More about me - my favorite subject

by Aunty 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Aunty
    Aunty

Since everyone gave me a warm welcome I'll go ahead and tell you my whole story. As I said before, I was raised in the truth in Central Ohio. Regular Pioneered starting in senior year of high school (should have studied more instead...)for about 3 years, then decided to quit because I had a falling out with my best friend at the time and she and half her family were pioneering. So I met a cool guy that worked for the same company I did, only in California. One day, I just decided to move to CA - shocked my parents (they of course only though of me as a good little girl, which up until then I was)- and moved in with my now husband. We married 2 years later and have been married 7 years now. For the first couple of years I would defend the jw's to my husband any time he criticized them, but finally realized that the things he was pointing out were true. At that point I decided to do some research on the internet, and found Freeminds, H2O etc... Wow, this really opened my mind. It's funny, when you're a jw you think you're so unbaised and accept all people - what a laugh! I learned to open my mind and accept others opinions from my husband and his family (never jw's). Almost 10 years later, I can't believe I ever was a pioneer and actually believed in what I was preaching. At this time my nephew is out, but other than that I haven't and won't try to bring any of my family out. If they lost the organization, they'd have nothing in their lives and absolutely no hope in life. Pretty depressing.

By the way, I really like this board, and everyone's comments.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Have you read Ray Franz two books? Very telling too.........

• Gopher
    Gopher

Welcome again, aunty. (I think I spelled it rite this tyme.)

Your posts are interesting and show a sense of humor. Please keep posting!! (Just a rodent's opinion, of course)

J.R.Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• Celtic
    Celtic

Welcome Aunty I can't recall your name.

I'm not on brightest form, due to this rather bad cold, so will look out for your posts in a day or so when I'm feeling better. Great seeing you here and in the meantime, take excellent care of yourself.

All the very best!!

Mark

• Aunty
    Aunty

Thi Chi -

I have read COC and ISOCF - both helped reaffirm what I researched on the net. At this point in my life I haven't decided exactly what I believe - but that's okay for now. I consider myself a Christian, but have read with interest some of the postings here regarding the authenticity/inspiration of the Bible.

• gumby
    gumby

Hi again Aunty.
    Question for you. You said."If they lost the organization, they'd have nothing in their lives and absolutely no hope in life.

I also wonder which way my family would turn if they left.
    I myself am a christian and would hope my family would be the same if they left.

I was wondering why you would feel your family would have no hope if they left? Perhaps they would feel this way for a while.....but....I have noticed many on this board who have said they have felt free for the first time in their life after leaving.

Perhaps your family might feel the same way, or learn what the bible really teaches and find happiness this way.

• lv4fer
    lv4fer

You know I thought the same way about my dad. But talked to him a few weeks ago about some of the things I read in COC and it sparked some interest in him. He asked if he could read it. I dropped it off to him yesterday. My dad is 78 and lives by himself. He still works and goes to meetings and service etc. I just couldn't stand him telling me how Jehovah directs this and that and blah blah blah. I'm not sure what he is going to do when and if he reads that book. But I know you can only be happier when the loads of the Borg are lifted off you.

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Hi again Aunty,

Thanks for sharing a part of your story with us. You're quite fortunate to be out so young! All the years you *haven't* wasted, good for you.

Your mention of your family sounds like my mom. She's in her 60s now and I really believe that without the organization, she'd be bereft. The only family member that is out with me is my sister, who also posts here on the board. The rest of the family think we're pretty evil!

Anyway, glad you're here.

Dana

• Aunty
    Aunty

Gumby -

The minute I mention anything about their beliefs, the red flags start to go up and the word "apostate" comes to their minds. This would just close the book on any discussions. They've never had the real kind of doubts about the organization to think they should look elsewhere for answers. My brother was DA'd when he was about 17 - my Mom still speaks to him, but that's about it. I can't blame them though. It's so much easier to deal with life issues if you think someday it'll all be fixed and we'll all live in this perfect world. Since I'm still on speaking terms with the family, I'll probably wait to hear some doubts first. Which is funny because they all know I celebrate all the holidays, and yet they just look away regarding that.

Also, my sisters have kids that are all gung-ho jw's and if my parents were out, they couldn't take the shunning - it would kill them. So I think, do I destroy the only thing they've ever believed in and risk them not having any contact with family - is it worth it? At this point I don't think so. They've had the same beliefs for 40 years, finding out it was all for nothing would devastate them.

• gumby
    gumby

Aunty.....I was talking about if your family LEFT the Org....which way would they THEN turn?

Also....my sisters have kids that are all gung-ho jw's and if my parents were out, they couldn't take the shunning - it would kill them

My wife is the same way with my daughter and her two kids and husband.
    If my wife were to find out the Org. is bunk.......I don't know how she could handle the rejection that would come as a result.

It makes you wonder how many would leave if there was no repercusions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit