spirituality and religion - what are the differences?

by soft+gentle 68 Replies latest watchtower bible

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Jeffro: Some aspects (particularly, the more rational bits) of what some people call spirituality are actually philosophy.

Interesting thought and I appreciate the distinction you are attempting to make.

I'm going to have to think about this for awhile before I try to articulate my thoughts on it, but a cursory response would be that while there may be some overlap between spirituality and philosophy, they are not the same.

In deed, much philosophizing gets into speculating about things supernatural that are neither provable nor disprovable.

00DAD

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

i am not sure the two are mtually exclusive

there are many religions that claim to be nondenominational

many that are very accepting of others differences

there are some christian churches that are very accepting of homosexuals and within any particular religion, you have people that have a very wide range of beliefs

i think of this more like the difference between ionic bonds and molecular bonds

there is a range and a mixture.

spirituality - - - - miixture of the two- - - - - religion

in my own personal view, i think of the extreme end of spirituality as stressing the personal relationship with god, while 100% rejecting any sort of organized form of worship. how YOU do it is how YOU do it

conversely, in my own view, i see the extreme end of religion as stressing the relationship with the religion while minimizing the relationship with god.

and then you have the mixtures which say that they don't care what you believe per se, they want the fellowship, association and the opportunity to bounce ideas off each other while finding that path to god. some have more rituals and organization than others.

that's why i don't really see the two as mutually exclusive

just my 2c.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    there may be some overlap between spirituality and philosophy

True. But quite a lot of philosophy is fairly irrational as well.

• Fernando
    Fernando

God created the time-space dimensions we live in.

He resides in much higher dimensions.

For me spirituality describes an awakened condition where we are aware of our inner human spirit, its connection with higher dimensions, information from these dimensions, and those residing in these dimensions.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Carl Sagan makes higher dimensions sound rather simple (7 minutes):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwL_zi9JNkE

• Fernando
    Fernando

Multiverse theory by Dr Michio Kaku (10 minutes):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBrIBs3YRWI

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    God created the time-space dimensions we live in.
    He resides in much higher dimensions.

That presumption is about as valid as the 1960 claim in The Watchtower that god would use antimatter at Armageddon. It barely even makes the grade of pseudo-scientific drivel.

• apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

Religion is the social and public expression of spirituality.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Jeffro: ... quite a lot of philosophy is fairly irrational as well.

Yes, that's what I meant when I said, " Indeed, much philosophizing gets into speculating about things supernatural that are neither provable nor disprovable. "

Why is it that even when we agree with each other your responses seems like you're being contrary?

00DAD

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I think that spirituality and faith are part of the human condition that most religions to one degree or another use to control and often exploit.

One big difference in my view is that a spiritual person need not be burdened with the mind controlling (& brain damaging) concept of sin, which is the main device most religions use for control.

If there were no teachings on what is "sinful", the need for religions to interpret and control the actions of their followers would be nil.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit