What is your fondest/or not memory of cargroup ...

by ofcmad 18 Replies latest jw friends

• ofcmad
    ofcmad

The Compassionate Toliet thread brought this frightening memory to mind...
    the field service assignments!

Did you all have the same feeling of dread of being stuck with a particular person.. knowing that you would have to listen to their dribble throughout the day.. or listening to that poor sister's sinus condition where she would make that, for lack of a better way to describe it, hock-a-luegy sound with her nasal passages every 10 minutes.
    Then lets not forget the positive side.. how you wished with glee, and finally got to work with the car group that would goof off half of the day and the other day go to not-at-homes that would definitely still be not-at-homes.
    BTW, fondest memories are when I was asleep, or we were in b.f.e. and I had to find a bathroom.

Actually, I have to pass this one ... I worked with a fellow officer that used to be a JW.. (we had the best of times at work) anyhoo.. one day on beat he told me that he was assigned to a cargroup of elders because he was needing "encouragement". Well, the two elders, left him and one of their daughters alone in the car. When they arrived back to the cargroup, they had found him making out with the elder's daughter in the back seat. LOL.. anyhoo.. he said that shortly thereafter, they actually encouraged his parents to send him to military school since he was so encoragable.

ofcmad

• larc
    larc

I had good memories as a child. During the summer, my mother, my sister, two aunts and a cousin would go out in service together on a week day. After service, we would have a picnic at a local park.

• VioletAnai
    VioletAnai

When I was 15 I had a crush on a M.S. He was 29 at the time and drove a nice sports car and was rich and that was why I liked him (I've now realized money means absolutely nothing to me, there's more important things!). I used to cross my fingers that I'd be in his car group and guess what! It musta worked cause I always did. Then I'd spend 3 hours drooling in the back seat, trying to get his attention any way possible, usually by singing to the radio.

That was the best times I'd eva had in field service. Well, it's the only thing to get me out there in the first place. If he wasn't at a meeting, I'd sit there and sulk for two hours cause the meeting'd just drag on without a good perve!!!!!!

You've been a BAD boy, go to MY room

• Ranchette
    Ranchette

There are so many!
    but here's two for now.

I used to regular aux pioneer when I was a teenager and for some reason most of the zealous sisters had three and four kids apiece in the cong I was in.

These were little kids (kindergarten and below).

We always had to go in a station wagon with at least six of these little rugrats in "the way back" as it was called.
    This was back in the good ole days before carseats and seatbelts were required.

Anyway the mothers sat in the front and we singles and teens had to sit in the middle seat between the parents and children.You can only imagine how fun that was!

It was a free for all back there because these mothers were very passive.
    I swore I would never have kids after going through a couple of years of this.

I must have forgotten this oath because I now have two of my own.

The second thing I remember was at the same congregation.

A new unbabtized family started going in service one winter.

The had moved from a large city to literally live off the land.
    NO plumbing, NO electricty, NO deoderant, NO soap,.......

To say they stunk was an understatement!

I got stuck in the back seat with a couple of them and I had to put perfume on my nose and roll the window down even though it was freezing so I wouldnt throw up.

Shortly after this time the elders had a meeting with them and they finally cleaned up.

Ranchette

• kheli
    kheli

When I was younger I thoroughly enjoyed going out in service overall. But as a young adult, I absolutely hated it.

I spent most of my time feeling left out because none of the "popular" people would invite me into their car groups. I would always hear about how everyone (but me and my partner)went out to some really nice restaurant after service and how much of a great time they had. *sigh*

However, I didn't enjoy doing early morning streetwork, that's when we caught up on all the gossip.

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Ofcmad: You mentioned being an officer in your post. Were you a police officr? I didn't know witnesses could be police officers.

• terafera
    terafera

Yes,

Ofcmad, I was just going to ask that. My husband is trying to become a police officer...he has passed the first few tests and will take another next week.

Any suggestions?

• Introspection
    Introspection

When I heard the joke about the scripture describing pioneering in a VW bug:

"We are pressed in every way, but not cramped beyond movement. We are perplexed, but not absolutely with no way out." -2 Cor 4:8

• wheelwithinwheel
    wheelwithinwheel

As a youngster my sister and I would have to sit in the car when our parents went to do « back calls», after the door-to-door bit. My dad turned off the motor even in the winter (you couldn’t waste gas) and we sat there with our frozen feet which had already been turned into blocks of ice walking door-to-door in 30 below. For comfort we’d take off our boots, put gloves on our feet and laugh at our gorilla feet, waving them in the windows as cars went by.

Later when I got my license the only way to get to drive dad’s car was to go out in service. So during the summer holidays I went to the group during the week with his car. Six older sisters were assigned to my car. A sister and I went to do a call. She looked back and shrieked. With all the talking and discussing before getting out, I’d left the car in neutral and it was rolling downhill with the remaining 5 sisters aboard. I took off after the car and managed to hop inside with quite some difficulty. I finally saved the day by applying the brakes and jamming the car into park. The sisters were very quiet for the rest of the morning and seemed quite relieved when noon came around.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Well, in London, where I grew up, car groups were unknown... everything was walking distance, and the weather's not that bad ever. You might DRIVE to the map, but that was five, ten minutes. Even in rural areas when I was still attending, it was a rare thing.

I do remember, at age five, being in a car group when my parents were visiting NH, USA. It was cold, and snowy. I thought it was a great idea, but I only ever did it the once.

Violet; I thought it was just the boys who perved their way through meetings!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit