how do I cover my tracks?

by hungry4life 13 Replies latest jw friends

• hungry4life
    hungry4life

SYN great idea but all of our volcano's are old and inactive. then again with my luck it would just spew it back out. Abaddon since he is obsessive and has nothing but time on his hands yet no sophisticated equipment I think that I will do the defrag thing. Since it sounds like it will leave all his programs alone. He used to defrag the thing all the time and with your directions I am sure I can do it. One question when you talked about shredding the file is that the same as deleting then defragging? Should I defrag it nightly until Monday or is it the same thing to just do it once? Thank You all for your help!

• Xander
    Xander

Defrag once is fine (after all, once everything is sorted, re-sorting it won't do anything else).

Make sure you remove your identity from programs like Outlook (if you are using it for mail). I'm not sure how to make an outlook identity unrecoverable, though (which suchs, because it stores your email, contact list, etc). If he doesn't have anything in Outlook, you can just uninstall it, delete any *.pst or *.dbx files remaining, then defrag. If you're using webmail, that is not a problem.

You'll probably want to uninstall any programs you installed, too.

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana
  • AbaddonTwo
    AbaddonTwo

Xanders on the money; de-frag once.

You can search for .pst (for Outlook) by clicking on <Start>, <Find>, <Files and Folders>, type in '*.pst' (not the ''s), hit <Find NOw>

For Outlook Express click on <Tools>, <Options>, Choose the tab at the top with <Maintenance> on it, and click on the button <Store Folder>. Write down where it is, go to it, delete its contents.

Delete anything else personal, like the folders I listed earlier.

Then do the de-frag.

This gets a 7.5 on the 1-10 scale of getting rid of data, where 8 is recoverable by someone very good with special software, 9 is better than that, and 10 is a volcano... as I say, if you want to be very sure, go to DOS, type in format C:, and lie to him... guys believe the most stupid things about women and machines, as most think you need testicles to type into a computer!

Oh, it you have ICQ or anything like that, delete (uninstall it), as otherwise he'll have access to that stuff.

Good luck

• hungry4life
    hungry4life

Xander and Abaddon Thank You ,Thank You again for all of your great help. I love the way you type in all the details so that it's easy to follow. If anybody who posted here is ever in Northern California (anywhere near Sacramento) I owe you lunch!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit