Fear of Dying

by snare&racket 10 Replies latest jw friends

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I was thinking about how to explain to a family member how I have no fear or issue with not living in a paradise earth etc. They dont believe I left the JWs for good reason, they think like every JW that i must be bitter about the religion or something.

I am an atheist and for many reasons I dont fear death, but i was trying to think of a way to explain it from a JW perspective when it hit me...... It doesnt matter.

Option A: do t believe in god and believe that i will die and there will be eternal nothingness

Option B believe there is a god based on the bible, and declare war on this god as he is an evil dictator demanding worship and sacrifice. He commanded genocide, slavery, racism, incest, infanticide, homophobia, sexism etc etc etc for this ...... He will throw me in a lake of fire where i will die and.... Experience eternal nothingness.

A=B ...... There will never be a paradise for me.

Snare x

• ILTSF
    ILTSF

Makes sense to me. I was just thinking about this in response to that other thread about whether you would go running back to the JWs if it looks like the predictions were coming true, and the simplest answer to me is no...I will not worship that God no matter what.

• binadub
    binadub

So how do you feel about saving other people's lives and keeping the elderly and sickly from dying?

~Binadub

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

How do You Know when Your Dead?..

............................ mutley-ani1.gif image by GeneralWaco ...OUTLAW

• Tooz
    Tooz

I don't fear death, but I do fear dying...

as far as the very sick ... I believe in prolonging life, but I don't believe in prolonging death

• binadub
    binadub

I believe in prolonging life, but I don't believe in prolonging death

Not sure I understand the difference. :-)

~Binadub

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I believe in prolonging life, but I don't believe in prolonging death

Not sure I understand the difference. :-)

Perhaps a (too) simple comparison: Insulin prolongs life. Chemo for Stage III/IV cancer prolongs death.

Doc

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Comedian/Atheist Penn Gillette had a good comment on this. He pointed out that he did not exist 200 years ago, yet the thought of 1812 did not fill him with fear and dread; he knows that he also will not exist in 2212 and feels no fear or dread at that prospect.

Although The WATCHTOWER teaches otherwise, DEATH IS NATURAL. ALL living things in the universe die. It is EVERLASTING LIFE that is an unnatural and horrifying concept.

"Let me show you from the Bible how God's will is for you to eat lasagna for all of eternity..."

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

For me it is the realisation that at death I will be utterly alone that fills me with fear, dread but also an inquisitiveness. Saying my last words to my darling daughter and son and their families will be the most painful goodbye.... Considering a "paradise" filled with self righteous slaves to a demon god will not be a priority...

• talesin
    talesin

Tooz, you wrote this:

I don't fear death, but I do fear dying...

as far as the very sick ... I believe in prolonging life, but I don't believe in prolonging death

That's how I feel, too. Death is part of life; it would be nice if the dying was not prolonged.

t

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit