It's all about me.

by smmcroberts 8 Replies latest jw friends

• smmcroberts
    smmcroberts

But it's mercifully brief.

Actually, "Teeny" sent me. But I eagerly began posting here without first re-introducing myself. I realize that could be considered slightly rude. So here goes: I'm Steve McRoberts, and I used to post here years ago.

I was in the org for 4 years from age 17-21. I was a Bethelite. After they unjustly disfellowshipped my pioneering sister, I began to read the old literature in the Bethel library. Out of this came a long letter full of questions and general apostasy which I sent to the Governing Body. In response, they had the "factory committee" of elders sit down with me for several days of meetings lasting several grueling hours apiece. In all that time they never tried to answer any of my questions, rather they just berated me for having done such a sinful thing, and for "being out of step" with the org. In the end they said I should leave Bethel and I agreed wholeheartedly. They expected me to go back to my old congregation back home, but I never set foot in a Kingdom Hall again.

Instead, I wrote a fictional account of my experiences which became the full length novel: Falling in Truth: The Education of a Jehovah's Witness. This book sat in my closet for decades until the advent of the Internet when I made it available there along with my letter to the GB, and other articles about the Witnesses.

Recently I came across Teeny's hilarious blog site and have begun writing some of my own blog articles for the general amusement of my former brothers and sisters (that's you, btw).

I've been out of the org for 35 years now, and have never regretted that. Today I'm an atheist and very happy to be free from the god delusion.

See you in the forums!

--Steve

• sizemik
    sizemik

Welcome (back) Steve . . .

I'll make my way through the novel, it sounds interesting. Thanks for the free on-line version.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Welcome back! Will be reading your book soon.

• lostinthought
    lostinthought

Wow, just a few days ago I was on amazon looking for something to read and I found your book! I'm still reading the beginning of the novel but it's good so far.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I meant to post here when I joined the forum because I had just finished the book and I really enjoyed it. It does a great job of taking one through the reasoning that a person has when they join the organization, and how they can get disillusioned by hypocrisy or by deeper study of the Bible and the history of the Witnesses. You covered the major teachings and counter-arguments to them very thoroughly. It made the point well that how a person chooses to interpret the Bible is a matter of the perspective they choose, or want, to take. I see "FIT" being really good for anyone who is a questioning believer or who has never been a Witness and wants to know what it's all about (although non-Witnesses could probably use a little more elaboration on the front end of the story about certain terms and how things like field service work, I think they will get the point).

I appreciate that you strike a balanced stance, pointing out that some Witnesses are sincere and that there are nice things about the religion (although the bad things, such as the no-blood teaching, make it a net negative, I think we can agree). Otherwise, if it's so bad, why do so many people find the ideas intriguing enough to get baptized? The fact is, some people love the teaching about a paradise earth, and some love the fellowship they find in the local congregation because they haven't yet seen that in other churches they've been to. I was especially impressed with the realistic characterizations; perhaps based on people you knew, but I'm sure also due to your talent for storytelling. Thanks for writing it, I hope it finds a large audience!

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

Awesome! Glad you're here!

• smmcroberts
    smmcroberts

Thanks everyone, for the welcome!

Apognophos, you made my day month! With your kind permission I'd like to add your comments to my "Reviews" section on my web-page.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Sorry, I just saw your reply the other day, smmcroberts. Did you get my PM in response? I just learned that there is no notification when PMs are received on this forum, so apparently I have to make a public post to tell you there's a private message for you :-) Also, I can't find the message in my Sent folder, so maybe I didn't send it right....

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I literally just saw your book on Amazon.com. Spooky!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit