JW's Claim the Truth...Where's the Proof

by Double Edge 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Ok, I'm a senior member, but still 'new' to this board. Since I'm not a JW or Ex-JW, can someone please explain to me how JW's trace their 'authority' to be the True Church that God set up. A JW friend of mine said they go back 6,000 years. How's that possible? I thought Charles Russel was in the late 1800's. How can they claim their history goes back that far (much less 2,000 years to the time of Christ.) What am I missing? Who says they're the Truth except themselves? The Catholics claim the truth through Peter and the Apostles...the Protestants too, except they say the Catholics got off track and they put the Church back on track. Even the Mormans say God restored the original Church through a visitation by God and Peter, James and John...whether you believe any of those claims or not, at least those that do believe have a 'link' to the original Church. How does the JW's get back past the Bible Students...?

• Gopher
    Gopher

Well, it's like this... everybody who ever was faithful in the Bible "bore witness" to Jehovah by their actions. Starting with Abel, Cain's brother, through all the faithful men and women of old mentioned in Hebrews chapter 11, to Jesus himself who was called the "Faithful and true witness" in Revelation 3:14. See the connection, they're all witnesses!!! And of course the nation of Israel was a group of "witnesses" to God's sovereignty, as it says in Isaiah 43:12.

So of course, the religion now known as Jehovah's Witnesses goes back 6000 years. The differences in the way they witnessed compared to the way JW's witness, is of course, new light!!

See the connection! Then you have great faith!! (I remember one time someone told me Jesus was a Catholic. hmmmm... sounds like similar reasoning.)

-J.R.

The preceding post was not evaluated by any mental health professionals.
    The opinions expressed are those of a fuzzy, cuddly rodent.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

>>Well, it's like this... everybody who ever was faithful in the Bible "bore witness" to Jehovah by their actions. Starting with Abel, Cain's brother, through all the faithful men and women of old mentioned in Hebrews chapter 11, to Jesus himself who was called the "Faithful and true witness" in Revelation 3:14. See the connection, they're all witnesses!!! And of course the nation of Israel was a group of "witnesses" to God's sovereignty, as it says in Isaiah 43:12.
    So of course, the religion now known as Jehovah's Witnesses goes back 6000 years. The differences in the way they witnessed compared to the way JW's witness, is of course, new light!!<<

Gopher,

YUP!!! That's the explanation I was given when I was studying. And I bought it cuz I didn't know any better :(

Shredded families and ruined lives;
    The WBTS has MUCH to answer for......

Hugs,

Sunspot

• D8TA
    D8TA

I think the best one I remember is:

"Well, um see, there's always been people who err, thought the same way we do. Yah, that's it. That's it. And see, these people who thought the same as we do go back to when the congregations were started. They just never, eehhh, organized....yaaah, thaat's it. And, and, well...some of them were to afraid to say anything because, um, the churches would persecute 'em. Yaah, that's it."

I luuuuv them broad analogies of vague people holding a common idea, with absolutely no proof, no records, no evidence to back it up.

D8TA

~ A day no season would claim ~

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit