Misapplication of Matt. 25:40 in Watchtower Study on Sunday

by The Searcher 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

S he ep & Goats

Jesus said, "Truly I say to YOU, To the extent that YOU did it to one of the least of these my brothers, YOU did it to me".

Exactly to whom was Jesus addressing these words, and who were his "brothers?

The subject matter of Matthew chapter 25 deals with Christ's judgement of all humans, and verses 32 & 33 make it crystal clear that there only two groups standing before him - 'sheep' and 'goats'. Keep in mind that during his ministry, Jesus referred to himself as "the fine shepherd" who would give his life on behalf of his sheep. ( John 10:11-15)

He also made it clear, despite his apostles' arguments about who was greater, that none of his sheep would be elevated over the others, and in reality, they were all slaves. (Luke 17:10) Jesus only had one flock of sheep, and it was to this complete flock he was speaking.

Some may protest that Jesus spoke of his "brothers", so therefore his "brothers" must be separate from this group.

Good point - but not backed up by the Bible. Despite what several millions of people have been led to believe about the identity of Christ's brothers, the Scriptures lovingly instruct us as to who God and Christ view are Jesus' "brothers". ( Matthew 12:50)

For whoever does the will of my Father who is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother". ( Mark 3:35)

"Whoever does the will of God, this one is my brother and sister and mother. ( Luke 8:21)

In reply he said to them: “My mother and my brothers are these who hear the word of God and do it." ( John 1:12,13)

"However, as many as did receive him , to them he gave authority to become God’s children , because they were exercising faith in his name ; and they were born, not from blood or from a fleshly will or from man’s will, but from God". ( John 15:14)

"For all who are led by God’s spirit, these are God’s sons". Rom. 8:14)

Jesus addressed Jehovah as his Father . How were all his disciples to address Jehovah? (Matt. 6:9) Some may try to justify their false/misguided teaching by saying that "the Greek Scriptures were primarily written for, and addressed to, " anointed" Christians, because all first century Christians were of the "heavenly " class". Again, a false premise. If this was true, then Jesus' promise to the thousands at the Sermon on the Mount about the meek inheriting the earth was inapplicable for his audience, because they were all going to heaven !

Nowhere

So what was Jesus really saying at Matthew 25:40?

He was addressing and referring to every Christian individually as his sheep and his brothers, (regardless of their hope) and informing each one individually that because they had lovingly adhered to his new commandment to show genuine love for all fellow Christians, they would now receive their appropriate reward. (John 13:35)

in the Scriptures does it even infer that everyone who put faith in Christ, automatically became part of those with the heavenly hope. If it were so, a strong case should be made for the repentant thief who died next to Jesus, to go to heaven also.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Sheep & Goats

At Matthew 25:40,

Jesus said, "Truly I say to YOU, To the extent that YOU did it to one of the

least of these my brothers, YOU did it to me".

Exactly to

whom

was Jesus addressing these words, and who were his "brothers?

The subject matter of Matthew chapter 25 deals with Christ's judgement of all

humans,

and verses

32 & 33 make it crystal clear that there only

two

groups standing before him - 'sheep' and 'goats'.

Keep in mind that during his ministry, Jesus referred to himself as

"the fine shepherd"

who would

give his life on behalf of his sheep. (

John 10:11-15)

He also made it clear, despite his apostles'

arguments about who was greater, that none of his sheep would be elevated over the others, and in

reality, they were all slaves.

(Luke 17:10) Jesus only had one

flock of sheep, and it was to this

complete

flock he was speaking. Some may protest that Jesus spoke of his "brothers", so therefore

his "brothers" must be separate from this group. Good point - but not backed up by the Bible.

Despite what several millions of people have been

led

to believe about the identity of Christ's

brothers, the

Scriptures lovingly instruct us as to who God and Christ

view are Jesus' "brothers".

Matthew 12:50 "

For whoever

does the will of my Father who is in heaven, the same is my brother,

and sister, and mother".

Mark 3:35 "

Whoever

does the will of God, this one is my brother and sister and mother.”

Luke 8:21

In reply he said to them: “My mother and my brothers are these who

hear the word of

God and do it."

John 1:12,13 "

However, as many as did receive him , to them he gave authority

to become God’s

children

, because they were exercising faith in his name

; and they were born, not

from blood or from a fleshly will or from man’s will, but from God".

John 15:14

YOU are my friends if YOU do what I am commanding YOU

Rom. 8:14

"For all

who are led by God’s spirit, these are God’s sons.

Jesus addressed Jehovah as his

Father. How were all

his disciples to address Jehovah? (Matt. 6:9)

Some may try to justify their false/misguided teaching by saying that "the Greek Scriptures were

primarily written for, and addressed to, "

anointed"

Christians, because all first century Christians

were of the

"anointed "class" .

Again, a false premise. If this was true, then Jesus' promise to the

thousands at the Sermon on the Mount about the meek inheriting the earth was inapplicable for his

audience,

because they were all going to heaven

!

Nowhere

in the Scriptures does it even infer

that everyone who put faith in Christ, automatically

became part of those with the heavenly hope.

If it were so, a strong case should be made for the repentant thief who died next to Jesus, to go to

heaven also. So what was Jesus really saying at

Matthew 25:40?

He was addressing and referring to every Christian

individually

as his sheep and brothers,

(regardless of their hope) and informing each one

individually

that because they had lovingly

adhered to his new commandment to show genuine love for

all

fellow Christians they would now

receive their appropriate reward.

(John 13:35)

• blondie
    blondie

Sheep & Goats

At Matthew 25:40,

Jesus said, "Truly I say to YOU, To the extent that YOU did it to one of the whom was Jesus addressing these words, and who were his "brothers? humans,

least of these my brothers, YOU did it to me".

Exactly to

The subject matter of Matthew chapter 25 deals with Christ's judgement of all

and verses 32 & 33 make it crystal clear that there only two groups standing before him - 'sheep' and 'goats'. "the fine shepherd" who would John 10:11-15)

Keep in mind that during his ministry, Jesus referred to himself as

give his life on behalf of his sheep. (

He also made it clear, despite his apostles' arguments about who was greater, that none of his sheep would be elevated over the others,

and in reality, they were all slaves.

(Luke 17:10) Jesus only had one flock of sheep, and it was to this complete flock he was speaking. Some may protest that Jesus spoke

of his "brothers", so therefore his "brothers" must be separate from this group. Good point - but not backed up by the Bible. led to believe about the identity of Christ's brothers, the

Scriptures lovingly instruct us as to who God and Christ view are Jesus' "brothers". Matthew 12:50 "

For whoever does the will of my Father who is in heaven, the same is my brother, Mark 3:35 "

Whoever does the will of God, this one is my brother and sister and mother.” Luke 8:21

In reply he said to them: “My mother and my brothers are these who hear the word of God and do it." John 1:12,13 "

However, as many as did receive him, to them he gave authority to become God’s children , because they were exercising faith in his

name ; and they were born, not from blood or from a fleshly will or from man’s will, but from God". John 15:14

YOU are my friends if YOU do what I am commanding YOU Rom. 8:14

"For all who are led by God’s spirit, these are God’s sons. Father. How were all

Jesus addressed Jehovah as his

his disciples to address Jehovah? (Matt. 6:9) anointed" Christians, because all first century Christians "anointed "class".

Some may try to justify their false/misguided teaching by saying that "the Greek Scriptures were

primarily written for, and addressed to, "

were of the

Again, a false premise. If this was true, then Jesus' promise to the because they were all going to heaven !

thousands at the Sermon on the Mount about the meek inheriting the earth was inapplicable for his

audience,

Nowhere

in the Scriptures does it even infer

that everyone who put faith in Christ, automatically Matthew 25:40?

became part of those with the heavenly hope.

If it were so, a strong case should be made for the repentant thief who died next to Jesus, to go to

heaven also. So what was Jesus really saying at

He was addressing and referring to every Christian

individually as his sheep and brothers, individually

(regardless of their hope) and informing each one

that because they had lovingly adhered to his new commandment to show genuine love for

all fellow Christians they would now receive their appropriate reward. (John 13:35)

and sister, and mother".

Despite what several millions of people have been

• kepler
    kepler

The restricted interpretation of "brothers" is a typical Joseph Russell raising by one's own bootstraps interpretation that leaves 2000 years of Christianity twisting in the wind.

The authors of the lesson naturally enough assume that there were brothers in the audience before Jesus distinct from some undetermined segment of the audience meeting the sermon's words with deaf ears.

Then, we are led to believe that the institutional church went "apostate" at some temporal point left to the imagination or given rhetorical needs of a moment. With this earthly body no longer Christian, it is then left until Russell and his successors to ride to the rescue in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Thereafter, any charitable or loving consideration among the Rutherford corporate legacy is supposed to be the only legitimate manifestation of what Jesus was referring to. Odd the absence of hospitals and teaching institutions even there. I guess that institutional charity must have been another examle of the apostasy.

Never mind that when Jesus was asked to explain the concept of my brother's keeper, he gave the example of a Samaritan traveller attending to his Judean neighbor beaten and left for dead by robbers; the Samaritan who had no affiliation with Jesus or knowledge of his presumed mission.

Coming from outside the fold, sheep, goats or whatever, my most frequent contact with this passage is an exhortation to participate in mission efforts for people who were stricken by disaster: flood, famine, fire, war or whatever, with only the understanding that the mission could reach them, not whether they could produce a fellowship card.

If that was a misunderstanding, I am not interested in finding out about the correct version - nor passing it on to anyone so wrongfully engaged.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

The misapplication of Mat 25:40 by WT is further evidence that the ‘Revealer of Secrets’ is not really communicating with Mother, WTBTS today!

Yes, the 'Revealer of Secrets' did communicate with Daniel.

No, the 'Revealer of Secrets' is not revealing matter to WT!

• *lost*
    *lost*

bumped

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

marked

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Searcher:

Some may protest that Jesus spoke of his "brothers", so therefore his "brothers" must be separate from this group.

That is the Society's argument. But if that is so, then, the Hebrew Christians mentioned in Hebrews 6:10 could not be "holy ones," since they "ministered to the holy ones."

(Hebrews 6:10 NWT) . . .For God is not unrighteous so as to forget YOUR work and the love YOU showed for his name, in that YOU have ministered to the holy ones and continue ministering.

Yet, at the end of the letter to Hebrews it says:

(Hebrews 13:24 NWT) . . .Give my greetings to all those who are taking the lead among YOU and to all the holy ones. . . .

Or, how about:

(Matthew 10:42 NWT) . . .And whoever gives one of these little ones only a cup of cold water to drink because he is a disciple, I tell YOU truly, he will by no means lose his reward."

By the Society's logic, if you give a cup of water to someone because he is a disciple (thus, ministering to him), that would be proof that you (as the water giver) are not a disciple.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Searcher:

I recently completed an analysis of Matthew 24 and 25 and ended with a very much different understanding of the parable of the sheep and goats than I previously had (even in my post just above).

Starting in 24:36, Jesus broaches the subject of his parousia. He points out "that day and hour" is not known by any but the Father. On that account, he says in verse 42, "Keep on the watch, therefore, because YOU do not know on what day YOUR Lord is coming."

From 24:43 thru 25:30 Jesus then goes on to unpack what 'keeping on the watch' would mean for "you," his disciples:

24:43, 44

They are compared to a householder needing to be ready for a thief in the night.

24:45-51

They are compared to a servant in a master's household, expected to be faithful at their assignment. Note also that they are told that if they mis-treat their fellow slaves, there would be major repercussions at the time of the master's return.

Another point to note is that as long as they are part of the master's household, they are 'in.' "Darkness" and 'gnashing of teeth' are only to be found "outside," where they will only find themselves if they misbehave or are "evil."

25:1-13

This compares the disciples to 10 virgins, already invited to the wedding banquet. Five get shut out because they fail to make long term preparation. Apparently signifying that last minute preparation won't do for a successful disciple. Thus the repeated warning to "keep on the watch" in verse 13. But note that they are already expecting to be a part of the wedding party with the bridegroom. It is only when they fail that they are shut out. Their knocking and pleas (of the 5 foolish ones) show that they were already expecting to be a part of the banquet.

25:14-30

This compares the disciples to 3 slaves within a wealthy master's household, each given significant funds and expected to carry on business in the master's behalf till he arrives back.

Again, as in the 'faithful slave' parable, the slaves are already "in" with the master as long as they are faithful. Similar also with the 10 virgins. As long as they do as expected they are "in," so to speak. only failing in their assignments causes them to be put out, or in the case of the virgins, locked out.

Now compare the circumstances revolving around the disciples (as laid out by Jesus above) with what is said of the sheep and goats.

25:31

The "Son of man arrives in his glory" appears to match the arrival of the master in the various parables previously spoken of above.

25:32

The king then 'gathers all the nations' and seperates them into two groups.

Noteworthy here is "all the nations." So far in the Olivet Discourse (Matt. 24 & 25) "all the nations" are set in contrast to the disciple community:

24:9 'You will be hated by "all the nations."

24:14 The good news will be preached to "all the nations" for a witness.

The sheep and goats are divided off at the kings arrival. But for the disciples in the parables above, they are already in, unless needing to be put out. For the disciples, there was always a clear demarcation between being in the household and "the darkness outside." Do you see that contrast?

25:34-46

Here is the really fascinating part. Both sheep and goats profess to not knowing that when they did good deeds to "the least of these my brothers" (a phrase which seems to be all inclusive of the disciple community - from greatest to least, as it were), that they were doing these things (or failing to) to Jesus. Both sheep and goats act as if there is no ongoing relationship between themselves and Jesus. The wording does, in fact, seem to differentiate Jesus' disciples from these sheep and goats from among "all the nations."

For the disciples in the previous parables, especially in the F&DS parable, how they treat their fellow slaves is clearly linked with how their master will treat them. (Compare John 13:34, 35, where being a disciple is also clearly linked with love for fellow disciples.) How could those same disciples, if they are also the "sheep" of the parable, profess to not seeing any relationship between their treatment of Jesus' disciples and how he would react to them?

The idea that there could be such last minute survivors (as it were) of the arrival of the king, might be hinted at in earlier parts of Matthew:

10:40-42

. . ."He that receives YOU receives me also, and he that receives me receives him also that sent me forth. 41 He that receives a prophet because he is a prophet will get a prophet's reward, and he that receives a righteous man because he is a righteous man will get a righteous man's reward. 42 And whoever gives one of these little ones only a cup of cold water to drink because he is a disciple, I tell YOU truly, he will by no means lose his reward."

20:1-16

This is the parable of he 11th hour workers which comes right on the heals of Peter asking what reward would be received for following Jesus. Jesus responds with rewards in this time and also "everlasting life." (Mt 19:27-29) Then Jesus includes a "But," followed by the 11th hour parable which highlights the idea that "many who are first will be last, and the last first." (Compare also Jesus' kind words to the robber who spoke well of/to him in Luke 23:39-43. I mention it as an example of the kind of disposition Jesus has.)

Outside of Matthew:

Zechariah 14:16

Refers to, "everyone who is left remaining out of all the nations that are coming against Jerusalem."

It would be difficult to see why Jehovah would describe those already considered his people as being among "all the nations that are coming against Jerusalem." (Compare the whole of Zech 14, where God's people are "you," and the enemy nations are "they" and "them.")

Exodus

Might possibly be prefigured by the "vast mixed company" that goes with the Jews leaving Egypt.

I have some other thoughts about this, but I better cut a long post short here. I wasn't expecting to arrive at this conclusion about the sheep and goats. But it is hard for me to reconcile them in any other way at the moment, based on the entire context of Matthew 24 & 25.

Any thoughts (for or against) would be appreciated.

Take Care

• mP
    mP

mat 24+ are full of lies, like the earthquake, eclipse and so on. Im surprised anybody believes anything from Matthew.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit