does the bible condem smoking??

by master chief 14 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

It doesn't say anything about smoking because it WASN'T INVENTED THEN.

Hey - do you know what? The bible doesn't say you can't stick a gun in your mouth and pull the trigger!

Let's all go and do that.

Anyway, who cares what it says? It is obvious smoking is bad for you.

• ChristFollower
    ChristFollower

Sola Scriptura. Where the Bible speaks, Christians should speak, but where it is silent, Christians should be silent. I agree that we shouldn't "fill in the blanks".

Smoking will not prevent Salvation, as the JW's piously assert.

I would recommend not smoking for health reasons, but it is a personal choice - like eating junk food all the time.

• clash_city_rockers
    clash_city_rockers

Wise answer CF

They are three Chucks in the 19th centery 2 godly ones Chuck Hodge and Chuck Spurgon and one satanic Chuck, Chuck Russell.

Let's Talk about Chuck Spurgon. Did you know he smoked like a chimmny? Well kind of.

Check this out

http://www.spurgeon.org/misc/cigars.htm

• thinker
    thinker

I posted this long ago, but it seems to fit here as well:
    It is my contention that many of the actitivities prohibited or discouraged by the Watchtower are used to control JW's time and money.
    Smoking is just one example. The WT claims the prohibition on smoking is for the good health of it's members. I suggest they want your tobacco money in their own pocket. As proof, I submit the following article from the official watchtower website:

"ORTHODONTICS
    What Is Involved?"
    http://www.watchtower.org/library/g/1998/4/8/article_06.htm

Why would a religion care about ORTHODONTICS !???
    1) Orthodontics can be used for:
    a) Improving your appearance
    b) Correcting a health problem

2) Orthodondtics is EXPENSIVE !

After a lenghty and boring explanation of what is involved, the WT concludes it's article with the following:

Today, orthodontics can satisfy many of the needs of those who have tooth and jaw problems, including those who desire to smile without being self-conscious about their teeth. Of course, whether a person decides to make use of orthodontics or not is a personal decision.

For the time being, mankind has to reckon with physical imperfections, some of which may be alleviated by corrective measures. Nevertheless, we can look forward to the time in God's new world when he will eliminate completely and permanently all the effects of imperfection, including those of the mouth. Then, in that new system of perfect health, each of us will be able to offer with confidence a warm, friendly smile to everyone we meet.

Note how those wishing to straighten their teeth for appearances only are separated:
    "... can satisfy many of the needs of those who have tooth and jaw problems, including those who desire to smile without being self-conscious about their teeth.

Note how a "true christian" might get the idea that his money might be better spent by giving it to the WT to ensure his ticket to the "new world":
    "Nevertheless, we can look forward to the time in God's new world when he will eliminate completely and permanently all the effects of imperfection, including those of the mouth."

Maybe they should just "wait on Jehovah":
    "Then, in that new system of perfect health, each of us will be able to offer with confidence a warm, friendly smile to everyone we meet."

The meaning seems clear to me. While it is a "personal decision", those considering spending money on othodontics for aesthetic reasons only may want to " look forward to the time in God's new world when he will eliminate completely and permanently all the effects of imperfection" and send money to the organization instead.
    The only reason to include this article is to discourage those considering expensive, non-essential proceedures. In plain English: they want that money for themselves!

• Perry
    Perry

Amazing said:

Jesus said that what comes out of a person is what defiles them, not what goes into them.
    WBTS commentary:

Many people have often wondered if it is appropriate to inhale tobacco smoke based on Jesus' words above. We have always maintained that we are not masters over our brothers' consciences. Since Jesus' words clearly indicate that what enters the body has no theological ramifications or consequences; the question, "Is it wrong to inhale tobacco smoke", could be seen by some as a conscience matter outside of the jurisdiction of the Christian congregation elders.

So, if a Christian found that his conscience was not bothered by inhaling tobacco smoke, an adjusted understanding would dictate that no congregation action would be taken with such a person. However, one should think hard about Jesus' counsel that it is "what comes out of a person that defiles him".

In harmony with this greater understanding and new light on this issue of great importance, it will be the policy of the congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses to only take disciplinary action against those who choose to willfully and deliberately exhale tobacco smoke even though the inhaling is in harmony with the Christian freedom Christ so lovingly afforded to those that follow him.

Sadly, some have chosen the course of pride, and ran ahead of Jehovah, even before this enlightened understanding, and chose to inhale tobacco smoke. In order to preserve the unity of God's organization, regrettably they had to be disfellowshipped.

Even those who had the correct understanding and who chose to inhale, but because of conscience issues could not conscientiously exhale had to be regrettably disfellowshipped even though having already expired from asphixiation. They died in a disfellowshipped state and have lost their prospects of living forever on a paradise earth.

Others, wishing to prove their loyalty to God's organization chose to align themselves on the side of righteousness and refrain from inhaling even though they saw no harm in it. How thankful those ones now can be that they were obedient and are now free to inhale.

One such brother recently inhaled tomacco smoke in harmony with this new understanding, and also wishing to prove faithful, "even unto death", refused to defile his body by exhaling. He has set a fine example for others to follow and has built up treasures in heaven where "moth and rust do not consume". He did not die in vain, and we can look forward to welcoming this brother back from the dead in the new system.

True to the charge to dispense food at the proper time, we can thank the faithful and discreet slave for interpreting and clarifying sometimes difficult passages and not rely upon our own understanding. Only by doing this can we make a collective "reply to him that is that is taunting me".

Yes, to the glory of our everlasting King and his Spirit directed organization, we embrace the counsel, "Be wise my son and make my heart rejoice"!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit