Golden Rule: Pure Garbage?

by willmarite 99 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Viviane
    Viviane
    That's what I'm talking about

Which is exactly the opposite of what the golden rule actually says.

• Awakenednow
    Awakenednow
    physics asserts that for every action there is an equal reaction and on the quantum side , you are basically doing whatever it is to yourself. So, take care to act in a way that honors the free will of others while maintaining appropriate balance and boundaries of your own. Promote what you want not what you don't. Either way it will come right back acha.
  • Viviane
    Viviane
    Nonsensical woo.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Eight pages.

Wow.

I've seen some in-depth discussion before, but this... and this subject???

• KateWild
    KateWild

When I was a witness I questioned the golden rule and I thought you should treat people how they wanted.....but someone said to me how about Hitler....does treating Hitler how he wants bring happiness and justice?

Well obviously not, Hitler should have obeyed the Golden Rule...the Golden Rule is the best benchmark of how to treat others in my opinion xx

Kate xx

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I agree with KateWild, OTWO and stillin.

The fact that the Golden Rule has lasted for centuries is evidence that it's not pure garbage.

As OTWO said, the Golden Rule doesn't cover everything but it's a good place to start when considering others.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Well obviously not, Hitler should have obeyed the Golden Rule...the Golden Rule is the best benchmark of how to treat others in my opinion xx

The golden rule says to decide how to treat people based on your wishes, not their needs and wishes. It's disrespectful.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    The fact that the Golden Rule has lasted for centuries is evidence that it's not pure garbage.
    As OTWO said, the Golden Rule doesn't cover everything but it's a good place to start when considering others.

Actually, the reverse golden rule is used far more often. If you run around assuming everyone wants things like you, then you won't get very far. People often mistake societal customs and norms for the golden rule when in fact they aren't the same at all.

Used as written, the golden rule is a terrible place to start. It's "lasted" because Jesus and reasons and people calling their behavior the golden rule when in fact they are doing the exact opposite.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    vivane: Used as written, the golden rule is a terrible place to start. It's "lasted" because Jesus and reasons and people calling their behavior the golden rule when in fact they are doing the exact opposite.

You are exactly right, Vivane.

All one has to do is look to the destructive practices of colonialism throughout history to see that false charity based upon one culture's understanding of 'right' behaviour, to know that the 'Golden Rule' is a political ploy used to control and oppress those who are targeted by it.

The results of applying that 'Golden Rule' has harmed large groups of people historically.

• alexei954
    alexei954
    The diamond rule says to treat people based on what they want. Its biggest drawback is it gives no guidance whatsoever on how you are to determine what it is "they" want.

The misuse being ascribed to the golden rule is more often the use of the diamond rule. It is the diamond rule that gives zero guidance on how to determine how someone else "wants to be treated". With no guidance, one is free to to use whatever approach one wants in determining how other person/people "want to be treated."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit