Did Jesus shun the obstinately willful or incorrigible sinners?

by I_love_Jeff 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• I_love_Jeff
    I_love_Jeff

Did Jesus shun the obstinately willful or incorrigible sinners? A popular JW on yahoo answers is insisting that Jesus shunned those types of sinners. I do not recall Jesus shunning anyone in His time.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Make shit up, change reality.

They are experts in doing that.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

From the appearance in the LIE-ble, Jesus hated the Pharisees. Yet he frequently denounced them directly to their faces, not shunning them.

• mP
    mP

Jesus only hated the Pharisees because they were opposition. He wanted to control minds, and his competition were hte other religious leaders of his time and place. The WTS attitude to other religious institutions is the same. Both claims to read the same holy writings, and follow them but somehow the others are completely damned. He never said the Pharisees believed the wrong things. He did say they follow laws but then in Mt 5 he says the law is great and criticizes the Pharises for not following the law enough.

• the-illuminator81
    the-illuminator81

Jesus partied with the worst of sinners, it was his favorite passtime. Extortionists, prostitutes, those were the people Jesus liked to hang out with. He never shunned anyone.

No we have self-appointed apostle Paul to thank for that doctrine. Thanks Paul, for drowning humanity in 2000 years of misery.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Since the Pharisees weren't his disciples, he couldn't very well shun, but he did expose their hypocrisy. What about his disciples? John 6 gives us the answer. John 6:60: "Therefore many of his disciples, when they heard this, said: "This speech is shocking; who can listen to it?" What did Jesus do? Shove them out? Call them apostates for not believe his words? Not at all. Verses 66 and 67: "Owing to this many of his disciples went off to the things behind and would no longer walk with him. Therefore Jesus said to the twelve: "You do not want to go also, do YOU?" No, Jesus just calmly and quietly let them go. No berating. No name-calling. No shunning.

• matt2414
    matt2414

There is absolutely no evidence that Jesus shunned people. In fact, the Jesus had a conversation and associated with the greatest sinner of all: Satan! Matthew 4:1-11 even says that " the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple" and " the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor." Why would Jesus allow himself to be led about like this if he was shunning Satan. (God also had a conversation with Satan in Job chapters 1 and 2, where he willingly participated in a challenge with his arch enemy.)

Also, there's 1 Peter 3:19 where it says that the resurrected Jesus " went and preached to the spirits in prison," spirits that the Witnesses themselves claim are fallen angels or demons. No shunning there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit