Updating the NWT again

by nicsfreedom 38 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Aware!
    Aware!

Bobcat said:

Went home and researched and couldn't find any explanation.

I couldn't find any either until I tried google and found a thread here with an explanation. I was also mad because they never told us.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

The Watchtower Punished: Society loses legal battle over child abuse case-

TheQuietOne- the quote was taken from Cedar's Blog. http://jwsurvey.org/general-information/the-watchtower-punished-society-loses-legal-battle-over-child-abuse-case

This was from Cedars Blog : "This means that if somebody molests a child without any witnesses and subsequently denies any wrongdoing, the elders will be forced to take no further action against him, and continue as though nothing has happened."

(Sorry, Cedar. I credited you name at the end of the article but forgot to post the link.)

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Regarding Job 14:14, even the WTLIB 2011 edition doesn't contain the updated translation.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Sheep2Slaughter:

I have the feeling they like to keep these things for the CO's so they can 'wow' people with their keen insights. I kind of see it as 'crumbs' being tossed our way from the table of the 'rich man.' (aka the rich man and Lazarus from Luke 16)

Aware:

Thanks for the link to the previous (two years ago) thread. That was 'before my time,' if you know what I mean.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Someone mentioned a possible change in 1 Thessalonians. 4:13 has been changed:

Pre-2006 printing: "those who are sleeping [in death];"

2006 printing: "those who are falling asleep in death;"

(The removal of the brackets has been mentioned elsewhere. So my comments won't touch on that.)

On the technical side, "are sleeping" or "are falling asleep" is the present middle form of koimao [Strong's #2837]. The change is unremarkable. It falls under the 'six of one, half dozen of the other' catagory. The New Linguistic and Exegetical Key to the Greek NT comments: "To sleep, to fall asleep. [The] Pres[ent] is probably timeless and denotes a class, "The sleepers." " (twv koimomevwv = "the ones" or "those" "sleeping")

On second thought (as I type this), there is somewhat of a difference between "are sleeping" and "are falling asleep." Technically, (with regard to death) "are sleeping" would refer to those already dead. "Are falling asleep" might favor those who were in the process of dying. It is probably splitting hairs, but I think the context (especially verse 14) would favor "are sleeping" in verse 13. (That is, the pre-2006 version.)

I could imagine someone in the Writing Dept. looking too long and hard at it. If someone else reviewed it later, they might just as well change it back. If there are any proficient in Greek here, it would be interesting to hear an opinion.

Take Care

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

George Orwell wrote in "Animal Farm" Chapt 8

"Some of the animals remembered, or thought they remembered , that the sixth commandment decreed "No animal shall kill another animal"..... [Now it read] ..."No animal shall kill another animal, without cause". Somehow, the last two words had slipped out of the animal's memory. But they saw now that that the commandment had not been violated after all"

Perhaps the WTS are reading the same book, and playing the same game????

• undercover
    undercover

I was gonna say that updating the NWT is about the same as J.K. Rowling updating a Harry Potter book, but then realized that I was wrong.

Millions of Potter fans would be incensed and demand an explanation. NWT fans don't even read their copies of the NWT. They'd probably not even notice anything.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX
    Pre-2006 printing: "those who are sleeping [in death];"
    2006 printing: "those who are falling asleep in death;"

2012 revision - "those who are falling asleep at the kingdom hall"

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

"I just realized that you can actually use the NWT translation to prove the DEITY of Jesus so I am guessing the scripture alterations are related"

No, you can't use any Bible to prove the deity of Jesus. The Bible can only be a reference. It is not proof. Even if the Bible directly, uncontroversially said that Jesus was Jehovah God, that is not proof. Proof is evidence that can be verified.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit