GIVE IT women…

by Marvin Shilmer 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

GIVE IT women…

Today I added a new article to my blog addressing the Watchtower mindset regarding woman, and particularly of married women. Pictures are telling!!!

My article is titled Too something for somebody… and is available at: http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com/2012/08/too-something-for-somebody.html

Marvin Shilmer

http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Marvin,

I remember those changes. Weird cult. As if a woman in a bathrobe is too erotic.

What did you mean, " There is more to the replaced image than meets the eye" ?

I checked out the footnote and am not getting it! Please elucidate,

00DAD

• Splash
    Splash

Ah yes, the 'Ram' picture.

Seems quite appropriate given the subject matter!

Splash

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

What did you mean, "There is more to the replaced image than meets the eye"?

Watchtower has long put women down. According to Watchtower, women were made to please their man. The edited image from the Live Forever book illustrated a woman ready to please her man. The mentality remains. But the original illustration was replaced with something a little more politically correct. After all, Watchtower’s male dominated society does not want folks (especially women) to learn what it really thinks.

Marvin Shilmer

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Plus they added the ram's head. That usually gets more comment.

• TD
    TD

Just a personal observation as a pretty good people watcher. (What else is there to do at a JW convention?) My impression is that a great many JW's of both genders are trapped in sexless marriages.

The JW treatment of the subject is predictably naive and simplistic (i.e. "Just do it") and the pictures are arguably sexist. But I think the discontent is real.

• binadub
    binadub

Those impressions would have gone right over my independent bachlorette head at the time (I married later--"out of the Truth").
    My take on the first article, with either illustration, would have been that both married sexes were to please each other and the implication in the first illustration I would have missed. I am amazed that an illustration as provacative as the first would have been deemed suitable to the subject in a religious magazine--even now.

I see the clear implication now in the second one (Women Were Made to Please), but a naive mind like I had then would have wondered if the phrase meant women were made to [be] please[d]--same with children. :-)))

The Watchtower has mastered the art of vaguness so they can always claim it meant something else.

But if you want to know something that actually blew my mind about the Watchtower teaching regarding the status of women, it was in the 1966 book "Life Everlasting in Freedom of the Sons of God" (the book that started the 1975 furvor), on pages 45-48, pp 22-25. While everyone else was focused on the 6000-year creative day due to end in 1975, it was that discussion that captured my attention. I thought someone had slipped that craziness by the GB while they must have been too busy to really grasp what was said (I didn't know Fred Franz had written it of course). I didn't discuss it with anyone, I just waited to see if the JWs would accept this as I understood it to be saying--they did! It was another validation added to my suspician that JWs went on blind faith. I was still trying to "wait on Jehovah."

~Binadub

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“My impression is that a great many JW's of both genders are trapped in sexless marriages. … I think the discontent is real.”

I recall an incident where a wife complained to elders that her husband was not rendering “the due”. Understandably this woman felt deprived.

Her husband wanted to “reach out” and had been counseled against oral sex. So he stopped rendering what he and his wife both agreed was historically the only stimulation from which she achieved sexual climax.

Ultimately this marriage ended with sexual repression at center stage. Unfortunately this is not an isolated circumstance.

I have to agree with TD.

Marvin Shilmer

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Awesome pictures!! Thanks for the comparison. I saw the creepy ram's head right away, whats up with that? I love the change from perfectly acceptable hot wife who likes sex, to dumpy puritan-like wife waiting for hubby after a 5 hour long JC meeting. He needs to get some frustration out within the bonds of the marital arrangement ( no kinky stuff, WT approved sex only).

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

"But if you want to know something that actually blew my mind about the Watchtower teaching regarding the status of women, it was in the 1966 book "Life Everlasting in Freedom of the Sons of God" (the book that started the 1975 furvor), on pages 45-48, pp 22-25."

Please elaborate, got rid of all literature years ago.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit