The Watchtower Society Tells Us To Not Look At Older Publications

by God_Delusion 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

And holy cow, he also had the worst voice for speaking. I heard him at the 1978 International Assembly. Very thin, reedy voice, difficult to listen to.

I would call it a wailing banshee voice.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hrumph!!

I've heard that this situation swings both ways - er, 'flip-flops'...

Sometimes JWs are told it's O-K to read the "older" literature; sometimes the Watchtower quotes from older literature....

But I remember as a child, in the early 1960s, picking up the Rutherford book "Children" from the Kingdom Hall library as my parents were having a shallow chit-chat with an overseer or whatever the heck they were called back then.

As I was reading the book, the adults eventually noticed what I was doing, and they snatched that book out of my hands like it was on fire. I was sternly told that we were "not to read" those older books...

That would have been around 1962 - 1963, if I recall correctly.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Freddy Franz talk - 1955. Possibly his voice had changed by 1978. The last time I heard him would probably be in the 1960's. Can't remember much other than he went over time and came back to give the longest concluding prayer in memory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtyYBO1kaYo

George

• ziddina
    ziddina

Oooooo, St. George!!!

Thanks for posting that!!

Can't wait until we get our speakers hooked up so I can have a listen. (Dealing with new computer here...)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit