What reason to be JW for so long?

by ashitaka 16 Replies latest jw friends

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Why were you a JW for so long? What positive thing kept you in? or was it negative? Was it fear for the last part of it? Was it still the Paradise (or Armageddon)which glued you to all of it?

What broke the cycle of apologizing for the JW's?

I'm of the opinion that eventually people in the hall will be the last straw....I think pretty much every JW can put up with unfulfilled prophecy as long as the people are nice. After that, they see there's nothing in the JW's at all and leave, combust, etc.

Opinions?

ashi

• JT
    JT

i was told it was no where to go

the devil you know is often times veiwed as better than the devil you don't know

• target
    target

I agree with you Ashi. There were things that bothered me for 30 years but I always figured Jehovah would make it clear and understandable so all I had to do was be patient. It was the back stabbing, favortism, gossiping, and who was good enough and who wasn't that I couldn't take anymore. I saw a brother work all his life to be an elder and it will never happen because he won't be a puppet for the PO. The PO's new son-in-law moves to town and is immediate elder. The Payton Place stories are endless. That was the last straw. Finding out about the UN stuff was just icing on the cake.

Target

• BQE
    BQE

I was born into it, my parents were both very active and zealous, my grandparents and great-grandparents also. It was expected of me to continue in the family tradition of sorts to pioneer, go to Bethel, get married and have Watchtower babies. I rebelled from the time I was about 9 years old because I wanted to be like my friends and celebrate birthdays and christmas, and be able to do school plays and join the girl scouts. There was a time when I did everything I could to get DFd, especially after 1975, then I finally was. Never looked back. I always thought the whole Armageddon/Paradise on earth thing was BS.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I was indoctrinated with the Watch Tower Corporation nonsense by believing parents. The rote dogma of the Watch Tower became my core beliefs. It was like swimming up stream for me. Eventually I left the group but the flawed core beliefs did not leave me.

I remained a believer long enough to help one young lady commit suicide, enter into a mystical marriage, have 4 sons and helped to make their lives miserable. I made very bad living decisions like deferring an education, not planning ahead because I didn't believe in "ahead".

I resisted leaving the group and I resisted confronting the claims made by the group leaders and the information they presented as support, as long as I could.

It was much easier not to confront my core beliefs. I can easily understand why anyone would not want to do that.

gb

• Rummy1
    Rummy1

Mine's the opposite of the rags to riches story at least from a jw's point of view.I was brought up as a jw from the age of 7...by the time I was 20 I was a reg pioneer servant never off the platform etc you know one of those vomit inducing do gooder types who all the elders and pioneers loved to bits and I kissed their arses too.
    After marrying a pioneer it all went steadily downhill(!)
    Didn't have any secular qualifications ... wife suddenly decided she NOW wants a career....Due to marriage probs becoming obvious to elders they took me off servantship,not long after marriage ended..divorced..got remarried too quick (rebound)to screwed up jw.
    Had a breakdown leading to depression..meeting attendance haphazard
    ...by this time i was in late 20's early '30's...still in "truth" but struggling

Flash forward to July 2001.Went to assembly (what a bore).Never attended another meeting since!

Looking back though i did have my doubts even early on but buried them.(once sneaked a peek of apostate book in public library)

When I got on internet the temptation was too much..now here I am...

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

It's all I ever knew. I was raised in it, third generation. Even when my parents died, it felt safer to stick to the familiar. I knew there were problems, but it took me forever to face the facts, because I knew it would turn my life upside down if I found out it wasn't the truth. It did, but after all the dust settled, life is so much better since I took a stand.

cb

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

It seems like it's a mixture of blind hopelessness that keeps us in, and people burning us that gets us out. Of course, the hook that entices us in the beginning is the 'carrot' of paradise.

It's seems so simple, but JT said it all in his post. People would rather fight what they know, and just hope for something better, no matter how hopeless it seems. That's why most of the JW's I've known were depressed and bitter.

Target, Garybuss, Rummy, very similar situations, and I understand you well.

BQE, you sound like me.

Coffe-I'm glad you did face it....it's gets better quicker than you think.

It just seems like no matter how hard you try to be a good JW, you just won't make it unless you become the corrupt men you want to reform. I would probably have stayed a JW if the people were at least cordial, but there just wasn't enough substance to stay. Everyone was the shales of what they used to be as people...they turned into propoganda machines, and that's an empty life to live.

ashi

• collegegirl
    collegegirl

I am 19. I am still a JW, on the outside. Attend meetings, go out in service, give talks, etc... However, I am just going through the motions. I was raised in the "truth" and was baptized at 16, mostly due to pressure from a particular elder. My best friend (also a JW)began telling me a few things about the organization a few years ago, about the many inconsistencies and some of his doubts. At first, I would get so mad at him for telling me stuff. We got into more than one argument because I wanted him to shut up and stop making me doubt what I always knew as true, but he wouldn't. Today, I have him to thank for keeping the pressure on and making me realize what actually goes on.

What keeps me in now though is fear. Not so much fear of being shunned, but fear of hurting my dear friends and family. I know that once I get the courage to leave, I will be able to handle the shunning. I figure that true friendship is unconditional, and if I end up not having any true friends, so be it... I can make new ones. The problem I have is hurting my family, mostly. I am extremely close with my mother and aunt, and they would both be devastated if I left. My dad would be upset because he wants my mom to be happy, but since he himself is unactive I think I would be ok after a while with him.

So, ashi, to answer your question, overall I think it is fear and insecurity for me. I really care a lot of what others think of me, and don't want my image to be trashed. But, I guess I'll see in the long run what really happens.... I really am glad I finally started posting here. It helps a lot to talk to people who have similar feelings and experiences and doubts, and reassures me I'm not crazy.

• Rummy1
    Rummy1

collegirl I'm sooo glad you're 19 and at college ... use your time wisely believe me before you can cough you'll be 30.Cos I was a dub i left school at sixteen and wasted my time pioneering.I always had niggling doubts but buried 'em (just kept thinking about the carrott)
    When I was 19 I probably would have "marked" somebody who talked "apostate" to me and secretly shunned him !!What an a--hole.
    Amazing how things turn out.
    Get out while you're still young and see how your "friends" treat you.
    I can't believe the so called mates of mine who now don't even call or phone me just to see how I am (never mind the bible)
    I've found more friends on here in the last month than any jw's in the past 10 years and they don't even know me personally.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit