Hare Krishnas? I Know This Site Is For JW But . . .

by InterestedOne 26 Replies latest jw friends

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

IO - Accepting a person wo judging them prematurely is always a good policy- and being open minded is too. I just talked w some HK in LA recently and they gave me a copy of the Bhagavad Gita, which I thought would be interesting to look at in comparison to the Bible.

So anyway, I'm not interested in joining ANY movement or church ever again, but they still seemed like nice people, albeit a little strangely dressed lol.

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

RayPublisher - Yes I agree about being accepting, not judging prematurely, and being open-minded. Regarding the Bhagavad Gita they gave you, notice they gave you their version called The Bhagavad Gita As It Is by the guy who started the Hare Krishnas in the 1960's. I am getting the impression that this version is like the New World Translation is to Jehovah's Witnesses. Just like Jehovah's Witnesses claim to be a Bible education work, Hare Krishnas claim to be educating people about Indian culture and Hinduism. Somehow though, just as Jehovah's Witnesses' so-called education all leads back to the Watchtower, the Hare Krishnas' education keeps pointing to their group called ISKCON and the guy who started it - his picture is found throughout their literature, and they even make little shrines that include his picture and a clay cast of his footprints.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

rip van winkle - Actually, my JW acquaintance will no longer speak with me. I learned the hard way what happens when you challenge someone's religion - of course nevermind that they go around criticizing everyone else's beliefs, religious or secular, and -initiate- the conversation! They can dish it out but can't take it.

InterestedOne- Sorry about your JW acquaintance. It is true. As Witnesses we are trained to not read any "apostate" religious material. Plus, we are convinced we have the truth so we don't need to look at any other literature. But, of course, we have the Mankind's Search for God book to aid us in understanding other people's beliefs. The whole purpose of preaching is conversion of interested people.

So why do you come to this part of town? You're not interested in having another study, are you!!!???

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

rip van winkle - LOL no I doubt I would do another JW study-the-booklet. I was sincerely interested in getting to know the person I now refer to as a JW acquaintance. I can't say she is even my friend now that I know what she believes because Jehovah's Witnesses are not friends with the world. I stick around this forum because I have learned a lot here about cults, and I find some of the general religious discussions interesting. I guess I still feel some attachment to her even though she will not speak with me, so I check in on JWN to see what is going on in Jehovah's Witness land.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Well, InterestedOne, I figured as much. Regardless, it's good that you ended up here and have learned about cults before you ended up married and stuck in one!!!

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    She said a pedo coverup would not necessarily stop someone from wanting to go to Penn State or play football there.

WOW, what a poor comparison. Attending Penn State as a student or even as a football player doesn't put you under the influence of child molesters or people who covered up for them. If the stories in the press are to be believed, all of the bad guys are gone. And usually college classes encourage students to develop critical thinking skills. The same can't be said for Hare Krishnas.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

CULT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit