Lest We Forget...September 11, 2001

by sunscapes 12 Replies latest jw friends

• sunscapes
    sunscapes

Anybody watching the CBS special now?

• VioletAnai
    VioletAnai

No, but I watched the sixty minutes special last night. Still sends a shiver down my spine. So eerie watching those images again, I don't like being zapped back into the past like that!

Chills you to the bone that anyone could be so inhumane...but look at the news everyday...that horrible woman that hit a hobbo and then left him in her windscreen...I just can't understand how a person can do this to another. Rotten.com has pictures of dead people, people who die horrible, violent deaths and they laugh about it. Is the world really becoming so cold that human suffering doesn't bother anyone unless it's within your own so-called protective cycle?

And terrorists think they're doing god's work! God don't need human help, I'm sure he's quite cable of killing us all off, if he were so inclined.

• bigboi
    bigboi

Yeah i just stopped watching it actually to come here.

It's a stunning piece of film work. It's almost surreal. From the inside of the lobby where the firefighters were, it still seemed unbelieveable that that building would fall. The horror and shock u see in ppl's faces is like watching a movie.

ONE....

bigboi

• sunscapes
    sunscapes

yeah...unreal. The suffering and death transcended religions, national groups, young and old, rich and poor. As in the rest of the world, the indescribable evil continues; yet courage in the face of that evil stands.

• sunscapes
  • felix a
    felix a

We just finished watching the show. I still can't believe it happened.

I'm overwhelmed with a saddness that hits me from time to time as a result of that day. I lived in that city for nearly two decades of my life. I knew people who worked in those buildings. I knew people who were in those buildings the day they were destroyed. When I think about all those who lost family & friends that day I weep for them.

I'm also proud of those men and women of the FDNY & NYPD and all those who volunteered in the days and weeks afterward to help the people of NY. I remember wishing I was there and wishing I had something to offer in the way of help.

While it really is a sad thing to see what the fanatical belief of true believers can cause. I am relieved to see such selflessness and acts of bravery in our fellow man as represented by the volunteers who served in the aftermath of 9/11.

David

"Vision is the art of seeing things invisible"
    Swift

• VioletAnai
    VioletAnai

Our firefighting boys have just arrived home. They look so harrowed and forlorn and shocked and disorientated.

To all our hero's on ground zero - thank you for the tireless effort in trying to find anyone down there so families can have peace of mind. It's truly touching.

• heathen
    heathen

I watched it myself and thought it was a very interesting look at how the people involved are coping with this completely tragic event in history.I thought robert deniro was doing a great thing when he volunteered to narrate and donate all proceeds to charity.For sure the big apple will never be the same.

• Cowboy
    Cowboy

Where Were You (When The World Stopped Turning)

Where were you when the world stopped turning that September day
    Out in the yard with your wife and children
    Or working on some stage in L.A.
    Did you stand there in shock at the sight of that black smoke
    Rising against that blue sky
    Did you shout out in anger, in fear for your neighbor
    Or did you just sit down and cry

Did you weep for the children who lost there dear loved ones
    And pray for the ones who don't know
    Did you rejoice for the people who walked from the rubble
    And sob for the ones left below
    Did you burst out with pride for the red, white and blue
    And the heros who died just doin' what they do
    Did you look up to heaven for some kind of answer
    And look at yourself and what really matters

(chorus)

I'm just a singer of simple songs
    I,m not a real political man
    I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell you
    The difference in Iraq and Iran
    But I know Jesus, and I talk to God
    And I remember this from when I was young.
    Faith, hope and love are some good things he gave us
    And the greatest is love.

Where were you when the world stopped turning that September day
    Teaching a class full of innocent children
    Or driving down some cold interstate
    Did you feel guilty cause your a survivor
    In a crowded room did you feel alone?
    Did you call up your mother to tell her you love her
    Did you dust off that bible at home
    Did you open your eyes in hope it never happened
    Close your eyes and not go to sleep
    Did you notice the sunset for the first time in ages
    Speak to some stranger on the street
    Did you lay down at night and think of tomorrow
    Go out and buy you a gun
    Did you turn off that violent old movie your watchin
    And turn on I Love Lucy reruns
    Did you go to a church and hold hands with some strangers
    Or stand in line and give your own blood
    Did you just stay home and cling tight to your family
    And thank god you had somebody to love

(chorus x2)

May we never forget

Cowboy

• home_and_dry
    home_and_dry

Does anyone in the US know if there are any plans to air that programme in the UK?

I am in two minds as to whether I could watch it or not, but I from what I've heard about it, it would be good to have the opportunity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit