Need Help! About Blood Transfusion

by Marvin Shilmer 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Not too long ago I read a news story on this forum about deaths due to medical errors in Australian hospitals. I think it had something to do with statistics generated by some minister in a department of health in Australia.

Part of the article cited numbers of deaths (or errors) due to blood transfusions and a conclusion that transfusions were given more often then medically necessary. Can anyone here help me find this reference material?

I know I read it on this forum, and there was a link to an online article. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• sf
  • Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Hello, sf

Thanks, but, believe me, I tried online searches with the likes of Yahoo, Google and the rest. Those two searches you linked to do not give me what I am looking for.

What I read was a news article that quoted a source about the number of deaths in Australian hospitals related to errors. Part of the summary had to do with the unnecessary administering of blood transfusion. I need to find that news article again.

By the way, has anyone read the latest about a JW father okaying a blood transfusion for his daughter after re-examining scriptural tenets? I wonder how he will be treated now?

You can read the story here:
    http://www.canada.com/calgary/news/story.asp?id={CFBA7833-E461-4DCB-80BF-F8438BCB1D50}

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

You might have to copy the link and paste it into your browser.

http://www.canada.com/calgary/news/story.asp?id={CFBA7833-E461-4DCB-80BF-F8438BCB1D50}

Here is the text:

Jehovah's Witness praises hospital staff
    Calgary Herald

Tuesday, March 12, 2002

The father of a Jehovah's Witness girl suffering from leukemia praised doctors for improving her condition through treatment that includes blood transfusions forbidden by their faith.

The 16-year-old girl and her mother are trying to have the transfusions stopped, but her father, who is also a Jehovah's Witness, believes they are necessary to keep her alive.

"The treatment is working," the 51-year-old father said Monday. "Words can't describe my appreciation to the staff at Alberta Children's Hospital."

The teen has been undergoing chemotherapy since last month and the province gained temporary custody of her after she and her family refused to allow blood transfusions.

The father changed his mind after rereading Bible scriptures.
    "There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that my daughter was on the verge of death . . . and that without this treatment she would have died a long time ago," he said in a written statement.

Blood transfusions are considered necessary because leukemia depletes red blood cells, which carry needed oxygen to the body's vital organs.

• siegswife
    siegswife

Marvin, I think it was in 'Watching the World' in one of the Awake's from February of this year.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns
    The father changed his mind after rereading Bible scriptures.

Thanks for sharing that article. Interesting.

It would be nice if certain ones would suspend their disassociation policy surrounding the blood matter until those in Bethel can be united in the direction they plan to take their blood policy.

With many of these men harbouring their own uncertainties, it is a wonder how they can allow such things to continue in good conscience.

Path

• siegswife
    siegswife

Yes, if it's the same one, it's Feb. 22, in the Watching the World section, under the heading Blood Transfusion Dangers.

It says: "about 18,000 (Australians) a year died as a result of complications they developed directly as a result of the medical treatment they received."

This doesn't say from 'blood transfusions' although this is implied by the direction of the article. This appears to be misleading.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Mucho thanks siegswife!

That was the article I remembered reading. Let me tell you how one JW has restated the material. He wrote:

"The problem with blood transfusions is that there is absolutely no certainty of survival - a recent New South Wales Health Department study showed that 18,000 Australians die each year as a direct result of blood transfusions (wrong blood type, contaminated, toxic shock etc.)."

His assertion is preposterous, and maybe dishonest! We will see how he responds when confronted with fact.

Thank again!

Pathofthorns,

We agree here. If only those in charge would be objective, and/or considerate of those who are.

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

. http://www.smh.com.au/news/0106/16/pageone/pageone10.html

Doctors give 'dangerous' transfusions

By Judith Whelan, Health Writer

Doctors continued giving blood transfusions to patients after being told they did not need the treatment and that it could kill them, an expert on hospital safety has revealed.

Dr Ross Wilson, head of the NSW Council for Quality in Health Care, said the cases showed it was not enough to merely tell medical staff how they needed to change their practices.

"It's a bit like getting a ticket from a speed camera - it won't stop you from going out and speeding again," he said.

Last year, a team directed by Dr Wilson carried out an audit of blood use in 10 NSW hospitals.

It found that one in three transfusions were being administered when, under NSW Health guidelines, they should not have been.

The guidelines call for a blood transfusion if the patient's haemoglobin level is seven or below.

One should not be given if the level is 10 or above. (A healthy male's haemoglobin level is about 14 to 16, a woman's 12 to 15.)

"In the middle is a grey area where clinical judgment should be used," Dr Wilson said.

Giving an unnecessary transfusion could kill a patient by inducing heart failure, he said.

It could also transmit viruses, or there was a risk of the donor blood being incompatible with the recipient's.

Dr Wilson suggested that other checks and balances be introduced into the hospital system, such as doctors being asked to fill out forms that reinforce transfusion guidelines or double-check their requests for transfusions in computerised links to the blood supply service.

Such changes would be likely to be opposed by doctors, on the grounds that they would interfere with their ability to make clinical judgments about their patients.

The audit results were made public in January, and the researchers told the doctors of the results.

But when they took another audit a month later, the results were the same; the doctors had not changed their practices.

"I have no reason to expect they'd be any different now," Dr Wilson said.

Doctors were not deliberately endangering patients' lives, he said.

"There are some practitioners who think increasing the haemoglobin level of patients increases the safety of patient care."

He said the study showed that "new change strategies" had to be introduced to decrease the risk of mistakes being made.

For instance, the best-practice guidelines could be included on the form doctors filled out to request a blood transfusion, or computer systems could be linked to the blood bank so that guidelines could be cross-checked with the transfusion request.

Dr Wilson said: "Ultimately, and this is the method I prefer, patients would be informed about it so they could question their physician directly."

That might include fact sheets being given to them or their families, he said.

Six years ago Dr Wilson co-authored the study Quality in Australian Health Care, which found that about 18,000 people a year died as a result of complications they developed directly as a result of the medical treatment they received.

-----------------------------------------------------------

ChristianObserver stated the following

The original article has been 'selectively edited' and you will see that the final sentence of the article has been placed within the body of the quotation within Awake!. This sentence relates to an entirely different study by Dr Ross Wilson into medical accidents - not deaths from transfusion, although its positioning suggests that it does the latter. If there were 18,000 transfusion related deaths per year in Australia, there would be outrage I would have thought!
    This is what is called a "misleading insertion".

Marvin I had a chit chat not only with the reporter but I have also contacted the father. I have directed him to this site and have been getting a few people to call him back. Do you want to talk to him?

I am on strike today so I don't know if I will be able to get to my Email but I may be able to get it to you another way - let me know.

hawk

p.s. - orginial thread is http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=22324&site=3

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

FLAG

for Marvin

Marvin - do you want to talk to the father?

I can't access my Email account right now but let me know via this thread if you want to talk to him.

He has no friends and needs as many of us as possible for support.

hawk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit