Golden Rule: Pure Garbage?

by willmarite 99 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Viviane
    Viviane
    I think the Golden Rule doesn't omit this. I would want someone to ask me how I would like to be treated instead of just assuming. This is in line with the Golden rule.

No, it doesn't. However, it does encourage NOT doing this.

Empathy is something easy to feel for someone we care for. Applying that to all fellow humans as a principle even if they are unknown to us personally makes life easier for all. The "golden rule" is just another way of stating that.

Huh? Empathy is understanding how other people feel. The golden rule is taking a dump on how they feel and acting according to how you feel. It is literally the opposite of empathy.

It is generally accepted as positive and you are not naive for thinking so. Just because someone has a different opinion on it doesn't make you naive or the idea less valid. Some can nitpick semantics on just about anything, but that's their deal.

It IS generally accepted as positive unless you actually think about it. Then it's a horrible, selfish idea. Some can nitpick on semantics, but semantics are actually important for understanding things. Some people don't care to understand things, but that's their deal if they choose to remain in the dark.

As mentioned, it's the beginning of empathy and consideration for those beyond your immediate circle of people. It's general politeness and courtesy to others and doesn't need to be more complicated than that

It's the opposite of politeness and empathy.

• Twitch
    Twitch

Thanks for your opinion, Viviane.

I look forward to seeing you asking people here how they would like to be treated and you acting accordingly

lol

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

It seems that if someone should say the pages in his Bible are black print on white paper a few here might accuse him of being arrogant for actually believing he is capable of seeing the true colors of the ink and the paper. Adding that since his Bible is trash anyway why even bother to notice the colors...

I came here to understand my wife's thinking a little better. How it was that she became who she did and why it caused her to turn from me so quickly simply because I could not follow her in her disbelief.

It appears to be a ricochet kind of thing. She would ricochet away from almost everything I said even if I said something small or ordinary like- Honey how about going out to breakfast this Saturday- she would reply- why Saturday, why not Sunday, because you want to go to your useless meeting! It was relentless. Always a dart, always being bitter and angry. I did not oppose her. I just wanted to keep doing what I had done all my life and what she also had done all her life until she decided not to. And that was fine she could stay home and leave the Witnesses if that was her choice I just wanted peace at home but after she left the Witnesses there was no peace.

My short time here has helped me to understand what caused her to change into someone who did not enjoy life unless she was "fighting" the Watchtower. Which in reality she had nothing to fight over because she led a rather quiet life never suffering those things that would naturally cause someone to be angry in our religion. She was a crusader for the sake of being a crusader. She enjoyed the anger I think. The anger at the Watchtower made her blood flow. It was a strange aphrodisiac. The Bible became an abhorrent thing to her.

To me it seemed as if she had found a new religion. A new god that she would give her life to and the reward? What was the reward? I still ask myself this question. The reward was a miserable family life and lung cancer.

If I can say one thing that I hope will be something considered worthwhile here it is this: If you have started smoking STOP! Please stop. And thanks for listening.

Frank

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Thanks for your opinion, Viviane.
    I look forward to you asking people here how they would like to be treated, and you acting accordingly
    lol

What part of that do you think is opinion?

• Viviane
    Viviane
    It seems that if someone should say the pages in his Bible are black print on white paper a few here might accuse him of being arrogant for actually believing he is capable of seeing the true colors of the ink and the paper

Well that's just utterly ridiculous. Colors have well defined objective values that can be measured.

She would ricochet away from almost everything I said even if I said something small or ordinary like- Honey how about going out to breakfast this Saturday- she would reply- why Saturday, why not Sunday, because you want to go to your useless meeting! It was relentless.

I'm sorry you are having marital troubles, but what does that have to do with this topic?

If I can say one thing that I hope will be something considered worthwhile here it is this: If you have started smoking STOP! Please stop. And thanks for listening.

That's good advice, but what does it have to do with this topic?

• Twitch
    Twitch
    What part of that do you think is opinion?

eh, whatever. Not interested in playing this game with you.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Anything you say that applies to how other people should think or behave

I don't tell people how to think or behave, so basically... none.

eh, whatever. Not interested in playing this game with you.

I wasn't playing any game. I simply asked you to clarify something. No one asked you to respond to me. If you didn't want to discuss, perhaps you should think before you enter a discussion.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

...............................Image result for the golden rule............Image result for Don`t be an asshole

• Twitch
    Twitch

Well, I'm bored, so what the hell.

I don't tell people how to think or behave, so basically... none.

Interesting. Well, that's a relief. So then, your comments were only editorial i.e. your opinion?

Or is it a fact that the golden rule is a selfish, horrible idea? Do you have evidence of this? Please be specific and provide references, lol.

I wasn't playing any game. I simply asked you to clarify something.

Which I did

No one asked you to respond to me.

Really? You're seriously playing that card?

Actually you did, by asking me to clarify something (see above). What a crock of shit statement.

If you didn't want to discuss, perhaps you should think before you enter a discussion.

I might have thought you would've asked me first if I wished to discuss it before telling me what to do. LOL

I made a comment, Perhaps I wish to discuss it, perhaps not. To be quite honest Viviane, I've no interest in discussing it with you, specifically. If you have a problem with my opinion, that's your problem. I've no need to debate the validity of the topic

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    I once hear it said that the "do onto others what you want them to do to you", should be "do onto other what they want you to do to them" as not everyone thinks the same way that you do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit