Post 607: Reject 607 BC if You TRULY Trust the Bible!!!

by Londo111 100 Replies latest watchtower bible

• kepler
    kepler

Londo111,

Thanks for the reply. I think I understand your point of view and hope that I haven't made your task or the overall discussion more difficult or bitter. In any case, it is difficult enough to sort these matters out for one's self. But as we get older, we feel more and more responsibility for what we tell those that follow, younger than we are, our children or anyone that looks to us for advice.

I am not satisfied with either of the extremes we are all talking about even if the calendar problem is put to rest.

Kepler

• Londo111
    Londo111

Kepler,

Not difficult or bitter at all. I believe I see where you are coming from. You discovered information as you were studying the publication, doing the due diligence that most do not do, and as a consequence, your fiancé broke up with you. I know how much that must have hurt and how offended you were.

Witnesses, even elders, for the most part, are sincere. They believe that everything in publications is accurate and well researched and will defend it as the day is long. I believed so at one time myself. I had a few Bible studies and explained 607BC and 1914 and 455BC and the 144000, and so forth, explaining everything I had learned in intricate detail and believing what I was teaching was from the Bible. If I stumbled upon information that was to the contrary, I would feel intense fear, run away from it and in time forget what I had seen. I believed that the organization had my best interest in mind. After all, why would they misrepresent anything? They did the deep research, so why should we?

It's something that I'm not sure you could understand, from the outside looking in. I was a captive of a concept. I had not done a true history study of the organization, nor could I approach the publications with an objective eye. Nobody wants to come to the realization that they have been misled for decades. It's an awful truth to confront. Some have actually been hospitalized after learning TTATT.

There are many Witnesses that are waking up every day. Or something rouses them from their slumber, and for a time, they lower their shields, and decide to look on the internet for a bit. Therefore, it is important for their sakes, to be able to make it easy to wake up as possible.

You do not realize how much effort this takes. I was disfellowshipped for six months (I am reinstated now) before I gathered the courage to start googling. And even then, it took three more months for me to realize that sites like JWFacts and Freeminds were not, as the Society was telling me, all "lies, half-truths, and misrepresentations."

I am not sure if you read Steven Hassan's first book, but if you haven't I encourage you to do so. It would give you much insight into those from our background.

• kepler
    kepler

Londo111,

It was a little difficult to decide on how to reply to your post. Re-reading it, I am glad I hesitated because I probably got stalled on several of your remarks.

"Captive of a concept", which I believe is the title of one of Hassan's books, sounds like the concept you want to convey - and then we are doing something of a sidebar about how to address the matter.

You don't mind if I start this thread back up, do you?

While I had something of a short essay planned about other types of oppressive systems which I had either experienced or studied, running into four elders at a local coffee shop changed my mind. When my party dispersed I went over to ask them if they were familiar with Jeremiah 25:8-11 and its pronouncement of a 70-year period of desolation. It had been cited in a 03-03-11 ministry school handout as a "proof". I believe they knew that much about what I was talking about. Then I asked them if they were familiar with the next verse pronounced by Jeremiah about Babylon's subsequent destruction. They said no. I said that it was historically inaccurate. If the king of Babylon was not a Chaldean and Babylon was not destroyed, taking Cyrus's own archeological testimonies, why should I simply believe that Jeremiah 25:8-11 was any more accurate?

The rejoinder from the senior elder of the group was that "Well we believe in the Bible over all secular sources." My counter: The Bible did not say when Cyrus arrived in terms of year BC or when the Judeans left. No matter. Several chimed in to say that Babylon was destroyed.

I won't go into the whole discussion. But most of their arguments were of a similar nature. And when they were sure that others surrounding us could hear that they were entirely ignorant of every matter we were discussing, they beat a retreat. I guess they don't feel quite as confident as they do on their home court.

I didn't mention it at the time, but let me mention it now. Eza 8:1.

"These, with their genealogies, were the heads of families who set out from the Babylon with me in the reign of King Artaxerxes."

That would be about 458 BCE.

Recently a friend of mine passed on to me this commemorative (50th anniversary) article from the Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/aug/19/thomas-kuhn-structure-scientific-revolutions The discussion is about the nature of scientific work and changes in scientific theories or paradigms, to use Kuhn's larger term. In the case of the elders and the ministry school, we have a situation where a proof is offered, but it is NOT ALLOWED TO BE TESTED. This is an extreme position of orthodoxy. Probably the definition of reactionary. In the above article, where Kuhn discusses scientific revolutions, he is describing a situation where the scientific community is no longer content to remain of a Whig frame of mind: ---

Kuhn’s central claim is that a careful study of the history of science reveals that development in any scientific field happens via a series of phases. The first he christened “normal science” – business as usual, if you like. In this phase, a community of researchers who share a common intellectual framework – called a paradigm or a “disciplinary matrix” – engage in solving puzzles thrown up by discrepancies (anomalies) between what the paradigm predicts and what is revealed by observation or experiment. Most of the time, the anomalies are resolved either by incremental changes to the paradigm or by uncovering observational or experimental error. As philosopher Ian Hacking puts it in his terrific preface to the new edition of Structure: “Normal science does not aim at novelty but at clearing up the status quo. It tends to discover what it expects to discover.”

The trouble is that over longer periods unresolved anomalies accumulate and eventually get to the point where some scientists begin to question the paradigm itself. At this point, the discipline enters a period of crisis characterised by, in Kuhn’s words, “a proliferation of compelling articulations, the willingness to try anything, the expression of explicit discontent, the recourse to philosophy and to debate over fundamentals”. In the end, the crisis is resolved by a revolutionary change in world-view in which the now-deficient paradigm is replaced by a newer one. This is the paradigm shift of modern parlance and after it has happened the scientific field returns to normal science, based on the new framework. And so it goes on...

...The most intriguing idea, however, is to use Kuhn’s thinking to interpret his own achievement. In his quiet way, he brought about a conceptual revolution by triggering a shift in our understanding of science from a Whiggish paradigm to a Kuhnian one, and much of what is now done in the history and philosophy of science might be regarded as “normal” science within the new paradigm.

--- And that's where I want to let up here. It might be my imagination, but many of the proponents of "gradualism" in doctrinal debates seem to hail from England. I would hesitate to say that the approach matches all JW temperments - or the puzzles their world view confronts them with.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Thanks for sharing the article on Kuhn. That was very interesting!

Confirmation bias is rampant in the organization, especially among elders. Even more to the point the problem is, "See no evil. Hear no evil. Speak no evil." Therefore, the problems in the organization do not get resolved. As in all high control groups, doctrine is treated as 'perfect'. Oh, they will admit they've corrected themselves over the years, and will continue to do so, but what is currently being taught must be treated as perfect, even if it isn't. It is part of information control. Information is the fuel of the mind and when only one source is allowed, the worldview will not change.

Approaching several members of a high control group at once, nothing will get through. They are all concerned about what the other person is thinking. If one of the elders said, "You know, you are right!" then he could be subject to a judical hearing. If he gets disfellowshipped, then he loses all his friends and family. Of course, maybe this planted a seed of thought in some of them.

Also, when talking to a person in a high control group, there are various thought-stopping mechanisms ('Where else can I go?') and indoctrinated fears. There is a hairtrigger mechanism that if tripped, sends the walls of their mind crashing down and nothing that is said gets through.

• kepler
    kepler

Regarding control groups. I actually knew a couple of these people. The last time I ran into one of them, he was just chuckling and offered me a flyer to the district convention last month. This time since all were in a group, I addressed all my questions to the senior guy.

I have to say that my ex and I had actually been living together for six or seven years. Her decision to return developed as a result of the death of her son and the funeral. We met with the portion of her family that had been shunning her in a midwest town where her son last resided, a son whom I had never met. I made arrangements for the funeral. Her mother arranged for an elder to speak. After saying words I know longer remember about her son, the local elder turned to her and said that everything evil that had happened to her son was her fault. She had been raised in the truth and had that child at 14.

A couple of the people at the table had worked on dragging her back in. I suspect three at a time.

I haven't even seen her in nearly a year and it has been longer since I have been able to recognize anything about her that I knew.

...If they are worried about losing their families, then at least they have some idea how I feel. If they are given to informing on each other, then let it be on record that I could see that one of them was caving in. They will just have to figure out which one.

-------------------------------------------

From the TaNaKh: Ezra 8:1

These are the chiefs of the clans and the register of the genealogy of those who came up with me from Babylon in the reign of King Artexerxes.

The NWT: Ezra 8:1

Now these were the the heads of the their paternal houses and the genealogical enrollment of those going up with me during the reign of Artexerxes the king out of Babylon.

-------------------------------------------------------

Funny. I don't see any commas in this verse with that last prepositional phrase hanging there. I wonder what that is supposed to mean?

----

• jonathan dough
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks for the link to your article Jonathan, and thanks to all on this thread, I think if a JW is ready to examine this matter in an honest way and with an open mind, it is excellent to prove that 607 is wrong Biblically.

I remember as a young JW in my twenties a number of times coming across the fact that 586 or thereabouts was the date when Jerusalem was sacked by Good King Neb. in secular works that I read, I assumed, having from birth absorbed the WT lies, that the historians and archaeologists had simply got it wrong, "we" knew better, from "Superior Bible Chronolgy", what a load of rubbish that concept is !

After considering the evidence from the Bible itself, and indeed from the WT publications showing the King Lists, the honest hearted JW will appreciate what I eventually came to see, that the WT had been telling me lies all my life.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Awesome thread raised back to life, I thought I'd capture it: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/215643/1/VAT-4956-Astronomical-Observations

BTW--Phizzy, you recaptured the essense of the topic. Once a person sees that both the Bible and the ton of a rcheological/historical evidence heartily agree on the matter, rather than otherwise, there is no going back. In the matter of 587/586 BC, the very stones are crying out.

• Recovery
    Recovery

Londo would you mind posting for us your timeline of events using the 609 BCE based chronology?

To be more specific:

When was the first year of Nebuchadnezzar under the 609 BCE chronology?

In what year was the prophecy of Jeremiah 25 given under the 609 BCE chronology?

I look forward to your responses.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Interesting, but the crux of all this was the Seven Thousand year creative days. Soooo since it is obvious life on earth is MUCH older what difference does it make?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit