When You Were A Witness Did You Ever Celebrate A Birthday or Holidays?

by minimus 21 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I knew some families that celebrated "Family Day" on Christmas Eve or some time around the holiday.

I don't know of too many Witnesses that actually celebrated but kinda came close....haha

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Yeah. UBM FTW!!

• Jadeen
    Jadeen

I know some people that celebrated "Hidden Present Day", where wrapped gifts were stashed throughout their house. My mom would buy us presents shortly after Christmas, but they weren't "Christmas presents". She called them, "I got my bonus check presents". When she visits my house in the winter, she always admires our mini Christmas tree. That's the one holiday she really misses celebrating.

• minimus
    minimus

just like eating turkey on Thanksgiving....we used to do that because "everyday was a day of thanksgiving to Jehovah".

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome

Not really, but our mom would always make our favorite dessert sometime around our birthday, but not on the birthday. As for Thanksgiving, always being on Thursday, which back then was meeting night, our family and extended family would always have a big turkey dinner (only because turkeys were plentiful and on sale at that time) on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Hypoctitical I think, but even back then I don't think my super JW family could really find any good reason to not give thanks for the life and freedoms we enjoy in this country. Especially since, in 1912, my grandfather had escaped a tyrannical government in Romania.

• minimus
    minimus

I knew elders that went after people for celebrating the 4th of July. Pulheese!

• Glander
    Glander

raising 5 children as JW's my wife and I could not help but note the special anniversary of each childs birth. But we never had any celebration per se.

We made up for lost time when we got out.

• minimus
    minimus

but celebrating an anniversary was ok.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Never celebrated a holiday unless I was at a relatives home and was tricked into it. This is not really a Thanksgiving gathering, but a family get-together.

• cedars
    cedars

No, but Mrs Cedars always had a thing for christmas trees for some reason! They were her guilty pleasure during visits to the shopping mall.

Cedars

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit