In Your Estimation What Percentage Of Witnesses Actually Believe They Have The "Truth"?

by minimus 40 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

People become afraid of change. Leaving=change of one's whole life. I think many stay in because of fear.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    People become afraid of change. Leaving=change of one's whole life. I think many stay in because of fear.

I think you have a point here. While probably there are few out-and-out atheists, I doubt that much more than 50% actually TRULY believe that armageddon and the new world are really going to happen within their lifetimes.

• minimus
    minimus

Even my faithful JW mom doesn't think she'll see The Paradise.

• undercover
    undercover

Admitting you were wrong is tough enough on it's own...especially when admitting that you were part of a cult.

Then - trying to convince everyone you really ever had any association with that suddenly you've figured it out and they're still duped is even harder.

And then throw in the pressure of trying to keep a stable family life through all that...

I'm guessing that there a good many who are mentally aware but physically unable...or unwilling... to break free. It has to be mental torture.

I'd bet that another large percentage hope that it's right. They may not be 100% convinced, but they're afraid to look too deep in the rabbit hole, so they hope and wish and pray for the best...that they indeed are part of the one true organization and all that sacrifice was worth it.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Steve3, you for got to add:

Even if it is NOT The Truth (TM) , it is still the best way of life.

• Sheep2slaughter
    Sheep2slaughter

Steve2 said: modern family or America's most wanted

Modern Familt of course. That's not even a close race.

Plus,"True Christians" would never watch an immoral show like Modern Family because it make them turn into homosexuals. Duh.

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

Theocratic Sedition makes a good point regarding the preaching work. When I bought into it all, service was important. When I started 'waking up' service was the first thing I dropped, followed by less meetings until one day I told my ex that I would never set foot in a KH again.

If hours in ministry are an indication then it looks as though many really don't believe. Agreed that many stay in for family and friends. I think the longer you are in the harder it is to get out. I have pity for those trapped between a rock and a hard place because of family. What a sad waste of life.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Outsmarthesystem makes a good point. The vast majority think the WT$ is Gods organization- warts and all. Changing doctrines and harsh control tactics often bother JWs but to leave would mean they left God. They meekly "wait on Jehovah" to set things strait. They don't have to believe everything is true to be the "Truth". This disconnect is evidence of the effectiveness of WT indoctrination. They just have to believe it is the modern day ark, the only way to assure salvation for themselves and those they love.

I am more and more convinced that the GB know that a lot of what they teach is wrong but they don't care. It doesn't matter as long as they can manipulate the flock to stay loyal.(and of course,contribute) Loyality is emphasized over accuracy.

• ILTSF
    ILTSF

I won't try to come up with numbers because I don't think I can. However, it seems like a lot of older ones WANT to believe very, very badly. Some may fully believe...others, it's like they believe to some degree and try to believe the rest. As others mentioned, they are very afraid to leave all that they have ever known.

For younger ones...I don't know how many can really truly believe. I feel like some just don't even ever think about whether they believe or not, because life as a JW is clear cut and easy for them...follow this path, do these exact things, etc...they don't have to think about it. For myself, I know that I thought about it quite a bit during the age of 13-17 or so...and I remember coming to the conclusion, a few times, that whether or not it was true, I was protected and safe and I would be able to find a husband who would treat me good (as a teenager with a history of abuse this was important to me)...now I realize that that wasn't even true.

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

Outlaw, that is exactly what my Daughter told me.

She can't leave all her "Fake" friends.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit