JOB-Was He Used As A Gambling Pawn?

by PaintedToeNail 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    Christians shouldn't try to interpret Jewish Scripture because it will only confuse them.

Robbie, I am going to have to call you out on that. That statement is sheer nonsense.

• Diest
    Diest

BTS I agree it is a nonsense comment, unless she was joking. Louis Black made some nice points.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

I think that Job was screwed in this. How can getting double or more of your family members replace the ones you lost originally? Of course such feelings are felt more with women than men. Maybe that is why Job was being tested and not his wife.

• Diest
    Diest

Job is my least favorite story from a bible literalist perspective. Every part of the stroy just drips with how much of a jerk the OT Jehovah is.

• Robdar
    Robdar

BTS, I was joking. And I loved your responses because you have a very good understanding of Judaism.

Thanks, Diest.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    BTS, I was joking. And I loved your responses because you have a very good understanding of Judaism.

Well then .

• botchtowersociety
  • WTWizard
    WTWizard

He was used as a template for all of us. Make him suffer a lot, make him wait a long time, give a resolution (that might not even be legitimate), write it down, refer everyone else you make suffer to that account in lieu of giving them the resolution.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

I agree that Job was most likely a morality story. The idea that Satan would be casually making wagers with the Almighty just never made sense. Lucifer rebelled against the Father and as a result was banished from Heaven. Lucifer also knows his ultimate fate is to be cast out into outer darkness and it's something he and his angels fear. (See Matthew 8:28-29) But they are the ones that placed themselves beyond the Atonement's saving power. It's not a casual, or light, matter on either side. It has all the attributes of a morality play.

Samson was another one I doubt. First, he did not deliver Israel as the angel said before his birth. And no one could be that stupid. He confided in the Phillistine woman three times and all three times she betrayed him. On the third time, they poked his eyes out and made him push a grinder all day. He also murdered people to pay off a debt and engaged in animal cruelty. His life was pointless. Finally, I doubt Jonah too. Not because of the whale story, but because Nineveh was a Gentile city, and why would a Hebrew God want to call a Gentile city to repentance? I also know the kinds of people who lived in the port part of cities, where you could get murdered very easily and in which prostitution was rampant. It would be like calling the tenderloin section of San Francisco to repentance. Good luck with that!

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Ironically, it was a reference to Job in a Watchtower last year, that made me realize that I needed to fade. Thank you to everyone for your posts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit