Question for ex or current :) bethelites

by EndofMysteries 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

If any of you have worked in the mail department or are familiar with how mail is handled. Two questions. 1. If a letter is sent to the main bethel address and the name is "The Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses", will that letter reach them or is it opened and read by an underling who decides if it works it's way to them. Question 2. If the letter has the name of an individual governing body member and even says confidential. would that go directly to them or be opened and read by an underling?

Bottom line, is there anyway to address and send a letter that ensures they they get it?

• cedars
    cedars

There are always underlings who intercept and open mail on behalf of the Governing Body. It's impossible to guarantee that any letter addressed to a Governing Body member will actually reach them, regardless of whether it's marked "confidential".

Of course, the irony is that Governing Body members are supposed to be imitators of Christ, who made himself personally available to everyone, even at inconvenient times.

Cedars

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

cedars - The elders as well, it was interested when I read the "shepherd the flock' book, how people may need more attention and help, and they may have to at times to limit and just move on to others. Since these people are taught only spiritual help comes from the WT, that reading their own bible they can't get understanding, they are prevented from the promise and help that Jehovah and Jesus said they would personally give them. So people are told not only to not lean on their own understanding (taken out of context, the true meaning means your own understanding vs the bible NOT your understanding of the bible vs WT), and when they truly need help, a few elders for over 100 people, who have to work fulltime and support their families, cannot possibly care for the needs of the whole flock. They then prevent the holy spirit from helping these people. "Sorry we don't have time, but don't think you'll get it on your own either, that will just lead to rebellion and you becoming apostate".

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Maybe on both counts. But thanks to their brainwashing, they have elders open their mail, kiss their butts, and pass on what they deem relevant.

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

When I was there, I worked in one of the departments that handled mail. When mail is sent to bethel, a member of the mail room or shipping signs for it no matter who it is addressed to. Depending on who the sender is, (like if its the IRS or something) at times bethel will open mail even if it addressed to an individual. This is legal, part of the dozens and dozens of forms you fill out authorizes them to act as your agent. (They also make you sign one authorizing body disposal).

If it is addressed to "Governing Body" its going to be a secretary, likely an elder, that opens it. I remember signing for all sorts of weird looking packages, I did not open them, but the handwriting on the outside made it look like something some freak like Ted Kazinzke (sp) would send out. The sort of stuff that gives respectable apostates like most of us a bad name.

If it is addressed to an individual member of the GB, I am not 100% sure but I would imagine they have other people open it just in case it has something harmful in it, that it would take out an easily replaceable secretary instead of the big-wigs. This is pretty common with large corportations, especially since 9/11.

I had to go in a few of the GB's offices for some reason or another at various times, and all the mail in the inbox appeared to have been already opened, so I assumed it was by a secretary vetting legit mail from stuff that could be tossed or handled by other parties.

• ronwashington
    ronwashington

i wonder if they'd vet the mail if you sent it in the inter-bethel email and addressed it to their room. probably.

damn dude i remember signing that form for body disposal. pretty creepy.

• ronwashington
    ronwashington

this also reminds me of an amusing anecdote.

Apparently for years bethelites who subscribed to Sports Illustrated would never receive the Swimsuit Issue. The mail room would just straight up throw them away. One of the years I was there they stopped doing that, saying that it was up to the brother's conscience. They instead put the magazines in manila envelope and then in the brother's room (i guess so others wouldn't be offended)

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

Yes Ron I remember that! They also had a note that if I requested, they could dispose of it for me each year it came! Lol, those were the only ones I saved!

• ronwashington
    ronwashington

how nice of them to throw them away for you. i can guarantee the home overseer had a list of brothers who didn't opt in to have them tossed.

were you there when Brother Couch gave a lecture during morning worship about bethelites 'wrestling around in their underwear and then the next you know he's a homo'

direct quote i shit you not.

edit: or ask me about the time my room-mate ratted me out for owning a dvd copy of lord of the rings. he was a fucking creep. he was 22 or 23 and dating a 16 year old. made me sick.

• TheListener
    TheListener

Couch and his "homo" comments are legendary. He even talked about how bethelites would visit the Manhattan nighclub CBGBs and could turn "homo" by touching the door handle. He was insane in the membrane.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit