by Iamallcool 21 Replies latest jw friends

• transhuman68
  • torrent
    torrent

Thanks. You all are great!

• andys
  • andys
    andys

I have an idea, someone from New York Personalize your license plate that say TTATT.................................

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Interesting, that wiki reference to the origins of the expression "Kool-Aid".

I have a feeling it comes from a sci-fi story of the fifties or sixties, or, just possibly, something like Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World", or Orwell's "1984".

It's very apt. I'm sure the original literary reference is from a story, could even be Ray Bradbury, where it's a drink used to pacify the masses.

Can anyone add to that?

• elderelite
    elderelite

Charlie, its far worse than a story referance. It refers to jim jones and johnestown. Mass suicide by drinking cyinide laced koolaide

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

is koolaid a real drink in the USA then, ElderE?

• Ding
    Ding

Kool-Aid is a real drink.

The negative reference comes from the fact that in 1978 People's Temple cult leader Jim Jones took his followers to Guyana where they committed mass suicide by drinking Kool-Aid laced with cyanide.

So "drinking the Kool-Aid" has come to mean people mindlessly doing whatever their authority figure cult leader or leaders tell them to do, even if it destroys them and their families.

An example is JWs who disown and shun their own family members because a group of men they don't even know tell them to do it.

In a broader sense, it would apply to JWs who consider all independent thinking to be evil and govern their whole lives by what the "faithful and discreet slave" tells them to do, never questioning anything they are told, even though what the organization calls "the truth" continually changes.

As a further example of that, I think of JWs who gave up jobs and homes and neglected medical treatment because the WTS hyped 1975 as "an appropriate time for God to act" in bringing Armageddon and the new system. Despite the impoverishment and health problems this caused them, many of these people kept on trusting the organization and nearly 40 years later are still believing everything the GB tells them.

They consider this blind devotion to be a great virtue for which Jehovah is soon to reward them.

For everyone else, it's an example of another group of people "drinking the Kool-Aid" that is destroying their lives and families.

• baltar447
    baltar447

Actually it was Flavoraid not koolaid used at Jonestown.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

It makes it easier to accept TTATT once I know the exact meaning.

No, actually it doesn't. We actually expect you to just accept the truth of the acronym even before you know what it stands for; test me, it makes it easier to accept some claims based on faith. Then once you BELIEVE TTATT, only then will you fully believe it and understand....

Baltar477 said:

Actually it was Flavoraid not koolaid used at Jonestown.

Now THAT is lame, if true, as it suggests Jim was too cheap to spring for the real deal (and instead went with the generic rip-off, which was probably on sale).... I mean, what was he planning on doing? Taking the few $$$ he saved on the cheaper stuff with him?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit