Did refusal to Serve in Military prevent U from getting a Passport later?

by nuthouse escapee 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

Not wishing to Hijack Diest's thread I wanted to ask the above question to those who were affected. The criminal record you received is terrible in itself, but I wanted to ask if it has affected whether or not you could get a passport. - Leslie-

• Farkel
    Farkel

No.

• NOLAW
    NOLAW

No.

• talesin
    talesin

Jimmy Carter issued a blanket pardon ...

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0108/7974.html

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Jimmy Carter issued a blanket pardon ...

Yes. I received one, but the pardon was conditional and was mostly to repatriate the US kids who fled to Canada to avoid the draft. As I recall, the condition was the pardon could be earned if the draft-dodger would give two years free community service.

The Justice Department told me that since I had never fled the US and had already performed the community service I was immediately entitled to the pardon.

Farkel

• Scott77
    Scott77

I read elsewhere that one of Watchtower President had a US passport even though he refused to take part in military training. god know how he got it.

Scott77

• Farkel
    Farkel

: I read elsewhere that one of Watchtower President had a US passport even though he refused to take part in military training. god know how he got it.

He sold out his religion to Caesar, that's how. US Citizens had to swear an oath of allegience before they could be issued US Passports. In order to travel oversees and spread WT propaganda, ALL WT Presidents from Russell to Henschel swore that allegience. The link below from our own Marvin Shilmer provides scans of those documents, complete with pictures of the presidents, and their signatures.

To say those men were lying hypocrites would be way too kind.

http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com/2010/05/oath-of-allegiance_11.html

Farkel

• talesin
    talesin

Thanks, Farkel. I wasn't sure what the 'conditional' terms were, though I was aware of the 'fled to Canada' part.

Interesting note. I knew a draft dodger (or two) when I was a kid. This guy I worked with... a hippie freak ... he was such a nice guy. He married a gurl from here (a dancer), moved to the left coast, and ended up writing sci-fi, winning some Hugos,,, Spider Robinson. I saw one of his books at the library a few years ago, and looked him up online. We emailed a couple of times.

:)

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

Thank you to all who commented. I am very glad that blanket pardons were issued. I asked this question because my husband is a long haul truck driver and goes from home (Ontario) to the US every week. He had to pass both a Canadian & US criminal check, (with fingerprints) to get a FAST card to cross the border.

I was very happy to learn that the WT's stupidity didn't permanently interfere with your freedom to travel, especially in view of the information Farkel provided from Marvin's blog spot. How many of the rank & file were ever aware of the WT leaders swearing an oath of allegiance to get a passport. Like everything else, it's okay for them but not anyone else.

The more I learn, the more disgusted I am for ever being a part of this hypocrital organization.Leslie

• Farkel
    Farkel

A correction here: it was not Jimmy ("Communist") Carter who issued my full and unconditional pardon. It was President Gerald R. Ford in 1974.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit