Do the current heirarchy still refer to C.T.Russell as pastor ? or J.F.Rutherford as judge?

by smiddy 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• smiddy
    smiddy

In my time as a jw much ado was made about christendom and their titles for those in authourity or leadership roles ( Math.23:9 ) and that was a sign of false religion,and in the 60`s witnesses rationalised such designations as CO ,DO, PO,, etc.only referrered to the office they held , it was not a title .{ Although wouldn`t Elder come into that catergory ?}

So does the society still refer to Russell and Rutherford by their titles ?

smiddy

• St George of England
    St George of England

I have not seen these titles used for a long time. Note this denial a few months ago in the Bearing Witness (group study) book:

*** bt chap. 12 p. 98 par. 13 “Speaking With Boldness by the Authority of Jehovah” ***

Charles Taze Russell, an outstanding teacher who took the lead in the preaching work in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, set an example in this regard. He wrote: “We want no homage, no reverence, for ourselves or our writings; nor do we wish to be called Reverend or Rabbi.” Brother Russell’s humble attitude reflected that of Paul and Barnabas. Likewise, our purpose in preaching is not to bring glory to ourselves but to help people to turn to “the living God.”

But Pastor was OK! Look up the definition of pastor WTS.

George

PS I've not seen either of these guys refered to as 'President' lately

• wasblind
    wasblind

Proclaimers of God's Kingdom book is where I've seem these title's used

• Quendi
    Quendi

Thanks to the Internet, both Charles Russell and Joseph Rutherford have lost much of their luster in Witness lore. That is because anyone can now go online and read their writings thus discovering just how skewed, inaccurate, racist and wrong-headed they were on so many points. Prior to the present-day, WTS literature would talk about these men in the same way the Roman Catholic Church extolled its saints. Now only passing references are made and the books they wrote are scarcely mentioned. Those writings are the paper trail anybody can follow and so conclude that WTS claims of being “Jehovah’s earthly organization” are completely false. So it is in the Society’s interests to mention both these men and their books as little as possible.

Quendi

• blondie
    blondie

Just really older jws might, There hasn't really been a President in the WTS since the GB was formed in the early 70's. Couple that with a supreme lack of knowledge of their own history, jws barely remember there was a Charles Taze Russell or a Joseph Rutherford.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I find it interesting that during my childho0d, most KH witnesses did know Russell or Rutherford. Among better educated, long time Witnesses, Russell was never called Russell but Pastor Russell. Rutherford was only called Rutherford when they explained to me who he was the first few times. He was always the Judge, never Joe. I wonder if very close powerful Bethelites called him Joe.

Was he even a justice of the peace? I don't call myself President of the United States Band on the Run or Pope Band on the Run. Curious.

There was such a difference in authority towards The Judge and KNorr or Franz. They needed alliances. He just was. Reminds me of Stalin.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Quendi said it well.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Fascinating thread topic. Back in the 1960s, when my parents joined this, the titles ALWAYS were "pastor" and "judge".

While I doubt this is still true today, it was a real sense of creature worship.

BTW - Knorr was always referred to as "BROTHER Knorr". He was viewed like John F. Kennedy by the witnesses of the time.

We knew very little, incidentally, of Freddy Franz until during and after the 1975 scandal.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS has mentioned "Judge Rutherford" but in recollections of older jws. Mentions of "Pastor" Russell follow the same vein. The WTS wants the rank and file to think that these are individual jws choosing on their own, not directed by the WTS. It's just as the re-written history of saying that Russell never said he was the FDS, other WTS members did.

*** w04 10/1 p. 25 An Education That Lasted a Lifetime ***My parents were religious, although they never attended church—mainly because of the distance from our farm to town. Nevertheless, in the early 1930’s, Mother began to listen to Bible lectures given by Judge Rutherford, which were broadcast each week from a radio station in Adelaide. I thought that Judge Rutherford was some preacher in Adelaide, and I had little interest. But each week Mother keenly awaited Rutherford’s broadcasts and listened intently as his voice crackled forth from our antique battery-operated radio set.

*** w01 7/1 p. 26 We Put Jehovah to the Test ***On the back of the booklets was information about the recently released book Enemies, a fiery exposé of false religion. We decided to obtain it. Before we could put our request in the mail, however, a Witness knocked on our door and offered us that very book. That did it! We stopped visiting churches and started going to the meetings of the Camden, New Jersey, Company of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Just a few months later, on Sunday, July 31, 1938, a group of about 50 of us met on Sister Stackhouse’s lawn—at the house where I had been trying to sell Easter cakes—and listened to a recorded talk by Judge Rutherford on baptism. Then we changed clothes in the house, and 19 of us got baptized in a nearby creek.

*** yb10 p. 136 Albania ***

“BELIEVED TO BE THE MOST WIDESPREAD BROADCAST IN HISTORY”“What is believed to be the most widespread broadcast in history will be attempted,” announced the British newspaper LeedsMercury in early 1936. “The occasion will be a speech at Los Angeles by Judge Rutherford, the evangelist.” J. F. Rutherford, who took the lead among Jehovah’s Witnesses at the time, was to deliver a discourse that would be transmitted throughout the United States and Great Britain by radiotelephone and relayed to a number of European countries. “There is one European Country in which the speech will certainly not be heard,” concluded the Mercury article. “That is Albania, which has no telephone service.”

A few weeks after the discourse, however, Nicholas Christo in the Albanian congregation in Boston wrote to the world headquarters: “We wish to inform you that from communications recently received from Albania Judge Rutherford’s speech on ‘Separating the Nations’ was heard in that land, thus adding another country to the already long list of those that heard it. It was picked up at two different places . . . , apparently by shortwave transmission. . . . The friends were thrilled beyond expression at hearing Judge Rutherford’s voice.”

*** yb11 p. 176 Estonia ***Knowing how fearful officials in Estonia were of anything having to do with Communism, the clergy falsely claimed that the Witnesses had Communist links. Quick to react to anything that they felt could weaken the nation, Estonian authorities banned the lectures in 1934. However, not everyone agreed with the ban. A schoolboy wrote the following letter in English:

Dear Watch Tower and Judge Rutherford:

I am sorry that our government in Estonia has forbidden your lectures in our broadcasting. I am a schoolboy, a pupil. My parents are not rich: they earn with fatiguing work a living to their children. But the love and hope to the Lord is like a sunbeam on their faces. I was severely ill in the winter, and then were your lectures in the broadcasting the only thing that have me consoled. The tears in my eyes were then the tears of happiness. . . . Where are these lectures now? . . . I began to learn the English, and this is my first letter written in this language, all without a dictionary. . . . With best wishes and greetings to Judge Rutherford.

Since the “slave” of Jesus’ illustration is not just one Christian man but is the anointed congregation of Christ’s disciples, the “faithful and discreet slave” class continued to serve on after the death of C. T. Russell. However, the sense of appreciation and indebtedness toward Russell moved many of his associates to view him as the fulfillment of the “faithful and discreet slave.” This view was prominently featured in the book published in July of 1917 by People’s Pulpit Association of Brooklyn, New York. This book was called “The Finished Mystery” and furnished a commentary of the Bible books of Revelation and Ezekiel and The Song of Solomon. On its Publishers page the book was called the “Posthumous Work of Pastor Russell.” Such a book and religious attitude tended to establish a religious sect centered around a man. Such a drift toward sectarianism was halted, however, by the publication early in 1927 of the articles “The Son and Servant” and “Servant—Good and Evil,” in The Watch Tower under date of February 1 and 15, 1927. These articles showed that the “servant” of Matthew 24:45 was a composite one.—Isaiah 43:10-12.

*** w98 5/15 pp. 14-15 par. 18 Christian Faith Will Be Tested ***For example, another kind of test came upon the remnant shortly after Brother Charles T. Russell died. That was a test of their loyalty and faith. Who was ‘the faithful slave’ of Matthew 24:45? Some felt that it was Brother Russell himself, and they balked at cooperating with new organizational arrangements. If he had been the slave, what were the brothers to do now that he had died? Should they follow some newly designated individual, or was it now time to recognize that Jehovah was using, not just one person, but an entire group of Christians as an instrument, or slave class?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Interesting b/c I heard more about Freddie Franz, (never Fred or Frederick. KNorr was never Nathan Knorr, Nat, and never Brother KNorr outside of the KH.

My father and uncle dislike KNorr b/c they worked in the factory. My mom's family cared more about doctrine. Looking back, Knorr was seen as an organizational genius but never a doctrine interpreter. Knorr was bringing Witnesses to the world, not just the United States. Even if you discount convention puffing, the JWs do grow very quickly. Freddie Franz did the more important, long lasting work. B/c I never heard of "New Light." NO, the WT policy never changed. Even my Mom never volunteered that it changed many times during her young life. I did here the difference between Pastoral Russell and the Judge was great. My family was split down the middle. A prosperous family business was broken up and siblings NEVER communicated. The only sign of family loyalty was that the Witnesses were offered a large discount on funerals. Imagine "snare and racket" if you own a funeral home and need clergy referrals.

My mom would only tell me her version of the truth (which was the truth) if I stumbled upon old literature. I was so young and could not believe my ears when I heard Bethel celebrated Christmas. There was a large Christmas tree on display during the season. In fact, I emphatically told her her memory was wrong b/c I was raised no one says anything that puts the WT in a less than perfect stance. The anointed were sealed in time when I was active. Right before I left, the most shocking thing happened. OUr 30 ish overseer announced he was remnant. The family could not condone this outrage. Bethel was notified with much deference. We were told it was a ok. I will never forget the shock. Months later, I heard that some of the 144,000 in heaven before the throne of the Lamb, fell away to Satan, and had to be replaced.

Frankly, I don't recall such changes in my time. The biggest was that the remnant was no longer tied to people in the first Pastor Russell time period. Most Witnesses in my great grandfathers time saw themselves as remnant. My grandmother's generation never expected to be remnant members. IN fact, we never said "annointed" or "faithful and discreet slave." The only term I recall is remnant. The overseer's daughters were the same age as I. They were soooo perfect but even they failed when I informed that my ggf was remnant. My main fear was that he could see me using the toilet or taking a bath from heaven. Not a good thought. Also, I missed him and his dog, Curly, and I wanted a reunion post-Armageddon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit