"Neither can salt water produce fresh water." - James 3:12, RNWT

by 88JM 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

I don't know guys. I think we are reading too technically into it. Its essentially saying you can't dip a bucket in the ocean and draw out water that isn't salty. Obviously this is true. I'm no bible defender, but I don't think I would go very far bringing this up as an inaccuracy, when future desalinization isn't really the point of the statement.

This might be grasping at straws.

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

The Greek text reads:

Oute halikon glickie poisay hydoor.

In English that would be: "Neither does a spring of salt water manufacture sweet."

Literally the words are: NOT SALT [,] SWEET MANUFACTURE WATER.

That the text isn't speaking about whether water can be desalinated is clear from the first part which uses the same structure in stating: "a fig tree doesn't manufacture olives."

A person's mouth is compared to the fig tree and salty spring, and the question is what each produces or manufactures. The implication is that a person's heart is "salty" not "sweet" if the product is like what comes from a salty source. Besides Moses changed salt water to sweet according to the legendary narrative of the trek through the wilderness, so this is likely not a denial of what can be done with water.--Exodus 15.25.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit