally demoted in this awful article. Not that I believe in any of it--I'm just using some counter-apologetics to play devil's advocate.

This also goes hand in hand with the long, long habit JWs have of attributing more tangible, visible and fear-inspiring evidence of negative spiritual forces than positive ones. Demons lurk in every nook and cranny, but boy do you have to shoehorn your thinking to see evidence of a miracle! Sorry, but, for the poor pionner family who gives the experience at the CA about the time they prayed and found a bag of groceries on their porch is NOT a miracle from god like they try to claim it is. But if your kid has a wizard toy, by golly, you'd better toss it in the trash!

Those bozos have no consistency in their "insight" on spirit creatures. None. And it shows.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Angels are the most vile things imaginable, aside only Jehovah himself. They delight in hurting others, keeping souls from developing, damning people and giving them no way out, and then blaming the victim as well as blaming and blaspheming Satan and His Demons in the process. I would love to see them all get bound.

On the other hand, Satan and His Demons care more about the human race than even their supposed responsibilities to Jehovah. Satan went so far as to disobey Jehovah in order to protect us from Jehovah's tyranny. Satan was appointed to guard us--and went way beyond His call of duty. Satan wanted for us to be free and to develop ourselves, not have some Almighty Lowlife Scumbag holding us down.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Yeah, WTWizard, it's good that they don't really exist, isn't it?

No one in their right mind believes they do...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit